play in steering wheel

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: play in steering wheel  (Read 3045 times)

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Zlat
play in steering wheel
« on: March 27, 2019, 03:22:10 pm »
Hi all,

I have some play in the steering wheel, not in or out, more a left to right play. I changed the steering column bearing however still have that same play. if definitely coming from up top.

Is this normal, or should there be slight play? 

Thanks.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: play in steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 07:11:12 pm »
You need someone to move the steering wheel very slow in both directions .  With you looking under the hood at the steering box and then under the car at all the steering gear like ,pitman arm ,inner and outer tie rod ends etc etc to see where the slack is . Is it manual steering or power steering ? ,ram or box ? . The box might even need a slight adjustment .  You will find the problem yourself .

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 08:47:43 am »
Thanks Glen.

Done all of that, all the steering components are new.

when i had the steering column off and checked for play where the shaft goes through the firewall into box and no play at all so im convinced its up top. 

I did notice on the new bearing if i held the outside ring and moved the inner ring it had movement. (left to right) just for clarity when i say play, i dont mean play between the time the steering wheel moves to wheels moving, i mean lets say your holding the steering wheel at 9 o'clock and jerk it horizontally.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 08:58:14 am »
there should be absolutely zero play in the top bearing so something is not correct up there so you simply need to take it apart again and try to figure it out. it's one of those things that is hard to explain how to fix, but the center bearing collar needs to go down far enough to remove the play. the farther down it goes, the more play it removes.

you can sort of test this with the wheel off and by pushing down on the center collar with your hand then trying to move the wheel side to side or up and down etc. there may be a burr or something that is preventing the center collar from going down far enough. i think the small stiff spring then puts downward pressure on the collar to remove the play when everything is assembled.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:00:42 am by barnett468 »

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 10:28:50 am »

you can sort of test this with the wheel off and by pushing down on the center collar with your hand then trying to move the wheel side to side or up and down etc.

The wheel is off and your hand is pushing down on the collar centre, whilst your trying to move the wheel side to side or up and down? :o: :o: :o:

Where is the wheel at this time, on the passenger seat  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry it confused me just a little bit
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 10:41:23 am »
there should be absolutely zero play in the top bearing so something is not correct up there so you simply need to take it apart again and try to figure it out. it's one of those things that is hard to explain how to fix, but the center bearing collar needs to go down far enough to remove the play. the farther down it goes, the more play it removes.

you can sort of test this with the wheel off and by pushing down on the center collar with your hand then trying to move the wheel side to side or up and down etc. there may be a burr or something that is preventing the center collar from going down far enough. i think the small stiff spring then puts downward pressure on the collar to remove the play when everything is assembled.

makes perfect sense. I did re-use my old collar, unless that is damaged but its just a piece of metal so didn't think it was worth replacing. 

ill pull it apart again and have another look. now that i know there shouldn't be any play.  thank you.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 10:46:16 am »
The wheel is off and your hand is pushing down on the collar centre, whilst your trying to move the wheel side to side or up and down? :o: :o: :o:

Where is the wheel at this time, on the passenger seat  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry....I must of had too many FOSTERS LAGERS....Austrailans Favorite Brain Cell Killer!  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 10:47:33 am »

makes perfect sense. I did re-use my old collar, unless that is damaged but its just a piece of metal so didn't think it was worth replacing. 

ill pull it apart again and have another look. now that i know there shouldn't be any play.  thank you.

CORRECTION . Ummm, push down on the collar then try to move the SHAFT side to side etc.  :ouch:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 10:49:17 am »
CORRECTION . Ummm, push down on the collar then try to move the SHAFT side to side etc.  :ouch:

In other words...wiggle with your shaft instead of your steering wheel.  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 10:50:11 am »

...and I am going to ignore any further comments from you.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 10:51:09 am »

...besides, it was just a typo.   :bolt:

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 10:55:50 am »

Perhaps the shaft has been in play a little to often Baney.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 11:25:57 am »

post some photos also if you can.

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 01:16:14 pm »
post some photos also if you can.

Found this on youtube, its not mine but very similar. same sort of movement. its the actual bearing that has that play left to right. the sleeve in this video looks pretty secure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u__wFcUhVGQ

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 01:55:55 pm »
Found this on youtube, its not mine but very similar. same sort of movement. its the actual bearing that has that play left to right. the sleeve in this video looks pretty secure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u__wFcUhVGQ

That guys even wearing Aussie safety boots. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 02:58:47 pm »
Think you are missing some parts mate or have the wrong bearing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:00:21 pm by shaunp »

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 03:29:35 pm »
G'day Barnett.
 We don't drink Fosters down here as it's crap .We send it all O/S for others that may not know any better.
 PS Enjoy your knowledge
Stormin