Before you consider upgrading your H4 bulbs to LED or HID read this

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Before you consider upgrading your H4 bulbs to LED or HID read this  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Edz

• Worked
    • Checkout my car builds
  • Car: 66 Convertible V8 AODE
Before you upgrade read the following articles from Daniel Stern. He's a lighting engineer and actually explains why these bulbs should not be retrofitted to a H4 headlight with great technical diagrams. I've seen a number of cars fitted with these bulbs in the old reflector and you can always pick them by the glare thrown out in every direction.

Daniel Stern Lighting https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

Thinking of converting your halogen headlamps to HID or LED?
So you've read about HID headlamps and have it in mind to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found a couple of outfits offering to sell you a "conversion" that will fit any car with a given type of halogen bulb, for between $150 and $600. STOP, put away that credit card. Trying to "convert" halogen headlamps to HID is an unsafe thing to do. There are NO legitimate or safe HID bulb retrofits for halogen headlamps. Here's why.

The blue bulb controversy: They look cool but are they useful? You might want to read this before you buy some.

Myths debunked: Here's an article on PIAA SuperWhite, Raybrig HyperWhite and Fet-Catz HyperBulb bulbs.

Bulb Descriptions and Ratings: Here is a listing of all known fog, head and driving bulb types, with specs and ratings.

HID lamps: Are HID ("Xenon") lamps better, and why "upgrading" to them may not be the best idea.

I also found this great article on Laser Headlights – BMW and Audi have these in some of their cars.

https://www.osram.com/am/specials/trends-in-automotive-lighting/laser-light-new-headlight-technology/index.jsp

'As a result of this laser technology, the full beam of these vehicles have a range of up to 600 meters - double the distance of the current standard LED headlights. The BMW i8 and the Audi R8 LMX were launched almost at the same time as the first series production vehicles with laser headlights.'

Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"

Offline POPS 67

• Worked
QUE?
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
Re: Before you consider upgrading your H4 bulbs to LED or HID read this
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 08:33:37 pm »
Sorry but the first of the articles I opened contained a lot of homespun BS and some plain incorrect statements (e.g. brightness is subjective, it's like loudness...)  If the rest of the content is like that I wouldn't bother reading it.

Also can you please point me to to part where he specifically says LED bulbs are a bad idea?
Cheers,
Brian

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
The only problem i have with the HID  driving lights on my Fortuner is that when i dip them im driving like Stevie wonder for 1/2 a second, because they are soooooooo bright. :grin:
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|