Importing from USA, pros and cons?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing from USA, pros and cons?  (Read 11359 times)

Offline David C

• Stallion
  • Just do it!
  • Name: David
Importing from USA, pros and cons?
« on: July 26, 2017, 03:09:52 pm »
I've seen a couple of cars on USA auctions that I'm interested in, and compared to local prices, (even considering the exchange rate) the price seems reasonable.
However I know nothing about is what happens after you pay the salesman/auctioneer etc., so I'm hesitant.

Who's the best guys to use to import the car?
What's the cost of landing a car from US in AU (Perth) over and above the asking price?
How long does it take?
Are there pitfalls and risks?
How difficult is it getting the US car registered locally?
Is the juice worth the squeeze?

'17 GT (Magnetic)
'72 Mach1 (Red)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Importing from USA, pros and cons?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:18:49 pm »
For starters what year cars are you talking about ? . 2nd , it sounds easy but it's hard enough doing this even when you are in the USA .   I just wouldn't do it and I've been to the states about 12 times and wouldn't buy one from here .  Others have and it's been fine but others will tell you horror stories .

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 04:11:51 pm »
A lot of people will tell you about the pitfalls in the process and there are many.

Assuming you are sure the car you want to buy is solid, these are the basic things you have to look after if you decide to go ahead:

- Sort out a secure payment method that protects you as well as the seller
- Arrange pickup and transport of the vehicle to port
- Sort out US Customs export paperwork
- Engage a shipping company/agent
- Engage a local Customs Broker in Australia
- Arrange local pickup and transport to home

There are plenty of people that will handle the entire process for you, but you will obviously be paying their margin on top of whatever the actual costs are and you are putting 100% trust in that person to do the right thing. 

I've found the best mix of involvement vs. hassle for me is to look after the sale myself, then have a US shipping agent arrange the overland transport, export paperwork and shipping of the car to the Australian port.  From there I use a local broker to handle the unpacking, Customs inspection and clearance of the vehicle.  I then pick up the car myself and drive it home (only ever bought running/driving vehicles).  That way I've got a sense of involvement and joy out of the process rather than just buying something online and having it delivered to my door.

Costs will vary a fair bit depending on the price of the car, where it's located in the US, the agent(s) you use and how much work you do yourself, but you can use the following as a very rough guide:

- Inland transport to US port: USD $500 - $1,500
- Shipping from Long Beach CA to MEL/SYD/BNE in shared container and all export paperwork preparation: USD $1,300 - $1,700
- Marine insurance (a must have) @1.5% of vehicle value
- Local broker's fees covering unpacking/inspection/clearance/etc: $1,500 - $2,000
- Local pickup and transport to home (if required): $300 - $500
- GST @10% on the landed value of the vehicle (purchase price + inland transport + shipping)

As an example, with a USD $30K car you could expect to be up for another USD $8K or so to cover all the associated transport and import/export costs to get it to your door, more if something goes wrong along the way.

I would never say don't do it, just be aware of the traps and make sure you add in the extra costs when you're looking at the shiny cars in the U.S. online listings :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:01:54 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:25:13 pm »
And before paying the money for the car, confirm bank account details multiple ways!!!!!!!

It wasn't long ago that another forum member lost his entire payment after the seller's e-mail system was hacked and account details changed.

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:32:22 pm »
You may also want to read the post titled "Asbestos madness" further down this column. It is the latest that's creating panic nationwide and it's real...... :cry:

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 04:39:27 pm »
Bosskraft in the states has just been certified by the US govt to undertake inspections for asbestos on cars.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 05:57:43 pm »
And before paying the money for the car, confirm bank account details multiple ways!!!!!!

Always confirm details with seller via a phone call at an absolute minimum. I actually contacted the seller's bank directly (with their permission) to confirm details.  Safer still is to use a local lawyer for the handover or a third party escrow service.

You may also want to read the post titled "Asbestos madness" further down this column. It is the latest that's creating panic nationwide and it's real...... :cry:

No to belittle this issue in any way but the advice I have is that individuals privately importing single cars are not being targeted. And as mentioned above, there is a rush to set up inspection/removal services in the U.S. for those that are nervous.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:28:17 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 04:23:13 am »

Well I am in the states and might be able to find what you are looking for or get one you buy to a shipper in los angeles or inspect one you are interested in if it is within 70 miles from me.

Here's one I just sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Ford-Mustang-/201980709238?hash=item2f06fd0976:g:1gEAAOSwiQ9ZWFqB&vxp=mtr

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:35:40 am by barnett468 »

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 07:58:02 am »

Well I am in the states and might be able to find what you are looking for or get one you buy to a shipper in los angeles or inspect one you are interested in if it is within 70 miles from me.

Here's one I just sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Ford-Mustang-/201980709238?hash=item2f06fd0976:g:1gEAAOSwiQ9ZWFqB&vxp=mtr

Is it a 6 or 8 cylinder car barney?

I couldn't tell from reading the listing.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 09:18:09 am »
Is it a 6 or 8 cylinder car barney?

I couldn't tell from reading the listing.

That is a 6 cylinder. If it was an 8 cylinder it would be around $17,000.00 and that would be a very decent deal. It sold for full price 2 weeks ago to the first person that looked at it from a local ad I also had running.

If it deal sounds to good to be true...it is. 

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:20:09 am by barnett468 »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 09:19:47 am »
It was a 6 cyl as we know barney banana couldn't Handel a V8  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 09:26:10 am »
It was a 6 cyl as we know barney banana couldn't Handel a V8  :lmao:

Really...that's odd cuz I seemed to be able to easily handle an 8 when I suddenly dropped everything I was doing to drive down to the bank to deposit $5.00 into your bank account that you borrowed from me that you still haven't paid back!

:kickass:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 09:56:41 am »
Is that why it took you so long to put that $5 in , you didn't drive a V8 because  you went to the bank in a 6 cylinder mustang  :lmao: :lmao: . I drive a 4 cyl so it's going to take years for me to give you that $5 because you live so far away  :lmao: Gee with all those Americans I got $5 from I went and bought a new mustang ,how smart am I   :burnout:  :lmao:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:59:11 am by GLENN 70 »

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 10:17:26 am »
David

I just imported a car (LA to Perth), arrived a few weeks ago, my thoughts

The biggest issue for me was trust (the seller), had a really shit experience with a build (NSW) that is still in the hands of the courts - so didn't want to repeat that. Car I ended up buying was via ebay, I spent some time post the auction talking with the seller and got to the point where I was OK (researched him, good guy etc) so did the deal (I did not use an intermediary, so literally he had the cash and the car for a period).

I did get the car inspected (but was not what I would call a "real" inspection, was more pics and report so I could see it was as advertised), if it had of been something special (eg Shelby) then of course I would have been more thorough and also you have a better chance of finding the history of rarer cars

That scenario of course changes depending on who you buy off but I cant see how you can completely de-risk the process (at some point, you need to trust someone - that is why the market for "buyers agents" exists, some are members here and also a good option)

In terms of $ - this is interesting, I did look locally (was my preference) but could not really find what I wanted - my car was $US32k and owes me around $AUD50 landed. Once again, the maths changes considerably if you are looking at more expensive cars and you fall into LCT (With our $ the way it is and LCT, cant imagine people will be importing expensive cars)

Who - I used http://americawest.net.au/, MOCWA sponsors. Wayne is pretty "old school" so don't expect live tracking data and copious pics but he knows his shit and brings in lots of cars
How Long - bloody ages, 3 months give or take
Registered - I wont register this one but I did my 66, no real issues (went full rego instead of club)
Is it worth it - million $ question, car is as I expected and I could not get it here for the $ - to me it was worth it but others may not see the value, personal choice

I am Perth, happy to show you the car/reports etc if that helps and/or chat in more detail

cheers

greg

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 01:31:39 pm »
David

I just imported a car (LA to Perth), arrived a few weeks ago, my thoughts

The biggest issue for me was trust (the seller), had a really shit experience with a build (NSW) that is still in the hands of the courts - so didn't want to repeat that. Car I ended up buying was via ebay, I spent some time post the auction talking with the seller and got to the point where I was OK (researched him, good guy etc) so did the deal (I did not use an intermediary, so literally he had the cash and the car for a period).

I did get the car inspected (but was not what I would call a "real" inspection, was more pics and report so I could see it was as advertised), if it had of been something special (eg Shelby) then of course I would have been more thorough and also you have a better chance of finding the history of rarer cars

That scenario of course changes depending on who you buy off but I cant see how you can completely de-risk the process (at some point, you need to trust someone - that is why the market for "buyers agents" exists, some are members here and also a good option)

In terms of $ - this is interesting, I did look locally (was my preference) but could not really find what I wanted - my car was $US32k and owes me around $AUD50 landed. Once again, the maths changes considerably if you are looking at more expensive cars and you fall into LCT (With our $ the way it is and LCT, cant imagine people will be importing expensive cars)

Who - I used http://americawest.net.au/, MOCWA sponsors. Wayne is pretty "old school" so don't expect live tracking data and copious pics but he knows his shit and brings in lots of cars
How Long - bloody ages, 3 months give or take
Registered - I wont register this one but I did my 66, no real issues (went full rego instead of club)
Is it worth it - million $ question, car is as I expected and I could not get it here for the $ - to me it was worth it but others may not see the value, personal choice

I am Perth, happy to show you the car/reports etc if that helps and/or chat in more detail

cheers

greg

Hi Greg
So what car did you end up purchasing for the $$$ you spent?

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 02:07:44 pm »
65 FB A code (done up as a GT350 clone for light track)

347 (400hp evidently, FR block/SVO heads, has had some $ spent on the engine recently), T5, 9", Accusump, fuel cell, full cage, 3" side exhaust etc

Paint/Panel is "OK", its no show car but no rust - only round the car park so far but fun/scary and sounds ludicrous

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 09:24:57 pm »

347 (400hp evidently, FR block/SVO heads, has had some $ spent on the engine recently), T5, 9", Accusump, fuel cell, full cage, 3" side exhaust etc

Paint/Panel is "OK", its no show car but no rust - only round the car park so far but fun/scary and sounds ludicrous

Niiiiiice... Any pics? Pls... Only if you're happy to post.

Offline PET-289

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 08:11:53 am »

Any drama's with the asbestos issues going on?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 08:53:09 am »
I have herd of 1 car from a importer/dealer getting done .  But I know of plenty of cars coming in with no checks at all and all the importers did was sign a form stating their cars were asbestos free . It's a bit like the laws stating you can't bring a car in with modifications ,no one is checking them here so everyone says they are standard . It's just a wast of time . Still a risk tho signing that form and taking the risk of getting a fine ,fixing the car or loosing it .

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 10:53:15 am »
Still a risk tho signing that form and taking the risk of getting a fine ,fixing the car or loosing it .

Very low chance of it happening from what I hear.  So far it's the typical internet fear mongering where lots of people supposedly know of it happening, but nobody has any concrete details to share.

Probably the same chance of your car getting pulled apart for asbestos checks as there is of it getting the same treatment looking for drugs or other illegal activities.  If this was happening on a widespread scale there would be no cars getting through at all...

So, can someone quote details of a verified, specific instance of it happening?  And direct knowledge only, not something you heard or read on another web site?
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Michael H

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 02:37:29 pm »
So, can someone quote details of a verified, specific instance of it happening?  And direct knowledge only, not something you heard or read on another web site?

Yes. A friend who has been importing for 40 years recently told me that customs checked the brake pads and engine gaskets on a container of his. This caused him to strike a deal with a company in the US that will swap these things out on all cars he imports regardless. If you import a car through his company, you have to pay for this as he will not take somebody's word or risk it. From memory, they are charging about $500 US per car.

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 05:22:12 pm »
Any drama's with the asbestos issues going on?

No issues (or with the others in my container), put that down to luck or good importer I guess, but we had not done any pre-inspection work or anything (A friend did see this though - http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=FOC_201707_SS2, so I guess there is a problem but no idea how often people are getting pinged, not too often I assume)

When I picked mine up there we two ex South African cars (XW GT and a HK Monaro) in the shed waiting pickup - these were very "rustic" (as in, "barn find), they looked dodgy just being there   :bomb:

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 05:42:11 pm »
Yes. A friend who has been importing for 40 years recently told me that customs checked the brake pads and engine gaskets on a container of his.

OK, that's one.  Sounds like your guy does this for a living, so still looking for an example of an individual private import being tagged for asbestos inspection.

Advice I have is that no individual private import has been inspected where the declaration has been lodged. I don't necessarily believe it 100%, but waiting to hear of a real life example to the contrary before I decide if the sky is falling...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline David C

• Stallion
  • Just do it!
  • Name: David
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 10:26:47 pm »
Nope, the juice does not seem worth the squeeze.  :bolt:
'17 GT (Magnetic)
'72 Mach1 (Red)

Offline BAC