Camaro racing in Supercars

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Camaro racing in Supercars  (Read 3290 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Camaro racing in Supercars
« on: July 13, 2020, 07:09:17 pm »
Hi All,
In Speedcafes web site latest poll "Should Supercars still pursue Camaro for Gen3" it's neck and neck in the poll.
Why would anyone not want to see the best of Ford and now! GM go head to head, although modified to suit Supercars.
I say let them go head to head as they are with limited modifications,  add Dodge, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Toyota, Datsun.
But there must be one million production cars, big fat tyres, limited aero or massive aero!

I never thought I'd welcome back the Datsun GTR or the Seirra because they are not the cars we drove, but I didn't think we'd lose the Australian car market.

What is the next move Supercars should make!

Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:10:53 pm by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
Re: Camaro racing in Supercars
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 10:04:30 am »
IMHO they need to nuke V8SC (I still cant get over the ugly mustang mods to fit the spec)

Would love some version of Touring Cars, based on what you can buy - different classes to have a full field etc

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 10:15:46 am »
I voted "no" because while the spectacle would be great, it just doesn't make sense.
You can't buy one here any more (or shortly IIRC) and there's no plans for a RHD Camaro - indeed I think I read a while back that they may not be replacing the current generation Camaro?
There needs to be some other car introduced - with the relative success of the Mustang surely other manufacturers are interested? BMW maybe (although what's the upside - would BMW want to see their elite white-collar jewels dulled by the blue-collar Mustang? I don't think so).

I think the only way forward for the series is to produce a chassis that anyone can wrap anything around - although the manufacturers would come down like a ton of bricks when an AMG or BMW 'silhouette' is wrapped around some space-frame thing with 4 wheels and someone else's engine.

Troubled times....
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline teacherspet

• Worked
  • Name: Pete
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 12:17:19 pm »
Personally, I think that Supercars have hit a wall & the only way forward is the new TA/2 category. I really can't see any new manufacturers wanting to invest huge sums of money in what seems like a dying category.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 01:00:19 pm »
actually - I hadn't even heard of this - http://ta2racingaustralia.com/about/

That could be a winner apart from the whole GM engine package to enable parity. Having a Mopar car with a GM engine, or a Ford with a GM engine would totally kill it for me. If they had the manufacturers engine allowed (same as we currently have with S/C I guess) and Jeep introduced the Challengers here then it would make sense, but while they're great looking cars, you can't buy them here which means no factory involvement so limited appeal.

However the cost control element is good, but they have to have an element of 'win on sunday, sell on monday' to really resonate with the audience.

Something needs to change
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 06:52:44 pm »
Not sure what the answer is, Nobody really wants a production car racing unless we had cars like the Falcon and dunnydoor. Motor packages seems about right atm, its just a matter of what you wrap it in. Red and blue has run its race. Only option is GMC vs ford vs Nissan +++? Controlled chassis weight, controlled wheelbase and track Do not want a 2 brand series. World has moved on. Other option, Touring car masters as main class and supercars as support!!!

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 07:32:52 pm »
Hi Guys,
When the TA2s came on the seen I was so excited by the look of them, raw! but as expected I have not seen one race, not on free to air? I'm to young to remember the 70's days of Pete Geoghegan and Alan Moffat, Warwick Farm, was a young boy when I saw Catalina Park, Katoomba! Photos of this era look great!
Yes, V8SC's are struggling and I don't have time for the F1 circus. Like to see the S5000's at Bathurst later in the year, apparently!
Cheers Phil.

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 10:36:08 am »
Hi Guys,

Have you seen the line up for Bathurst International! TCR, TCM, S5000 and TA2 plus LMP3 and supports!
If you're not in Bathurst in November you're going to miss a great weekend of racing.
I'm going to wet myself, at the top of McPhillamy Park, not the Bathurst 1000 crowd!
How good does it get!

Cheers Phil.

Offline Rocket30

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 69 Mach1 428 R Code
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 04:11:42 pm »
I looked at the TA2 cars and they look like dinosaurs. All i could see is a very very old speedway car even though they may be fun to drive.

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 02:09:41 am »
Hey Rocket,
I'll be at Forrest's Elbow by myself then in November.
Funny it's called Forrest's Elbow because there's no Forest there, just bush, Maybe it should be called Bush Elbow!
Hahaha :grin: named after Jack Forrest!
Between Sulman and Mcphillamy parks are good viewing to. Was there when the Brabham BT62 did a few laps, they turned the screws up three laps in and I sensed it was doing great times, I timed it with my phone and I think it was 1.58 with restrictors in, but when it runs it may have further restrictors, what is the use of making a car and then slow it down. Category racing gone mad!
Now that the corners are sponsored it's hard to keep up!
Unsure how they'll handle crowd control for the 1000, I was on Hell Corner last year packed in like sardines, Thursday, Friday and Saturday I could pick a great spot, not on Sunday, I'm not getting there at 5am to get a good spot, not after spending three days there already!
Gotta remember the tyre quality and tyre allocation they get for TA2.
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 04:31:51 pm by AussiePhil »

Offline TRIKYMIKY

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Michael Skeh
  • Car: 2017GT coupe
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 08:43:52 am »
Hi Phil.  When it is all said and done, the V8 Supercars are a SPEC build, and not always the same dimensions as the real road car.  So the body shell is basically all you see as Ford or GM.  A bit like the F1 cars.  They are regulated to hell and back.  I am not even sure if Ford are allowed to run the Quad Cam engine that we enjoy so much.  The Utes used to run it, but limited in other respects.
I am of the opinion that the Mustang version of the Supercars has a low profile Aerodynamic advantage.  I always have a problem finding mine (even bright yellow as it is) in the shopping centre car park.  But ya gotta love it dont ya.

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 03:17:20 pm »
I am not even sure if Ford are allowed to run the Quad Cam engine that we enjoy so much.  The Utes used to run it, but limited in other respects.

Hell no, they are still using pushrod windsor engines, I guess because the Holdens haven't had a multi cam OHC option available to them. If they let DJR loose with the Coyote engines the current performance advantage the Mustangs have would blow out significantly. The Nissans, however, and the Mercs and Volvos when they were running, were allowed multi cam OHC engines. I guess they were never enough of a threat for this to be a performance parity problem.

I believe that engine parity is controlled by the cars having a sealed torque measuring device installed which sends data back to the regulators and any car exceeding the mandated torque maximum is penalised (torque being a scientifically measurable phenomenon unlike horsepower which is just a mathematical construct derived from torque). However, even if torque is equal across the field, the multi cam OHC engines should theoretically spin up faster to the also mandated maximum RPM and thereby have a performance advantage.

Offline pgold

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Gold
  • Car: 69 sportsroof
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 05:54:09 pm »
If you U-tube Kelly Brothers Mustang engine build. The 5L Windsor looks to be topped with a Boss heads design and custom EFI. So a 2020 mustang (1969 sportsroof styling) with a custom 2020 build of a 1969 BOSS 302. Why- cost of developing building Coyote ? Or more likely a GEN3 not in the ball park with out cam timing` and the GMH boys seem to control parity.

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 06:28:51 pm »
If you U-tube Kelly Brothers Mustang engine build. The 5L Windsor looks to be topped with a Boss heads design and custom EFI. So a 2020 mustang (1969 sportsroof styling) with a custom 2020 build of a 1969 BOSS 302. Why- cost of developing building Coyote ? Or more likely a GEN3 not in the ball park with out cam timing` and the GMH boys seem to control parity.

Roland has a lot of clout but Scotty is still leading the championship again in this weird year.