CHANGE OIL SOON WARNING LIGHT 2016 MUSTANG

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: CHANGE OIL SOON WARNING LIGHT 2016 MUSTANG  (Read 8168 times)

Offline POPS 67

• Worked
CHANGE OIL SOON WARNING LIGHT 2016 MUSTANG
« on: August 28, 2017, 02:01:36 pm »
The "change oil soon" warning light has popped up on the instrument panel on my 2016 Mustang. The car has done 5500 km's and I don't flog it. The cars "first" check/service was done as required. I checked the dipstick and it reads full, the oil colour is reasonably clean. I know the engine has a oil monitor to advise on when to change it but surely you'd get more than 4500 km's in 4 and a bit months? :thud: 
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: CHANGE OIL SOON WARNING LIGHT 2016 MUSTANG
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:40:41 pm »
1st how long ago was the service done ? How many Klm has it done . I think I read  in the manual you can reset it yourself anyway .

Offline POPS 67

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 03:30:10 pm »
The oil was changed at the first "free" service inspection in late April, ie. 4 months ago and in that time the cars done about 4500km's. As I said I don't flog it, in fact the opposite is the case. Yes you can reset it, there is a video on you tube but I was just wondering why would the message come up after a short time and when the oil looks very clean??

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:06:47 pm »
Because your dealer did not reset it .  It's on a timer as well as mileage ,so because it hadn't  been on the time the dealer just did not worry . They are set from the build date so can go on earlier than purchase date .

Offline POPS 67

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 04:13:47 pm »
Thanks for that, I'll reset it.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 07:39:06 pm »
Similar thing happened to me so I just reset it although I had to find out how at the time

Offline peter1950

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 10:15:12 am »
I just had a similar issue but a bit different.
I had my car serviced at the normal interval but at the 11 month and with 10k on the clock in April 17. Since April, I have done another 7k in in 6 months.
When I alerted the service dealer, he indicated that it means that the oil additives have about 10% left and when the "change oil" comes on it is time to change the oil.
Like others I questioned the time and Ks travelled and he advised this could because of the type of driving eg in traffic, stop start, using the performance mode, track work etc or simply they forgot to reset it.
I explained to him that being retired, I avoid peak hour traffic, don't use performance mode or go to the track and tended to think his last suggestion may be more relevant. However, it may still come back to the way I drive in that if the "change oil" sign comes up around the 20k mark it could well indicate my driving style rather than the time factor.
Interestingly, the service dealer indicated that the Ford Escape has the same system and they had similar enquiries (but not on the Mustang, I was apparently, the first) and requested feedback on how I go with waiting until the "change oil" light came on.
I will inform him and the forum in due course.

Offline David C

• Stallion
  • Just do it!
  • Name: David
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:58:42 pm »
1st how long ago was the service done ? How many Klm has it done . I think I read  in the manual you can reset it yourself anyway .

How do you reset it?
'17 GT (Magnetic)
'72 Mach1 (Red)

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 06:37:29 pm »
It will be a time/km set thing for sure.
There is no vehicle that has the ability to sample its own oil and work out viscosity levels, do particle counts and assess the ability of the oil to have its service intervals extended or reduced.
I work for a large global earthmoving manufacturer and we have to rely on an oil analysis laboratory staffed by technicians with millions of dollars worth of sampling equipment- maybe they should get some of these oil lights fitted to their machines?!?!?  :burnout: :burnout:

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500

Offline David C

• Stallion
  • Just do it!
  • Name: David
'17 GT (Magnetic)
'72 Mach1 (Red)

Offline mwizz