Remote mirror repair

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Remote mirror repair  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Steve428

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 1970 428 CJ
Remote mirror repair
« on: April 12, 2019, 04:21:59 pm »
Hi Guys
My LH remote mirror isn’t working. I removed it and found one of the wires is broken at the knob end.  Anybody repaired these mirrors or can you purchase replacement wire cable kits? Can’t find anything except complete repo mirrors.  The mirror is off a 1970 Mach 1.
Cheers
Steve

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
Re: Remote mirror repair
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:00:02 pm »
I have never seen the wire kits available and so the only option is finding a replacement mirror to get a new wire or finding someone that can make you up a new wire. 70 remote mirrors are hard to take apart because the cables are crimped into the toggle housing and you have to open up the crimp (normally with a screwdriver) to take the wire out. You also have to take off the mirror to get the wire out, which creates further grief.

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 10:46:44 am »
Yep I`m with rocketscienctist  , never seen repair wire kits ,and have no spares  but I have had them apart at toggle ends to repair /replace wires from other mirrors , as said pry apart and squeeze back together . I`m sitting here looking at a HQ statesman remote and toggle ends are very simular in set up and wire ends the same , don`t know about length of wire though. Maybe some Aussie ford fairlanes might help
1969 GT350H

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:51:22 pm »
If its just the cable, you could find some thin strong wire - maybe something like fishing wire trace and work out a way to put small knobs on the end of them. The originals almost look like they were lead. When things get desperate get creative!
Brad

Offline Steve428

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 1970 428 CJ
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:26:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I tried a couple of different ends on the cable but not much luck. Tend to pull off so will look at fishing steel trace and work on that. Also have a mate with a GM mirror, just got to check the length of the wires but fittings look similar. Something will work. No hurry.