Stalled then refused to start in yesterdays heat

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Stalled then refused to start in yesterdays heat  (Read 3921 times)

Offline gtv6capri

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Stalled then refused to start in yesterdays heat
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:44:19 am »
Picked up the car from its 3000k initial service, and it stalled at the lights after 40 minutes of driving (32 degrees outside air con fully on).  Did a lock unlock open door reset and car went again, but stalled a short time later.  Sync3 went a bit haywire and the Tyre pressure detector malfunction message came up.  Check and adjusted tyre pressure, did several lock unlock refresh but car would not start, just a slight engage of the starter motor.

RACV came out after 90 minutes..... and damn thing fired straight away - charge rate 14.15 volts.  But Sync3 was still upsetting the phone and no radio.  After a cool down at home everything was back to normal.  Anyone else had trouble in the heat?  Or has the dealer knocked a wire loose when doing the service?

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
Re: Stalled then refused to start in yesterdays heat
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:59:28 am »
Sync3 went a bit haywire and the Tyre pressure detector malfunction message came up.  Check and adjusted tyre pressure, did several lock unlock refresh but car would not start, just a slight engage of the starter motor

Reading this reminded me of a doco I watched recently on the last space shuttle crash where an early indicator of trouble was a tyre pressure monitor on the blink.

Just glad yours ended better than theirs!

Weird though. I would be hightailing it back to the dealer......

Offline gtv6capri

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:49:21 am »
Well the day started fine, no issues, car started and Sync3 all good, I reset the Tyre pressure monitor.  Until I drove 40 minutes away in 32 degree outside temp with AC on, then thud and stalled again.  Key open close reset and off we went for about 200 metres, then thud and stalled.  Pushing the starter button only seems to just engage the starter motor but wont turn the engine.  So RACV called and got it towed to the dealer.  Now awaiting the diagnosis. 

It seems the extra heat in the engine bay is causing something to cut out.  My tip is the Battery.  Once I pop the bonnet and wait for 30 minutes it starts like normal.  Car is only 3 weeks old but I dont know if they are shipped with a battery or they are fitted here.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:34 am »
I doubt if it's the battery .  Heat related sure but what  :shrug:  let the dealer sort it out   :thumb: . No problems with mine except my mustang light on the  passenger mirror looks more like a pig than a horse .  Good luck and I'm sure you will be driving around enjoying your new mustang soon .

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:48:19 am »
Yep, dealer needs to fix ASAP.

Not good enough for a new car to be constantly breaking down.

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 12:39:32 pm »
I doubt if it's the battery .  Heat related sure but what  :shrug:  let the dealer sort it out   :thumb: . No problems with mine except my mustang light on the  passenger mirror looks more like a pig than a horse .  Good luck and I'm sure you will be driving around enjoying your new mustang soon .

I wouldnt discount the battery.
My new Hilux Fortuner wouldnt lockup the convertor in 6th on the highway.
Took it in for its 1k check and there was a bulletin to check that the negative battery terminal is tight enough.
It wasnt and once they tightened it the problem was soilved.
Might ask for the Pre delivery fee to be refunded  :lmao:
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline JasonK

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 08:15:49 am »
except my mustang light on the  passenger mirror looks more like a pig than a horse .

I had this problem, phone call to the dealer. guy came around to pick up my car, took it back to the dealer, light fixed (under warranty) so that is looks like a pony again, car delivered back to me about 4 hours later.

Offline gtv6capri

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:15:37 pm »
Day 3 still no car, but they did get it to replicate the fault.  It stalled on them and there was an error coming from the Powertrain Control Module.  Ford say they have never seen the problem before (!)  They have given me a hire car and told me it should be back this week.  I did not realize how much I love that car, I cannot wait to get it back

Offline gtv6capri

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 11:38:41 am »
OK update just now from Ford.  The cars main ECU is held down by torx scrwes.  At the point nearest the harness connector, the hole mounting had been drilled offest, this caused the connection to not seat squarely, and when the car got hot it expanded breaking the circuit.  So new parts ordered and will be fitted up ASAP looking to be back on the  road by Friday.  I have requested that the issue be logged with Ford in case there is a batch of computers with offset bracket holes

Offline JasonK

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 01:27:20 pm »
looking to be back on the  road by Friday.

Good news. But I reckon it will feel like a VERY long three days.......