Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque Pre 1973

RHD Conversion

<< < (2/4) > >>

sms777:
Cut and weld steering components is a dangerous practice and will not get past engineering when it comes to roadworthy. I have used XW-XY Falcon components in the past, they are very similar, the only problem was matching pitman arm to the XF box but spacers-reducers are available to match different pivot shaft sizes.
Google is your best friend sometimes. 
To add to my post...I have seen plenty of dodgy conversions in the past using XF boxes. It's not that simple. To get the correct alignment with the column you will have to relocate it on the chassis and lower it slightly, which means cutting your chassis open, relocate the chrush tubes and weld a whole new mounting plate for the XF box. Don't ask for template or dimensions because every car is different. Tolerances were very loose back in the days.   

SXTY8:
Which is why I reckon to bite the bullet and go with the rack.
After all the cost and effort to convert to RHD is done, in a few thousand K's you're likely to have some play in your steering with the draglink setup but not with the rack and pinion.
The only reason that I didn't go with it on my car is because I wanted to keep it completely original.
My 2c.  :smile01:

70-4V:
I believe here in QLD you can get welded drag links through engineering if they pass x-ray inspection, but something I would have to double check. sms777 You are right about dodgy conversions I have seen pictures of some myself where they have hacked into the frame rail - not happening on my car. That's why I am asking as many people as possible. That's why I appreciate every 2cents worth. 

Dwayne:
Shaun Power has John Greene's conversion templates.

From memory, they used an XF power steering box, and a cut & shut drag link. The drag link needs to be welded by a qualified welder and also x-rayed for engineering approval.

Happy birthday too Shaun!

scedd1:
John Greene did the engineering for my 68 coupe (frankenstang).
18 years & 150,000kms later i havent had any problem with my cut, welded & X-rayed drag link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version