Late model brakes on 68 mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Late model brakes on 68 mustang  (Read 11383 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Late model brakes on 68 mustang
« on: July 26, 2017, 08:32:00 pm »
Hi guys,
I'm doing heaps of work on my 68 Mustung,  it has four wheels discs but could be better.
Has anyone fitted FPV or similar brake discs and calipers to an old car.
I realise that I'll have to get the studs redrilled for old pattern, but what other problems could I run into.
Thanks AussiePhil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: Late model brakes on 68 mustang
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:04:53 am »
 You need hub adaptors, which a mob on eBay sell, that will fit the mustang spindle. The disc will then go on. To fit the brembo  calipers you'll need caliper adaptors made up. Racebrakes in sydney can make them but not cheap. Then you'll need at least 18" wheels, and the offset will be finicky too as the brembos are quite thick, and will hit the spokes on a lot of wheels

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:06:14 am »
It will be cheaper in the end if you got a good 6 piston Baer or Wilwood kit, if you wanted the larger calipers/discs that is

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:44:16 am »
I have Baers on my '69 S code Mach 1 and they fit nice and work well. 

As mentioned you will probably need 17" wheels for clearance but the Baer calipers are nice and slim so offset isn't a problem.  The other thing is depending on what you get you may need more vacuum and/or a bigger booster to generate enough hydraulic pressure for the larger brakes.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:47:47 am »
You need hub adaptors

^ they're illegal without certification.

'Wheel adapters' are classed the same as 'wheel spacers'.

The problem is that a vehicle built to meet the Australian Design Rules, must be fitted with wheels designed for that vehicle.

If wheel adapters are used, the wheel isn't an approved type which was designed for that vehicle.

Following is the description from the Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Modifications.

"the wheel must be one designed for the particular hub/axle in respect to bolt pitch circle diameter

and wheel nut tapers. Wheels with slotted stud holes are not permitted;"

This is also specified on page 4 of Vehicle Standards Information Sheet No. 9.

If you have any other enquiries, don't hesitate to reply or contact Technical Enquiries on 1300 137 302.

Regards

Colin Lambert

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-bodykits-f15/hub-adaptor-illegal-nsw-rta-t17762.html

He also writes on another forum:

Engineers certification will be needed for these items to be fitted legally.

The reason being, on page 4 of VSI 9, it states under the heading of "Additional requirements for replacement wheels":

"The wheel must be one designed for the particular hub/axle in respect to bolt pitch circle diameter and wheel nut tapers".

The fitment of these adapters then indicates that the wheel is one not designed for the vehicle hub/axle.

If you have any other enquiries, don't hesitate to reply or contact Technical Enquiries on 1300 137 302.
Regards
Colin Lambert

Probably easier to get your axles and hubs redrilled or replaced with those of the right PCD, at least if anyone checks, it all looks legit. ;)

s
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:53:33 am by StephenSLR »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 11:05:30 am »
Sorry mate, I'm talking about a complete new hub that fits your spindle but allow later discs to be used. Wasn't  talking about bolt on wheel adaptors/spacers, which is what your information is talking about. Like the hubs in this add, which you can buy on their own https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142451196183
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:09:46 am by Husky65 »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 11:29:23 am »
Sorry mate, I'm talking about a complete new hub that fits your spindle but allow later discs to be used.

Yeah, that's the best way to go about it. Some kit providers will ask what wheel you want to fit and will have them drilled to whatever wheel combo you want; I know Hoppers Stoppers will do this, Ford hub with Holden pattern, etc. but apparently if you go direct to DBA, they will only supply the standard hub patterns.

s

Offline Michael H

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 06:49:17 pm »
Yes, I have fitted FPV brakes to a 67. They were for a Territory Turbo. Way way cheaper than Brembo. More than enough to pull up a light weight Mustang in a hurry. I've fitted VE commodore brakes to a 68. I've fitted Baer brakes to both 67 & 68. Apart from stud length and potential clearance issues (which you may not have), all the pistons in these brakes require a much bigger fluid volume than your generic type Mustang master cylinder will provide.  Baer make a nice "re master" that will fit between your shock tower and booster as well as a built in bias valve. You may have to fiddle with pedal ratio and pushrod length to optimise your set up.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:51:08 pm by Michael H »

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 08:11:29 pm »
Thanks all for your input, I'll look over all in depth, no problems with wheels, 18 x 8 on front and 18 x 9.5 on back.
AussiePhil.

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Stephen
  • Car: 70 Sportsroof Grabber pac
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:09:34 pm »
I think hubs are also banned in NSW. I recall something that states you cannot change the OEM hub at all. Have a look at RMS site it actually gives you a lot of info on vehicle mods. Some might make you rethink your entire car build. Sure has for me.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 08:24:53 pm »
They're not banned. You just need to get them engineered.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 09:02:17 am »
They're not banned. You just need to get them engineered.

Did you use these on your car, I'm looking at a set they have that fit in a 15" wheel. If so how are they?

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 02:41:44 pm »
Yeah I bought the mustang kit through someone on these forums. I replaced the discs with some dba ones, got better pads, and used stainless lines instead of the supplied rubber. But they do work very well. Can't comment on fitting inside 15's as I have 17's.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 03:01:48 pm »
Yeah I bought the mustang kit through someone on these forums. I replaced the discs with some dba ones, got better pads, and used stainless lines instead of the supplied rubber. But they do work very well. Can't comment on fitting inside 15's as I have 17's.

Ok I spoke to them and and they suggested different pads for track days some made by QFD, and prehaps some air ducting, Gear club sessions at Lakeside and QR are 10-15 laps. What are pads Commodore or something? so your's are 296mm rotors. I have to use a falcon kit as I have Falcon stubs

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 03:12:27 pm »
The hub is to suit falcon rotors. I put a set of DBA 4000 BA falcon 298x28 on there. The calipers are VE commodore though. I used the QFM HPX pads. They also have a more track orientated pad, the QFM A1RM.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 03:27:27 pm »
Ok , how hard have you run them?

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 03:40:48 pm »
Not that hard mate. To be honest I don't know how they would go on a track. With some cooling and good pads they may do ok, but the pads aren't that big.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 03:52:21 pm »
Not that hard mate. To be honest I don't know how they would go on a track. With some cooling and good pads they may do ok, but the pads aren't that big.

Yeah agree, think I'll give them a try, my next option for 15" wheels is to go to the Trans -am package which uses custom hubs and 6 piston corvette willwoods on a floating rotor which is about 3k, . The PBRs will be fine for Hill climb its over in less than a minute, Lakeside I'll see I guess, I'll buy 2 sets of rotors and keep 1 as track set with the good pads, I can put a chin spoiler on it and make some ducting if needs be down the track

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 04:05:23 pm »
Yeah I'm going to do a hillclimb soon so I want to give them a test then. Might upgrade to the track pads.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 05:37:12 pm »
Yeah I'm going to do a hillclimb soon so I want to give them a test then. Might upgrade to the track pads.

Hmm as long as they work cold.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 05:39:31 pm »
They're advertised as an aggressive street/track day pad, so they should be fine.

I did use the same project mu pads that some of the v8 supercars run on a street car once, never again ha ha. Sounded like metal on metal, could wake up my whole street with a slight touch of the pedal.

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 02:42:31 am »
Hi all, Well I went with Wilwood dynolites, they're great, the only negative side are the small bleed screws and the bench bleed plastic fittings,  make your own!
Cheers Phil

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 08:21:54 pm »
Hi, guys, as I  said before ive gone for Wilwood dynolites, please see the photos.
Cheers Phil.