yellow 66

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: yellow 66  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
yellow 66
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:19:33 pm »
Purchased it from Alabama in 18Oct07.  Had it transported to L.A. shortly after, where it sat for a month, waiting to be shipped with numerous parts i purchased for another car.  Arrived in Newcastle early Jan where it waited till 07Feb08 when i could pick it up.  Finally got it registered on 07Mar08

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
yellow 66
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:02:44 pm »
Thats very nice. :(
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 68cobrajet

• Pony
yellow 66
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:24:41 pm »
Hesus FN Christ! Geez I love the early fastbacks!
That is a very nice car!
Can't wait to see it in the fleshish!
Resale Red too!
1967     GT   Fastback  S code
1968.5  GT     Fastback  R code

Offline fatso1

• Worked
yellow 66
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:29:15 pm »
Red Hot Ride Bud!

Offline 68cobrajet

• Pony
yellow 66
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:26:42 pm »
By the way. what did you have to modify to get it registered?;w
1967     GT   Fastback  S code
1968.5  GT     Fastback  R code

Offline victorypark

• Worked
yellow 66
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:52:37 am »
Originally posted by Yellow66
Purchased it from Alabama in 18Oct07.  Had it transported to L.A. shortly after, where it sat for a month, waiting to be shipped with numerous parts i purchased for another car.  Arrived in Newcastle early Jan where it waited till 07Feb08 when i could pick it up.  Finally got it registered on 07Mar08

Were u actually over in Alabama or was the car sourced for you??  Great ride by the way, very schmick! :(

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
yellow 66
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 07:40:40 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Surprisingly i didn't have to do much for NSW rego.  I had to fix the headlights & front / rear indicators as expected.  Also had to get an engineers report for the brakes and seatbelts (some fool mounted the seatbelt to the floor and failed to use existing mount near the door).  Only other problem was a few little rust issues in the rear inner wheel arches - had 2 new arches put in and welded up hole in floor where seatbelt was mounted so not much drama at all thankfully.

With regards to purchasing, no i wasn't in Alabama and no the car was not sourced.  Ended up taking a bit of a risk and thankfully the car was in real good condition.  Found it on the net at www.billsclassiccars.com  Unfortunately i could not get the car inspected as the owner is a businessman working extremely long hours and selling mustangs on the side.  This was a bit of an issue with, however the website showed about 40 photos which was good.  I then got onto the Mustang Club of Alabama and asked locals their opinions on the guy / cars he sells.  Apparently he has been doing this side business for over 15 years and only sells the rarer types of cars (my GT fastback was the cheapest on the block - he sells a lot of Eleanor's and rarer big block cars).  A couple of people replied saying he only sold quality vehicles and that he was pretty honest.  My biggest worry was buying it and not having it be a genuine GT - he did claim it was and said it came with the buck tag.  I knew it was a risk but i went ahead with it, convincing myself that if it wasn't a genuine GT, it was still only costing me what an 'A' code would here in Aust.  I think i got a very good deal as it is a genuine GT and in great condition.  The bloke who did the rego slip couldn't believe how lucky i was to have such a good car, without having had it inspected.  Don't think i will do it again as i think i have used up my good luck!!!!

Offline Brent

• Worked
yellow 66
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:38:48 pm »
Rarity does have its comforts. I think you have done enough back ground to be sure  & as you suggested you had some slack up your sleeve. My 429 Grande  as far as I know is the only one in Aus. , it may not be as pretty as a 66etc but it sure as hell is a ground pounder. Congratulations on a rare car.:(
429,C6,MSD, Pertronix coil, Flowmaster, 59K, Griffin radiator, thermo fan, oil coolers. Twice USA magazine featured.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
yellow 66
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:56:48 pm »
They're all great, knockout ride, hope to see it at the next nationals in Ballarat!

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline steveo

• Pony
yellow 66
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 11:24:28 am »
Originally posted by Yellow66

Yellow66, how come it sat at Newcastle all that time before you finally took delivery.
Steveo.

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
yellow 66
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 10:23:22 am »
Steveo

I imported a heap of parts (a couple of sets of wheels, interior trim, a couple of a/c units etc) which did not arrive with in the same container as the car.  I'm from Canberra and did not want to make two trips to Newcastle so i waited till everything arrived and did one trip - and what a trip.  I hired a car trailer and went up in my XG ute.  The mustang was stacked with parts and put on the trailer and the ute was stacked quite high with parts as well.  Couldn't believe how many parts i actually had and was lucky to get them all on.  Having said that, i was quite impatient waiting because when you know the car has arrived, all you want to do is go and get it.

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
yellow 66
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 10:25:43 am »
Bee

Would love to attend nationals and get a good look at your finished project as well.

Cheers