67\'s Engine numbers?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 67\'s Engine numbers?  (Read 4993 times)

Offline Event Mustangs

• Pony
67\'s Engine numbers?
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:58:44 pm »
Ok guys, Ive seen a few bits and pieces around the forums but could someone outline the situation with Engine numbers? Ive got a 67 Hardtop enroute from the states and I know Ill need an engine number for a moving permit but the lady Ive bought it from tells me they didn't have engine numbers stamped on them.

Is this correct and if so does anyone know how to tackle this inre registering the car or getting movement permits in W.A?

Cheers guys!

Grant

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
67\'s Engine numbers?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:45:26 pm »
Grant it is true, the early cars did not have an engine number. What most people do is stamp the the VIN onto the block. Cant say what the legalilty of this is but its the safest way I feel and its what most people look for.
If your in Perth, I have stamps if you require.
cheers
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Andrew07

• Stallion
67\'s Engine numbers?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:40:22 pm »
Yep...you just get the last 4 digits of your VIN stamped on the block.  Just had that done two weeks ago on my freshly imported 65 Mustang and it went through rego without any issues.

Andrew

Offline Event Mustangs

• Pony
67\'s Engine numbers?
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 04:16:41 am »
Hey thanks alot guys, well perhaps I should just stamp the bugger and throw it toward the pits eh? Nassi, that would be great thanks very much for the offer, if you drop me a line at grantmcculloch@hotmail.com maybe we could tee that up.

One other question, if the engines were never stamped how are you to tell if the car has matching numbers? Take the owners word for it? The Stang I've bought was sold as an all original, matching numbers car... I'm not doubting the claim or anything... just curious as a newbie ;)

Thanks again!

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
67\'s Engine numbers?
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:15:01 am »
Originally posted by Grinch
Hey thanks alot guys, well perhaps I should just stamp the bugger and throw it toward the pits eh? Nassi, that would be great thanks very much for the offer, if you drop me a line at grantmcculloch@hotmail.com maybe we could tee that up.

One other question, if the engines were never stamped how are you to tell if the car has matching numbers? Take the owners word for it? The Stang I've bought was sold as an all original, matching numbers car... I'm not doubting the claim or anything... just curious as a newbie ;)

Thanks again!

Numbers matching for early cars really only refers to the codes, ie "C" code - 289 2V. Similarly with the gaerbox and diff codes.
I'll email later in day to line up a date. I'm not back in town until PM on the 25/4/08 though.
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
67\'s Engine numbers?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:41:22 am »
there are 2  types of numbers that require inspection on a mustang to claim that its matching numbers.  the first are the casting numbers for the block, heads etc.  each year has a unique part number that denotes the part's year of manufacture, etc and also depending on the part (intake, heads etc) will also correlate to the engine code (A/K/C etc as Nassi says).  Note that there is no difference between casting codes for say an A code and a C code engine.  K engines have a different casting number however.  A and C codes do have different Intake codes however- not sure about heads tho.  

secondly there's the date stamp which denotes the month/year of casting of the part.  typically the date stamp is 30-60 days BEFORE the date of assembly of the car.

so "numbers matching" on a mustang means nothing more than
(a) the casting numbers for the drivetrain are correct for the year and
(b) the date stamp is 'correct enough' in that its to the left of the assembly date of the car

so it is actually possible to make a non-matching-numbers car into a matching-numbers car by finding casting and date-code correct engine and drivetrain parts.  not an easy thing to do (has taken me years in a couple of instances) but its possible if you're a true purist.

hope this helps.
BrianE :o