Brake Booster for 65 Mustang with Manual Transmission

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Brake Booster for 65 Mustang with Manual Transmission  (Read 22059 times)

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Brake Booster for 65 Mustang with Manual Transmission
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2017, 10:10:01 am »

Note to anyone doing this: this booster JUST fits in the space without removing the export brace and hood i.e. any bigger and you'll be running into more issues and have to start removing more parts from the car.

Bummer! Just had a look at mine. I have a clear inch clearance vertically and half and inch horizontally from the top front edge of the master and the shock tower stub the original brace bolted to.

Offline HAMBURGLAR

• Worked
  • I NEED MORE MONEY
  • Name: mark
  • Car: 66 A code fastback 6R09A
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2017, 12:40:24 pm »
Hey Ryan , just saw your post and was told by CJ Pony parts that the front bowl does the rear brakes.  I'm in the process of fitting a booster kit from Mustang Steve in the states so i can use my willwood m/c. It uses a 9 inch booster from a fox body which sits right against the firewall and no notching of braces required even with the extra long willwood unit.
66 A code fastback 289w , t5 , 3.8truetrak.
56 F100 Deluxe custom cab. Major frame off resto. 347w , AOD , Custom 9inch , 3.7 powertrax , IFS , Parallel 4 link rear. Airbags , Low enough to kill ants. Still in progress.

Offline Me!

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2017, 03:03:06 pm »
Hey Ryan , just saw your post and was told by CJ Pony parts that the front bowl does the rear brakes.  I'm in the process of fitting a booster kit from Mustang Steve in the states so i can use my willwood m/c. It uses a 9 inch booster from a fox body which sits right against the firewall and no notching of braces required even with the extra long willwood unit.

Thanks for confirming that info! I'll need to switch mine the other way around then. I am hoping that will answer why I am getting very hard pedal feel now (as if it's not boosted).

With my Scott Drake setup, the length is not an issue. It clears the shock towers. However, notching the the small corner does help with fitting the whole setup in and maneuvering it into position. Also, the master cylinder cap and clip comes very very close to it. 

Offline 65FastbackAcodeRestoration

• Thoroughbred
Just purchased the Scott Drake PBC-M1 power booster with dual master cylinder but didn’t realise the setup won’t fit without notching the shock tower bracket-not really interested in this as keeping the car stock in all other aspects and engine bay/braces have already been professionally painted!

This is to suit manual trans, front disc rear drum car all stock otherwise to suit aftermarket Kelsey Hayes disc kit.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what else I could use that doesn’t require modifying the car?!

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2020, 08:16:09 pm »
Just purchased the Scott Drake PBC-M1 power booster with dual master cylinder but didn’t realise the setup won’t fit without notching the shock tower bracket-not really interested in this as keeping the car stock in all other aspects and engine bay/braces have already been professionally painted!

This is to suit manual trans, front disc rear drum car all stock otherwise to suit aftermarket Kelsey Hayes disc kit.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what else I could use that doesn’t require modifying the car?!
If a shorter master cylinder will help you, try an XB Falcon M/C on your current booster. They're much shorter. I'm running a 7" dual diaphragm universal booster with XB M/C. I have an export brace fitted & don't have any clearance issues. My car is an auto though.

Evan.