Launching manual GT in track mode - clutch concerns

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Launching manual GT in track mode - clutch concerns  (Read 2916 times)

Offline 17stang

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Hi everyone,

I have just clocked over 2200kms with my GT and enjoyed every minute so far!

after running in pretty gently I've started to try improve launch times

My last couple of launches (in track mode) I've revved the car up to about 3000rpm then released clutch and fed more power in. Slipping it a little.
The tyres have initially spun up and the car will get off the mark wheels spinning.  With it floored the car will, after a second or so, bog down until the tyres fully grip and then if I kept it floored it starts losing forward momentum and motor speed is not correct to road speed (like the clutch is slipping). So I've just been aborting at that point so I don't completely burn the clutch out. 

Feels like the there is a power cut happening to regain traction (even in track mode) and then once this happens the car is not free to make enough power to keep the tyres spinning at speed causing the clutch to slip.(I would have thought the clutch engagement would be far more powerful than the tyre friction if working properly?)

Anyone experienced something similar? I'm thinking the clutch needs adjusting at first service. Is there a traction control cut in that you have to be mindful of in track mode?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Launching manual GT in track mode - clutch concerns
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:06:40 am »
Track mode  in a manual only makes the throttle more responsive ,unlike in an auto trans which helps the shift points .  1st turn your traction control OFF , your car will thank you  :smile01: .   Dropping the clutch at high revs will cause wheel spin and lose of traction and spin the wheels ,nothing different to cars from the 70s .  You have to learn the happy medium with enough revs to lunch the car fast with out wheel spin .  Traction control will cut power when the wheels loose traction then bring it back on when it has traction  :sick: .  If you want traction with std street suspension and normal street tyres GOOD LUCK .  The only way is with a soft tread street tyre ,and the king will be the mickey Thompson ET street radial and that will be the 285/35x19 in the SS series .  The only problem is they will wear out quicker the a normal street tyre and not Handel as well as most tyres as you run a lower pressure . You can't buy a 275/40x19 ET street tyre . Another thing to watch is spinning yours wheels in these mustangs , axle tramp/ axle hop . You do not want this  to happen at all ,it can break things like axles etc . Axle hop is when the wheels spin and the wheel lifts off the road then comes back down ,time after time . Not good .
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:43:20 am by GLENN 70 »

Offline 17stang

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 06:44:05 pm »
Awesome!

Thanks so much for the response. Immediate grin this morning when traction was switched off  :burnout:. Love easy fixes! Car feels much better now so will try some more starts this weekend! Will investigate suspecnsion/tyres if not quick enough, thanks for the info in the tyres and axle hop.

Clutch still feels ok so hopefully not too much damage.

ford really shouldn't have the traction off light illuminate when u switch to track mode. Because it's still on! BUT might be helpful if I loan the car to anyone.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:44:47 pm »
I went out tonight and tried a few quick take offs  :sick:  not happy  :burnout:  . It's an auto and smokes the tyres if you hit it hard ,even if you don't  :cry:  .The worst thing is very bad axle tramp and that's very bad for the car .  All Ford day Sunday QLD and 1/4 racing so I think I will be running bad times ,and slow off the line . Was hoping to run very low 13s but it would be lucky to do that . With that wheel spin it changes gear to soon then is a bit doggy till the revs come back up . It's a no win thing

Offline 17stang

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:09:09 pm »
How did you go on the weekend???

I manage a best 0-100 of 6.6 which is well off the tested times I've read. more practice required. The timer makes me realise how bad a starter I am :ouch:

Still haven't got the balance right.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:16 pm »
How did I go on the weekend  :lmao:  69 ish and I got canned from the track because our helmets were out of date   :sick: .  I will go back in a few weeks after I buy and fit new rear end bushes  to stop the axle hop in the rear end .  Mine is an auto so it's very easy to drive and get off the line as long as you drive it to get no wheel spin . I'm expecting a high 12 sec pass .  Maybe  :smile01:

Offline Prateek

• Pony
  • S550 Lighting Blue MY17
  • Name: Prateek
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 04:05:26 pm »
17Stang, you must be going easy on your car... mate you just need to work out the correct combination of revs & road. Trials should bring you down to low 5 Secs. I do 6.0 Secs easy on my Ecoboost i.e. 1700 rpm start , auto Trans Sport mode only ... had best so far 5.4 Sec 0-100Km/h Track mode. Also, try doing it in Automatic timer start then to Xmas tree lights.