Technical & General Discussion Area > Importing Cars & Parts - General Freight

Has anyone used DAZMAC and Oceans LA recently?

<< < (3/4) > >>

BAC:

--- Quote from: 67FBGT on May 04, 2022, 10:42:08 am ---what do you save by buying out of the USA sight unseen? Far safer to buy a car already here IMO.
--- End quote ---

No doubt there are many ways for things to go pear shaped, but you have way more choice of colour/spec./etc. buying from the US and even in 2022 it's still cheaper than here.

Just need to make sure you go into it with your eyes wide open and take every precaution to minimise the risk.

jksmiths:
Thanks all for your responses so far. Ive been talking to a guy in California about his Mustang and he has pointed me in the direction of West Coast Shipping who seem to be quite good and also have an Escrow  service. https://www.wcshipping.com/

I'll definitely get an inspection done. One of the two Mustangs Im enquiring about at the moment is a restoration job but it will still be good to ensure there is no asbetos.

The reason why Ive started looking in US is I have been looking in Australia for 4 months and everything is overpriced and as mentioned it is hard to find the exact spec I am after.

Will start looking now at getting import approvals done myself - I was under the assumption the shipping company would handle this but if its needed before the purchase is complete I can sort out.

BAC:

--- Quote from: jksmiths on May 04, 2022, 12:05:08 pm ---I'll definitely get an inspection done. One of the two Mustangs Im enquiring about at the moment is a restoration job but it will still be good to ensure there is no asbetos.
--- End quote ---
It's one thing to get the car checked for asbestos before shipping, but unless the company doing it is accredited by the ABF (Customs) they reserve the right to check it again at your expense once it arrives in Australia. 
As far as I know, there are only a handful of testing labs in the US that are recognised here.

--- Quote from: jksmiths on May 04, 2022, 12:05:08 pm ---Will start looking now at getting import approvals done myself - I was under the assumption the shipping company would handle this but if its needed before the purchase is complete I can sort out.
--- End quote ---
Some Australian based shippers/customs agents will do this for you but they will add a fee for this service when it's really easy to do it yourself.

jksmiths:
Looking through the stuff for the import approval its a little daunting. For the approval I assume Im going for the Older Vehicles category

"This criterion is not intended to cater for vehicle requiring significant restoration before being suitable for use on a public road (non-RAV entry import approvals should be used for this, until the vehicle is suitable for use) or vehicles that are new replicas of old vehicles, even when bearing the identification of the older vehicle."

Not sure how strict this one is. The ones Im looking at will be driveable so I assume I should be fine.

"If the vehicle has been significantly modified, the modifications were completed more than 25 years ago
For a car or light commercial vehicle, significant modifications include:
- body modifications
- chassis modifications
- modifications to the drivetrain
- braking modifications
- steering conversion. "

Im hoping the word 'significantly' is important here - most of the ones I have looked at have had something done to them... especially brakes.

BAC:

--- Quote from: jksmiths on May 04, 2022, 12:36:58 pm ---For a car or light commercial vehicle, significant modifications include:
- body modifications
- chassis modifications
- modifications to the drivetrain
- braking modifications
- steering conversion.
--- End quote ---

As long as the car is not obviously a resto-mod you will be fine.  All they want is a few photos that show an original looking car in terms of bodywork.
They have no way of telling if the drivetrain, brakes, etc. have been modified, so as long as the chassis hasn't been tubbed or 20" rims with pizza plate brake rotors installed all is good.  :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version