65 coupe steering and suspension questions

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 65 coupe steering and suspension questions  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Sbrooks

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
65 coupe steering and suspension questions
« on: December 21, 2017, 07:50:55 pm »
Hello Everyone

I am hoping someone could help me with the selection of my steering and front suspension setup

Fist a little back ground, 3 years ago I purchased a 1965 mustang coupe for about the cost of importing one.
It had issues and had a right hand drive conversion ¾ completed.
I have replaced the two doors two rear quarters and two front guards and in the process of finishing the RHD conversion, I had an engineer look at it and he is happy for me to proceed but I need a new steering box

1st question does anyone have any experience with RRS, retro rack or total control product rack and pinion systems?
As I need to replace the steering box I was going to put a rack and pinion in and I was hoping for peoples input and experience.

2nd is to do with the front suspension the two options I was look into was upgrading to coil over system from total control products or just replacing all the current parts(upper and lower control arms etc) and adding scott drake progressive rate springs?

The car will be a cruiser not a track car but I would like good handling.

I am not worried about spending money on upgrades but don’t want to waste money on unnecessary or over the top upgrades

Thank you all for taking the time to help

Shaune

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: 65 coupe steering and suspension questions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 08:08:02 pm »
Where are you based?

I've read that using the steering boxes up to XF falcon with a modified drag link allows you to retain stock suspension etc.   John Greene is a (retired?) qld engineer with the required templates, but ShaunP can confirm.

Offline Sbrooks

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:18:09 pm »
I am in NSW

the steering box (not sure what car its from but the drag link was modified) I have has a lot of play and the engineer was not happy with it.

I do like the idea of having rack and pinion and I need to get the engineer to sign it off no mater what happens 

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 08:25:19 pm »
Mate you can get fantastic handling with a stock style setup.

I have the Open Tracker blue printed upper arms and bearing lower arms, plus adjustable strud rods and roller spring perches. It handles very well. I have done some motorkhana stuff with it and it was fine.
Also, forget the scott drake springs. Get the king springs KFFL-59, they are progressive, cheap and made in aus.
And for shocks the best you can get is the bilstein setup. It is great.

I have a unisteer rack as I'm LHD, however, I have done a fair bit of research and the TCP racks are the best out there(cost is why I went with unisteer). Lots of horror stories on the net with the RRS gear.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:27:07 pm by Husky65 »

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:41:09 pm »
Can you narrow down where the play is?

Might be as simple as new tie rod ends or another donor box from same model.

Offline HAMBURGLAR

• Worked
  • I NEED MORE MONEY
  • Name: mark
  • Car: 66 A code fastback 6R09A
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:38:07 pm »
Hi Shaune , I installed the TCP manual rack in my 66 because I don't like all the hoses and pump. If you don't like heavy steering go power rack or put electric steering in as I am in the process of doing. It is an EPAS system for early mustangs and hides up under the dash.  Lots of dollars but worth it to me.
66 A code fastback 289w , t5 , 3.8truetrak.
56 F100 Deluxe custom cab. Major frame off resto. 347w , AOD , Custom 9inch , 3.7 powertrax , IFS , Parallel 4 link rear. Airbags , Low enough to kill ants. Still in progress.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »
A new RHD unisteer power rack has just popped up on gumtree for $900 if you're still looking.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/theodore/other-parts-accessories/65-66-mustang-power-rack-pinion-assy-brand-new/1169835113

Offline Sbrooks

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 08:35:36 pm »
Thanks for the heads up I will have a look