73 Mach 1 running restomod

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 73 Mach 1 running restomod  (Read 7581 times)

Offline LeglessOne

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Shane
  • Car: 73 Mach 1 - 460
73 Mach 1 running restomod
« on: October 09, 2018, 06:23:11 pm »
Hi Gents,

Been lurking for a while and decided I should start this thread to list what I've done so far and ask questions about what I plan to do.

Firstly I bought the beast about 4 months ago and since then I have been fixing little thing that needed immediate attention. Like head lights that you need a torch to see if they were on, as well as the intermittent loss of headlights  :omg: on my commute to work from a hundred kays north of Wingfield where I work. I replced the light switch and wired in relays for the sealed beams - all good now reasonable quality light and no more worrying about kangaroos in the dark  :grin:.

Here is a pic of Marsha with 2 of my grand kids on holidays from Perth.

Because none of the centre gauges worked - 2 out of the 3 had melted faces - I decided to replace them with VDO units. The centre gauge which is normally the the charge indicator I change to a unit to monitor the C6's temperature ( Just need to find out where to screw thew sender unit into the tranny).

The stereo facia had also been butchered by the previous owner so I put a head unit in so I could have bluetooth music and waze navigation.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
Re: 73 Mach 1 running restomod
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:17:45 pm »
Nice work! Looks a beast :burnout:
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:52:25 pm »
From one beast to another, looks great.  Looks more stock than a resto mod in the photos. 

Is that National Motor Museum worth looking at ?

Offline LeglessOne

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:10:35 pm »
From one beast to another, looks great.  Looks more stock than a resto mod in the photos. 

Is that National Motor Museum worth looking at ?

Thanks - she's a nice daily driver :smile01:

I only picked the car up a few months ago and have been fixing stuff that I'm amazed Regency Park let through to keep her on the road. Things like an incorrect sway bar that started chewing into the front sub frame sections - tailshaft that had nearly 50% of the yoke sticking out of the transmission and a heap of other little thing that needed fixing.The distributor spat it's guts last week along with the starter motor :thud: .Now it's getting warmer it looks like I need to start looking at the cooling system to keep her on the road  :sick:.

The idea is to slowly replace stuff as money allows but with updated gear. Like coil overs upfront, four link arse end, willwood brake upgrade, electric power steering unit, complete electrics upgrade using original switches but make my own circuit breaker and relay panel to handle everything. I haven't decided what to do engine wise whether to stick with the 460and rebuild with fuel injection or slot a coyote into her.

As the title says running restomod - I want to keep driving her as much as possible while upgrading things along the way.

And yes the Birdwood Museum is worth a visit - especially if you are into bikes as well.

Offline LeglessOne

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:12:39 pm »

Offline LeglessOne

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:18:47 pm »
Can anyone tell me where I can put a temp sender on a C6 Tranny?.
Pic would be great to avoid confusion.

Cheers Shane

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 08:18:42 pm »
Looks great Shane

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 09:24:48 am »
Can anyone tell me where I can put a temp sender on a C6 Tranny?.
Pic would be great to avoid confusion.

Cheers Shane
Do you have an trans cooler? You could put a sender inline with your hoses to the cooler.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 09:27:30 am »
Thanks - she's a nice daily driver :smile01:

I only picked the car up a few months ago and have been fixing stuff that I'm amazed Regency Park let through to keep her on the road. Things like an incorrect sway bar that started chewing into the front sub frame sections - tailshaft that had nearly 50% of the yoke sticking out of the transmission and a heap of other little thing that needed fixing.The distributor spat it's guts last week along with the starter motor :thud: .Now it's getting warmer it looks like I need to start looking at the cooling system to keep her on the road  :sick:.

The idea is to slowly replace stuff as money allows but with updated gear. Like coil overs upfront, four link arse end, willwood brake upgrade, electric power steering unit, complete electrics upgrade using original switches but make my own circuit breaker and relay panel to handle everything. I haven't decided what to do engine wise whether to stick with the 460and rebuild with fuel injection or slot a coyote into her.

As the title says running restomod - I want to keep driving her as much as possible while upgrading things along the way.

And yes the Birdwood Museum is worth a visit - especially if you are into bikes as well.

Because it's your money and not mine, do a coyote!
Sounds like a good plan either way, just remember, once you start, you can't stop. Get the cooling system up to scratch and enoy it for a bit because I know what will happen..."well, while this is apart, I may as well do this, and while that's apart, I may as well......"  :grin:

Offline LeglessOne

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 09:58:43 am »
Because it's your money and not mine, do a coyote!
Sounds like a good plan either way, just remember, once you start, you can't stop. Get the cooling system up to scratch and enoy it for a bit because I know what will happen..."well, while this is apart, I may as well do this, and while that's apart, I may as well......"  :grin:

:grin:Yeah already had that going through my head.

Offline LeglessOne

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 09:59:46 am »

Offline LeglessOne

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 10:00:50 am »
Do you have an trans cooler? You could put a sender inline with your hoses to the cooler.

Yeah if I can't put it in the tranny will go down this road - Thanks

Shane