Protecting my new Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Protecting my new Mustang  (Read 3019 times)

Offline 9TAG9

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 2019 Mustang GT
Protecting my new Mustang
« on: July 18, 2019, 03:32:00 pm »
Just picked picked up my MY2019 Mustang in Race Red. As the proud, first time owner of a Mustang, I want to protect the awesome paint job. I've had various quotes from detailers ranging from $3500 to $5500 for clear vinyl and ceramic coating packages. Maybe I'm getting on in years but these seem outlandish prices. Do these products even work? Did they see me coming? Should I just stick to washing, polishing and waxing it myself. Any comments or advice would be apprecatted greatly.
Thanks,
Mick.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Protecting my new Mustang
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 03:41:51 pm »
Those prices are ridiculous. Were they from the car dealers or actual detailers?

Give the guys at Waxit Car Care and Detail Central a call and ask them for recommendations of some good detailers in your area. Expect to pay around $1k for a polish and coating on new car.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 03:52:01 pm »
Give this young lady a call Raylene on 04325 22471 . She is in Brisbane and the best 👍

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 04:35:27 pm »
Below is just MHO.

I had a ceramic coating applied to my 2015 GT when i first got it. It certainly works - as in it becomes far easier to clean, doesn't require a wax, etc. Cost me about $1100 from memory.

In hindsight though, if there was a next time I would stick to ensuring the dealer DOES NOT WASH THE CAR, then take it to a reputable detailer and have them do a paint correction and a good quality wax job. No sure I would bother with the ceramic coating  again. Then I would study up a bit on how to wash a car without installing the swirls that mar most cars, and take care of it myself going forward.

Alternately get it detailed periodically (6 monthly) and do 'maintenance' washes as required.

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 04:36:56 pm »
Yes Mick they do work. After some initial scepticism and having never had paint protection before, I opted for a ceramic pro coating - others may be as good or better. After over 3 years there are no chips and the finish is fabulous. I paid around $1500, but would not use a dealer. Highly recommended.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 05:01:38 pm »
The key to keeping the paint looking good is primarily wash technique.

Google "2 bucket wash method" and get yourself a nice soft drying towel and the paint will look good for years to come. Coatings are great, and I've personally put them on about a dozen cars for friends and family over the past few years.

A big sign on the steering wheel for servicing saying "DO NOT WASH THIS CAR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!!!!!!!" will certainly help.

There are also some very good waxes and sealants that are super easy to apply and will last a good 3-9mths. The waxes you buy from Supercrap will only last 1mth.

Offline 9TAG9

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 08:07:28 pm »
Those prices are ridiculous. Were they from the car dealers or actual detailers?

Give the guys at Waxit Car Care and Detail Central a call and ask them for recommendations of some good detailers in your area. Expect to pay around $1k for a polish and coating on new car.
These were from detailers. Funnily enough, the cheapest was the dealer, but I didn't want some random messing withe paint.

Offline 9TAG9

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 08:08:18 pm »
Below is just MHO.

I had a ceramic coating applied to my 2015 GT when i first got it. It certainly works - as in it becomes far easier to clean, doesn't require a wax, etc. Cost me about $1100 from memory.

In hindsight though, if there was a next time I would stick to ensuring the dealer DOES NOT WASH THE CAR, then take it to a reputable detailer and have them do a paint correction and a good quality wax job. No sure I would bother with the ceramic coating  again. Then I would study up a bit on how to wash a car without installing the swirls that mar most cars, and take care of it myself going forward.

Alternately get it detailed periodically (6 monthly) and do 'maintenance' washes as required.
I will definately do that. Thanks.

Offline 9TAG9

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:10:06 pm »
Yes Mick they do work. After some initial scepticism and having never had paint protection before, I opted for a ceramic pro coating - others may be as good or better. After over 3 years there are no chips and the finish is fabulous. I paid around $1500, but would not use a dealer. Highly recommended.
My first mistake was getting from the dealer washed, there's a fair bit of marring, but we live and learn. Thanks.

Offline 9TAG9

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 08:14:24 pm »
Thanks mate, gives me something to think about.