Audio upgrade 65

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Audio upgrade 65  (Read 13302 times)

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
Audio upgrade 65
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:34:24 am »
Interested in opinions/experience with Audio upgrades

Custom Auto Sound or Retro Sound seem to be the two with reasonable original appearance. I want original look with improved performance and options.

Thanks Mark
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Audio upgrade 65
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 12:32:52 pm »
I looked at and listened to both of those options and wasn't happy with the sound quality of either. In my view quality audio gear does not come out of the US.

Instead I just left the old AM radio in place and put a good Alpine unit in the glovebox that does everything - AM/FM, CD, MP3, USB, Bluetooth including streaming music from my phone. I have a remote with a sensor extension cable that has one end pretty much invisible under the dash and the other attached to the inside of the glovebox door. Works very well. 

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:58:00 pm »
Something like this will do the job:

http://www.outofsightaudio.com/

Offline MStang67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:22:13 pm »
I have fitted a Retrosound ( usb, aux, bluetooth) in my 67 and quite impressed with the sound quality - I guess it depends on the speakers more than the unit itself.

However I barely llisten to it as when driving I prefer to listen to my V8 pumping!

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 03:30:19 pm »
I looked at and listened to both of those options and wasn't happy with the sound quality of either. In my view quality audio gear does not come out of the US.

Instead I just left the old AM radio in place and put a good Alpine unit in the glovebox that does everything

Alpine also has factories in Brazil, Hungary, Mexico, China, and Thailand, so I guess that makes theirs better.  :thumb:

Only an audio aficionado with a trained ear could possibly tell the difference between a high quality US made or US designed unit and one from any other country in the world. The "Mustang" replacement stereos are not intended to be high quality which is why they aren't, they are designed to provide a little better sound than a factory unit and do it in stereo.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:18:01 pm by barnett468 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 03:35:26 pm »
Something like this will do the job:

http://www.outofsightaudio.com/

The sound quality won't be that good because there is no sound processing. Plus it's overpriced for what it is.

If you want good sound quality, you need either a modern headunit(which can be hidden like Geoff mentioned above), or you need a reciever(either bluetooth and/or auxillery) and an equalizer. You then need these connected to an amp to drive the speakers. It is hard to get a good sound out of the early mustangs due to the speaker positions. I personally think if you want good lows you need a subwoofer, no getting around it.
But like I said, depends on what you want.

My system is the stock headunit(for looks only), then:
-JL audio MBT-RX bluetooth reciever. Sits under the dash, it's tiny. http://intl.jlaudio.com/mbt-rx-marine-audio-bluetooth-receiver-91126 This feeds to ->

-Clarion equaliser - this is tiny, and does all sound processing. Easily fits in the glovebox, althought mine is under the ac vent, as I used it all the time.http://www.clarion.com/au/en/products-personal/past-products/audio/EQS746/index.html
This then feeds to a 4 channel amplifer, which power 2 6.5 kicker 3 ways in the front, and 2 6x9 hertz in the rear.

Even with this, the sound just wasn't good enough. I then added a fusion powered subwoofer in the boot, and voila, filled all the gaps. It sounds awesome, and makes driving it so much more enjoyable. I drive my car often though, so if this was just a weekend car you might not need it all.

Sorry to rant, just giving you an example.

To nut it down, if you want good sound, you need either a modern headunit, or a reciever and an equalizer.(both of which can be hidden out of sight) If you are happy with subpar sound for an extraordinary price then go the Custom Autosound/Retrosound.
With either option, to actually get good sound you need an amplifier and good speakers.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 04:19:28 pm »
Interested in opinions/experience with Audio upgrades

Custom Auto Sound or Retro Sound seem to be the two with reasonable original appearance. I want original look with improved performance and options.

Thanks Mark

If you like it moderately loud, you will get better sound with a good amp instead of just a receiver alone. Depending on the radio you get, an equalizer will help you fine tune the sound to your tastes.

Speakers selection and placement is also important, unfortunately, speakers sound and work best when they are in a cabinet, however, it's obviously not practical to build cabinets in your doors etc.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:21:48 pm by barnett468 »

Offline craig.miller

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 04:57:57 pm »
I have the following in my Mustang and whilst not stock, it looks and sounds awesome:

Quarter trim with 6.5 inch speaker and 1 inch tweeter cutouts
Rockford Fosgate 6.5 inch components
Rockford Fosgate 6x9's
Roxkford Fosgate 5 channel amp
Kicker 10 inch sub
Sub controller in console
Jvc headunit

Sounds awesome although overkill as it will be turned off alot.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 05:13:30 pm »
Haha

With current condition being an original radio that currently only picks up one AM channel clearly I wasn't looking for surround sound. Although I appreciate the enthusiasm of those with elaborate systems its just not what I need.

I also prefer to listen to the engine, but saying that would like some improved options in the current set up.

Cheers

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 05:23:24 pm »
You're best and cheapest option then will be to get a modern headunit and put it in the glovebox if you want it hidden. At least later if you like you can upgrade speakers etc using the same headunit.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 07:46:34 pm »
Haha

With current condition being an original radio that currently only picks up one AM channel clearly I wasn't looking for surround sound. Although I appreciate the enthusiasm of those with elaborate systems its just not what I need.

I also prefer to listen to the engine, but saying that would like some improved options in the current set up.

Cheers
Mate, sounds like a cheap repro unit is all you need. It may not deliver massive thumping sound but with a decent set of 'efficient' speakers, it'll be miles ahead the original radio. I'm running a CAS USA-66 with Pioneer 6" door speakers in the parcel shelf & CAS 4"x10" dual voice coil dash speaker. Everything went in without cutting any metal. I connected a Bluetooth kit to allow me to stream from my iPhone. Surprisingly good sound.....for what it is! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate decent audio gear more than most. Always a hobby of mine & even studied audio at school. Every car I've owned before this one got the full treatment, amps, subs, high end speakers, etc. I guess I'm not in my 20's any more  :grin:.

Evan.

Custom Autosound USA-66 by Evan, on Flickr

Offline Reklaw

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 07:59:58 pm »
There's lots of personal preferences on a subject like this. I too wanted to have something a little better than the original AM radio and single speaker, plus the ability to plug a stick in with my fave music.
Ended up buying a Custom Sound USA-630 from Sydney Mustangs. For speakers I went for 6.5" Kevlar speakers on the parcel shelf, no cutting required, and 4" Kevlars up front, all from Jaycar. May not be as good as Rockford Fosgate stuff but, as the saying goes, it's "fit for purpose".

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 08:11:37 pm »
Mate, sounds like a cheap repro unit is all you need. It may not deliver massive thumping sound but with a decent set of 'efficient' speakers, it'll be miles ahead the original radio. I'm running a CAS USA-66 with Pioneer 6" door speakers in the parcel shelf & CAS 4"x10" dual voice coil dash speaker. Everything went in without cutting any metal. I connected a Bluetooth kit to allow me to stream from my iPhone. Surprisingly good sound.....for what it is! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate decent audio gear more than most. Always a hobby of mine & even studied audio at school. Every car I've owned before this one got the full treatment, amps, subs, high end speakers, etc. I guess I'm not in my 20's any more  :grin:.

That photo looks spot on."classic" exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not a huge music fan but like to listen to sports, races and a little music. Car is a convertible so package tray speakers wont be an option But good quality dash and kick panel speakers are a definite option.

Thanks again for the advice.

Evan.

Custom Autosound USA-66 by Evan, on Flickr

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 08:43:36 pm »
Evan
Rergarding the CAS USA-66

Is that unit available in Australia? Where?

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 10:13:38 pm »
Evan

Couldn't tell you, I ordered mine from the US many years ago. I think this model has been superseded now. It lacked alot of modern features compared to today's stuff (Bluetooth, USB, etc). If you want to buy locally, try Eastcoast, Mustangs of Melbourne, Mustang World or Custom Mustangs.

Evan.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 03:07:33 am »
Evan

We were a dealer for custom auto sound years ago and I know the owner and have been to their shop many times. The USA 1 with cassette has been discontinued, not sure abut the USA 66. Some of their models have an analog tuner which I wouldn't buy it. Those have a rubber band connecting the tuner knob to the tuner needle just like a stock radio.  No matter which brand you get, I would get a digital one.

Custom Auto Sounds newest model is a 740. The retail price is $349.00 usd and I could get one for a bit less and ship it to you if you wanted it or any of their other ones they make if you can't find them reasonably priced in oz. Also, the more you buy, the cheaper they will be in case you know any one else that wants one of theirs.

Shipping for 1 up to possibly 4 radios might be $60.00 total ($15.00) each but I can only put a $400.00 value on for insurance against loss etc, but I think it would go straight to your door. Shipping for one only might be $35.00 up to $50.00 depending on whether it will fit in the small box etc. If I have an orig 4v carb and you buy it, both the carb and at least one radio will fit in the same box which would be 12" x 12" x 12".

If you want, let me know what you can get them for in oz and include shipping to your door and I will see if I can save you much over their price which I'm guessing I can even with the shipping cost.

Here's their slide bar radio info. It has a digital tuner.

http://www.casmfg.com/MUSTANG%2064-66%20Slidebar.htm

Here's their latest and greatest digital tuner 740 model radio.

Custom Autosound USA-740 AM/FM Radio with Bluetooth, AUX Inputs and USB Input for all 1965-1966 Mustangs.

Is your classic 1965-1966 Mustang in need of a new Radio? Then you should definitely check out this Custom Autosound USA-740 AM/FM Radio with Bluetooth, AUX Inputs and USB Input from CJ Pony Parts! This radio from Custom Autosound looks just like a classic radio but provides modern features.

Custom AutoSound USA-740 AM/FM Radio CAM-MS-USA-740 Features:
- AM/FM RDS Tuner with 25 presets (15FM/10AM)
- RDS Tuner shows station/song/artist on LCD Display
- 300 Watts Peak 2-Ohm stable
- 7 LCD color choices (selectable ­ white/red/blue/ cyan/ green/ yellow/ pink)
- LCD Dimmer Control
- Clock or Function Display Priority (switchable)
- Bluetooth and Remote Microphone Included
- USB Port for Flash Drive MP3/WMA/FLAC/WAV Playback Direct CD-I Control
- Two Aux-inputs: Mini Jack front, RCA Rear?
- Alpha Numeric Display for MP3/WMA/FLAC/WAV
- Electronic Tuning and Volume Control with Last Volume Memory
- Separate Bass/Mid/Treble Tone Control
- Loudness Compensation for Low Volume Listening
- DSP EQ
- Front/Rear Fader and Left/Right Balance Control
- Digital Clock
- Hi-Volt 4 Channel RCA Pre-Outs
- Hi-Volt Subwoofer Line-Out with X-Over Level Adjustments
- USA/EUR/JAP/RUS Tuner Capability (USA Default)
- Auto-store automatically fill presets with strongest stations
- Power Antenna Lead

The USA-740 Radio retains a classic appearance in the interior of your 65-66 Mustang while providing you with the latest features such as Bluetooth, AUX inputs, and a USB input. Built-in Bluetooth includes a microphone and allows you to answer calls and stream music from a Bluetooth capable phone or device. You can even playback songs in an MP3, WMA, FLAC or WAV format from a USB flash drive using the USB input! Looking to plug in your I-pod or use satellite radio? No problem, the USA-740 Radio features a front mini jack auxiliary audio input and RCA auxiliary audio input for multiple options of devices.

Multiple LCD colors can be selected to match the color of your instrument cluster for a great uniform look. The LCD display will also show station, song, and artist. Installation of the Custom Autosound USA-740 Radio is a breeze and does not require you to make any additional modifications to your dash.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:16:58 am by barnett468 »

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 06:52:02 am »
Now there's a generous offer Barnett468! :thumb: Shipping has always been a killer on these radios so I expect the forum members will keep you busy!  :grin:

The new Slidebar looks great at $300 US retail but lacks inbuilt Bluetooth (optional kit). The 740 would be perfect apart from that unnecessary Mustang badge on the faceplate (what sort of car is this????)

Evan.

P.S. Be sure to confirm with CAS that the digital tuners are fully compatible with Aussie radio frequencies (AM & FM).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:37:32 am by evan »

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 08:11:46 am »
We were a dealer for custom auto sound years ago and I know the owner and have been to their shop many times. The USA 1 with cassette has been discontinued, not sure abut the USA 66. Some of their models have an analog tuner which I wouldn't buy it. Those have a rubber band connecting the tuner knob to the tuner needle just like a stock radio.  No matter which brand you get, I would get a digital one.

Custom Auto Sounds newest model is a 740. The retail price is $349.00 usd and I could get one for a bit less and ship it to you if you wanted it or any of their other ones they make if you can't find them reasonably priced in oz. Also, the more you buy, the cheaper they will be in case you know any one else that wants one of theirs.

Shipping for 1 up to possibly 4 radios might be $60.00 total ($15.00) each but I can only put a $400.00 value on for insurance against loss etc, but I think it would go straight to your door. Shipping for one only might be $35.00 up to $50.00 depending on whether it will fit in the small box etc. If I have an orig 4v carb and you buy it, both the carb and at least one radio will fit in the same box which would be 12" x 12" x 12".

If you want, let me know what you can get them for in oz and include shipping to your door and I will see if I can save you much over their price which I'm guessing I can even with the shipping cost.

Here's their slide bar radio info. It has a digital tuner.

http://www.casmfg.com/MUSTANG%2064-66%20Slidebar.htm

Here's their latest and greatest digital tuner 740 model radio.

Ok Barny,

In ready to pull the trigger. www.classiccarstereos.com list two radios I am interested in.

USA 740 as you suggested @ $314.95 plus est ship $60 They also have a 64 OE replica which I really like. My car is an early 65 and the radio looks like the 64.
64 OE Replica bluetooth @$499.95 plus ship est $60 (My mistake! This is a different brand not custom auto sound)

If we can work a package with the carb I'm good to go. Could you please pm or email with price of both radio options

My car radio

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:28:43 am by mcarnage59 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 08:33:03 am »
P.S. Be sure to confirm with CAS that the digital tuners are fully compatible with Aussie radio frequencies (AM & FM).

They are compatible with european frequencies. There is a switch on the 230 and 630 and the 740 can be switched over digitally through the tuning controls.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:34:35 am by barnett468 »

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 08:39:58 am »
They are compatible with european frequencies. There is a switch on the 230 and 630 and the 740 can be switched over digitally through the tuning controls.  :thumb:

Ok all good, As a corrected my post above. The second radio option 64 OE replica is not the same manufacturer so sorry for including it.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:52:48 am »
I can confirm the Euro frequency setting works down here for our stations.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 09:13:10 am »

how much are these at a aussie mustang shop?

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 09:14:44 am »

how much are these at a aussie mustang shop?

$195AUD  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 09:17:05 am »
ok, their slide bar radio is $299.00 retail plus $100.00 if you want to add blue tooth. i can get it for less.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 09:17:32 am »
$195AUD  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:kickass:

ummm...i have mustangs of melbourne's phone number and they are open now.  :toetapping:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:19:31 am by barnett468 »