New wheels have upset handling

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New wheels have upset handling  (Read 5670 times)

Offline gtv6capri

• Pony
  • I'm new here
New wheels have upset handling
« on: December 27, 2017, 07:41:58 pm »
I had a set of TSW Bathurst wheels fitted.  They are the same size wheels but the offset means they now sit at the lip of the wheel arches.  Look fantastic.  But.  The handling has been transformed -for the worse.  The car "Tram Tracks" and feels half the weight at the steerig wheel.  You now have to monitor the direction and actively correct it.  I rang the dealer who put me on to the people who fitted them (Competition Tyres Murrumbeena).  They say "well you didn't lower the car" claiming that the due to the change in offset, the car needs to be lowered to bring back the factory geometry.  Apparantly everyone who fits these wheels always gets the lowered Roush springs installed.

I dont want a lowered car, and it sounds like baloney to me.  Anyone else had this problem and if so how did you overcome it?  Im thinking of going down to Pedders Dandenong the guy there has been doing suspensions since the 60's, to see if they can work out a new set of alignment specs.  Curious to hear anyone elses experience with the front end     

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: New wheels have upset handling
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 07:58:22 pm »
Go and talk with a tyre store.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 08:24:41 pm »
What car/ mustang are we talking about here S550 ? .if so need you fit wider rims or tyres on the front ? . Make sure the front tyre pressures are around 38 psi . Are the tyres directional ? Make sure they are the right way around . Lowering the car won't help ,that's a load of bull ,it's tracking because of the tyres ,not the height of the original specks on the car .
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 08:29:25 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:42:30 pm »
Sounds like the wheel offset is wrong.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:00:23 pm »
Yep, we'll need to know what car it is that you have?

Offline gtv6capri

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:26 pm »
My car is a 2017 FM 5 litre Automatic, tyres are stock Continentals.  Rotation directions are correct.  The dealer sells these as an aftermarket option, they seemed to have a lot of cars fitted with them so I assume the sizing is as per factory original, just the offset pushed outwards. 

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 10:36:45 pm »
Plenty and I mean plenty of people have fitted different rims and plenty have fitted 25mm wheel spaces to the front and had no problems . Get onto the S550 Facebook  site and ask the question . Queensland S550 Ford Mustang owners is a good start
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:39:29 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 06:44:03 am »
Don't get caught with spacers !!!!!
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 06:54:28 am »
Don't get caught with spacers !!!!!

Yep, kiss your insurance goodbye. You can be sure the insurer will try to link the accident in some way to the illegal spacers to get out of paying a claim.

Offline Sean piquet

• Stallion
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 09:58:15 am »
My car is a 2017 FM 5 litre Automatic, tyres are stock Continentals.  Rotation directions are correct.  The dealer sells these as an aftermarket option, they seemed to have a lot of cars fitted with them so I assume the sizing is as per factory original, just the offset pushed outwards.

Significant change in front wheel offset affects handling.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/712036/helping-your-customer-understand-why-wheel-offset-matters

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 11:15:13 pm »
Did you fix the problem ? . I have fitted 19x9.5 front and 19x10.5  and 285 tyres on rear and has good outside dish compared to original and drives just the same as with the stock wheels .

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 07:44:01 am »
The car "Tram Tracks"

I think you mean bump steer? There are kits available to correct that.

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Bump-Steer-Correction

They say "well you didn't lower the car" claiming that the due to the change in offset, the car needs to be lowered to bring back the factory geometry.  Apparantly everyone who fits these wheels always gets the lowered Roush springs installed.

it sounds like baloney to me.

Yes it's bologna and lowering could even change it for the worse depending on the geometry of the car.

"Customers complain of rough ride, wandering steering, arm pump and worn out front ends. A lot of people bring their cars to us hoping that our suspension kits will fix their issues not knowing that it isn’t the suspension’s fault. But, sadly the answer is no, our kits won’t fix their geometry problems. The suspension will work better and feel smoother but the underlying issue is still there and will continue to create problems.[/b]"

Sounds like the change in offset has changed your scrub radius.

http://utvunderground.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-affects-of-wheel-offset-and-suspension-performance.18329/

s

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 09:17:32 pm »
Since  my last reply I have now lowered  it 30mm all round after fitting the 19x9.5 front and 19x10.5 rear and even tho it does ride a bit harsh it handles great and is better to drive . King springs low springs were fitted .