new inspection laws

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: new inspection laws  (Read 4927 times)

Offline doubledeal bill

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
new inspection laws
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:51:26 am »
 Here we go again.. Just had a call from a mate with Ford Cobra (I.C.V) and it appears that people with cars ,bikes ect that passed the certification for nsw rego by certified engineers PRE 2011 will have to reapply for rego and undergo engineers cetrification again. anyone out there has any info?  i have also been told that they may be going to stop people importing special builds of cars, ie Mustang Shelby,Saleen,Roush ect  and models of high performance Porsche ect ,unless the manufacturers sells these on their show room floors, in my case i did not want the new aussie mustang that is missing all the good stuff and got hold of a 2011 rhd conversion that has it all. Are any of these facts near the mark,or just the xmas cheer talking?happy new year folks!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: new inspection laws
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:11 am »
I heard it only applies if the car becomes unregistered or you sell it.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:53:56 am »
As Shaun stated, it only applies if your modified vehicle becomes unregistered for longer than the 3 month grace period. It also applies to those who are intending on applying for the CVS or Modified  Classic registration scheme that require VSCCS compliance. However, if you sell the vehicle, and it is still registered on full NSW rego, re-certification is not required.

In short, anyone who is attempting to ESTABLISH any  type of registration for a modified vehicle (which also includes right hand drive converted vehicles) are now required to have their vehicle re-certified under the current VSCCS certification scheme

This applies in NSW

Al
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:58:08 am by big al »

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 08:04:01 am »
Also, NO ICV's or individually constructed vehicles are not being accepted for NEW registrations at this present time regardless of being enginereed or not.

However, those that are currently registered are ok to renew their registration.

Again, this only applies to those vehicles wishing to establish a NEW registration, or newly completed vehicles. Most common ICV 's are AC Cobra replicas

Al

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 08:53:13 am »
Also, NO ICV's or individually constructed vehicles are not being accepted for NEW registrations at this present time regardless of being enginereed or not.

Wow, is that causing big drama's for builders out there?

Imagine having gone through all the old process, and now that you've finished building it you can't register  :omg:

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:54:32 am »
Like anything these days, rules and regulations can change at the drop of a hat. It's up to the owner/builder to constantly keep up to date, and on top of these changes. Many engage in regular contact with their certifier to give them the updates, and the vehicle should be regularly checked by the certifier to make sure that it meets the rules and regulations as the build progresses.

I think that if your vehicle is legal, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

However, it is unfortunate for those who are half way though a build and the NSW RMS decide to cease any future approval of ICV's with no prior warning given. I have a mate who has just invested a substantial amount of coin in introducing a new type of ICV into the market. It's a major investment in tooling etc. and they are unable to get approval. He's not happy, and I don't blame him for being upset with the NSW RMS.

Hopefully they can get through it.

With the other modded cars out there, there was prior warning that the ECV's as they were previously known, did have a life span on them, and that unregistered vehicles will require re-certification to bring them up to date, and n line with the new regulations.

Let's face it, there are many cars that have been previously modified and registered under the old ECS scheme, and have since been re-modified, or further/majorly  enhanced/changed, which would now render their previous engineers report defunct/irrelevant.

It's just a matter of getting all the heavily/modified cars safety levels up to date, and in line with today's standards.

Remember guys, Safety is paramount here!

Al

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:07:34 am »
It's all the ICV guys I was thinking of.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 10:19:20 am »
It's all the ICV guys I was thinking of.

Dwyane, they all come under a similar type of category. "Modified Cars". The problem is with ICV's is that there has never really been any sort of Factory built safety certification/standards and exhaustive testing process as a completed unit like the factories perform, that the relevant bodies can base their authority on. Our classic cars have at the very least been certified/tested in their original composition that they can base certain findings on.

I feel for them too. many have large amounts of money invested in their projects, and can't do anything about it.

However, from what I am led to believe, there is a person that is attempting to raise enough capital to mount a legal challenge. It will be interesting to see how they go. But I imagine it is going to be a long and hard battle.

Al

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 10:42:06 am »
What about Hot rods, or do they still come under the Australian street rod association rules ? you could argue that most rods are now  ICV cause they are not built from A model -32 Model Ford etc anymore but a composite body.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:56 am »
What about Hot rods, or do they still come under the Australian street rod association rules ? you could argue that most rods are now  ICV cause they are not built from A model -32 Model Ford etc anymore but a composite body.

Hot Rods are a whole different kettle of fish

If they are seeking full registration, then more rules again.

But not sure about them falling under ICV.

They would more likely fall under Street Rod Rego as it would be easier to register in that category. (I think)

Al

Offline doubledeal bill

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 12:56:33 pm »
 hi thanks that cleared some of it up  nsw and the politicians are arseholes and i do not want to run the poor old arsehole down but it just keeps going on and on, shitty stupid miss informed rules, one after the other . RTA  RTMS   anti everything, might just sell and get that Prius that those pricks just wants us to drive! cheers

Offline doubledeal bill

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 04:55:35 pm »
 4 years ago i got a corvette  it was changed 2 rhd in qld. the owner spent thousands re engineering it 4 nsw registration i still have the paper work and believe me EVERY part, nut of bolt has to be identified and certified every part ie steer rack from 97 Pontiac ,26 pages of utter crap.. i assisted a mate trying to get an  ICV  cobra passed  all his beautiful chrome work had to be sprayed matt black and a dozen other stupid infractions (minor) changed.if that was not enough it had to pass pollution at blacktown nsw and  firs failed the minute we drove into the room towards the dyno, setting roof alarms off,  changed back to standard heads tried every thing, water injection, engine management set ups ect and were told the only motor that may pass was the new 5lt  ford Canadian engine and the helpful tester said even that was not  guaranteed , he pointed to a new ve holden in the lot and said " give that 6 months and it will fail".  the cobra tested  on the dyno, only failed on one stop sign ,when he got on it a bit hard. the exhaust gasses are piped to a massive computer and gasses are" weighed"  u do not stand a chance. most engineers in nsw have now lost certification , told they were not qualified as just being an engineer was now not good enough nsw rta or rtms have made sure nothing except standard vehicles will pass!     note  if  passed in another state unless they have NSW CERTIFICATION IT WILL HAVE TO REINSPECTED cheers 

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 06:25:40 pm »
I had my 88 Corvette engineered in Melbourne last January and it only had to pass the relevant ADRs for that year.
The engineer said it was the best C4 he had inspected as far as originality was concerned, and all I had to do was replace the red rear indicators with amber ones.

Offline ants

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 09:35:42 pm »
For those interested...new rule has been removed pending consultation.

https://s19.postimg.org/tx73unh8z/Screenshot_20180119-204945.png

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 10:06:27 am »
For those interested...new rule has been removed pending consultation.

https://s19.postimg.org/tx73unh8z/Screenshot_20180119-204945.png

Typical inconsistent RMS
The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
I feel for those who have gone out and started the new process because of the previous ruling and had to pay for the new process of approval because their old report was not being accepted
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:13:20 am by big al »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 06:29:17 pm »

s