How long to keep Tyres

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: How long to keep Tyres  (Read 2925 times)

Offline 6R07K

• Stallion
How long to keep Tyres
« on: September 08, 2019, 09:46:25 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering how long people are keeping tyres, I know various sources say regardless of wear the rubber degrades and mention time frames before they should be replaced.

Specifically, my tyres are around 9 years old with 15,000km and in mint condition along with spending 99.9% of that time in the shed out of the sun.
Cheers

Ben
Lifes short, play hard.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
Re: How long to keep Tyres
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 11:46:21 pm »
You will get plenty of people telling you that you should replace tyres after 5-7 years regardless of wear and/or how they've been used/stored.  Then you'll see a video of some guy with his 60's muscle car still running on the original tyres from the factory!

My 2c worth is if (a) the tread and sidewalls still seem pliable and haven't cracked or gone hard and (b) you drive your old car like it's an old car (i.e. sensibly and mainly on weekends, etc.) then it's OK to keep using the tyres you have.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 12:57:51 am »
on a daily-use car I would change them after 10 years, regardless the tread left. On a weekend cruiser I’d agree with Brian, if tyres are not hard and/or cracking, then I’d use them for a little longer
fred

Offline Paul Clark

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:57:25 am »
Just be very careful of your insurance cover, I have heard of people being knocked back on insurance claims because their tyres were too old.

Offline 6R07K

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 06:41:38 pm »
Hadn't considered the insurance point!!
Cheers

Ben
Lifes short, play hard.

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 06:57:42 pm »
 Some manufacturers (perhaps all) have moulding codes on their tyres, so they can be dated...,

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 08:01:31 pm »
Some manufacturers (perhaps all) have moulding codes on their tyres, so they can be dated...,

A date code is part of the requirement to meet the US DOT spec so I'd expect any tyre made in the last 20-30 years to have it.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 08:08:52 pm »
Hadn't considered the insurance point!!

To deny cover on the basis of tyres being unsafe due to being excessively old, the insurer would have to prove (a) that they contributed to the accident and (b) you should have reasonably known them to be unsafe.

Given there is no hard and fast rule about safety of tyres vs. age, it couldn't be reasonably assumed you should have known them to be unsafe due to age alone.  If they're bald and/or with obvious physical damage then that's another matter but if they look OK I can't see how an insurer could assert you should have known them to be unsafe.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 08:31:47 pm »
It would certainly be nit picking to a high degree, if my insurance company was going to be that anal l’d be inclined to find someone else,