Centre console help

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Centre console help  (Read 2890 times)

Offline C0BRA

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Centre console help
« on: July 31, 2023, 02:20:45 pm »
Gday all,

I have a 1965 couple that did not come with a centre console or A/C. I recently purchased a full length 1965 console without A/C from a friend and it doesn't appear to sit correctly? Aside from having to change the top plate from manual to automatic, the area underneath the front dash is raised by about 1cm (see attached photo). The rest of the console sits pretty flush with the hump. I've trawled through the forums and could only find examples where convertible owners needed to cut back. Again I have a coupe so it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone experience similar issue or know of anyone in Sydney who can help install. Cheers

Offline Gallop

• Thoroughbred
Re: Centre console help
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 12:54:33 pm »
Based upon images on the web of cars with original consoles, yours seems to have a big gap between trans tunnel and the flared edge of the console. Is this gap causing the console to sit too high? I realise if you adjust your console to have the flared eadge sitting on the trans tunnel, the back seat end will stick up. Looks like the bend in the console is not the right angle. Reproduction parts not fitting is a common issue. Do you have the front console bracket installed? The could help pull the console down.

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 03:46:22 pm »
Is there a difference in console body's between manual and auto? I would have thought not but this looks like it's meant for a wider transmission hump.

My other thought is that its a genuine convertible console that is built to take a change in transmission tunnel.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 03:55:41 pm »
There's no difference between the tunnels of a manual or auto car.

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 05:15:11 pm »
I am not good on 65's but I looked consoles up on the web and I think that is how they are meant to look.  It wouldn't be the first time that Ford neglected fit and finish......

Offline 6R07K

• Stallion
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 10:06:32 pm »
That is just how they are styled, I seem to recall it helping to put the wiring away.
Cheers

Ben
Lifes short, play hard.