Convertible roof protection

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Convertible roof protection  (Read 3143 times)

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
  • Name: Tim
Convertible roof protection
« on: July 04, 2017, 07:39:45 pm »
Collecting my GT convertible in August (currently at sea on the Taipan).

I did decide to have dealer-applied paint protection (which they discounted) but they wanted way too much $ to put a protective product on the rag top, plus the interior.  Interior I can do myself.  So, want to know if any of you guys have applied any protective product to your rag tops - any product recommendations or warnings about?

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
Re: Convertible roof protection
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 08:20:50 pm »
There a face book page called detailing lifestyle or something similar. They will have all the clues. I've also seen a product from Waxit called Quartz. If you watch the promo video it is amazing.
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:25:19 pm »

If it's not too late to cancel the paint protection, cancel it!!!!! The product dealers use is usually just a cheap $50 sealant that's just full of fillers and doesn't last 3mths (or until the 1st BP wash). A drive-thru carwash cafe does my local dealers 'paint protection' in under an hour.

Take it to a pro detailer and get a proper job done. For around$1,000 he'll spend a day getting the paint perfect (without any fillers) and then apply proper protection to your paint, interior and top that will last year's.

Once it's done, google '2 bucket was method', and buy a nice plush drying towel to keep the Swirls (micro scratches) to a minimum.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 08:28:53 pm »

If it's not too late to cancel the paint protection, cancel it!!!!! The product dealers use is usually just a cheap $50 sealant that's just full of fillers and doesn't last 3mths (or until the 1st BP wash). A drive-thru carwash cafe does my local dealers 'paint protection' in under an hour.

Take it to a pro detailer and get a proper job done. For around$1,000 he'll spend a day getting the paint perfect (without any fillers) and then apply proper protection to your paint, interior and top that will last year's.

Once it's done, google '2 bucket was method', and buy a nice plush drying towel to keep the Swirls (micro scratches) to a minimum.

Waxit have those drying towels as well. I couldnt believe the difference from a chamios :thumb:

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:32:03 pm »
There a face book page called detailing lifestyle or something similar. They will have all the clues. I've also seen a product from Waxit called Quartz. If you watch the promo video it is amazing.

Cquartz UK is a great product. I used it on my wife's Impreza and the super soft paint has held up remarkably well for over 20yrs now. 

Like spray painting, preparation is the key.  The coating is cheap (under $100) but I spent a full day getting her new cars paint just right before applying the coating.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 08:37:26 pm »

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 08:46:51 pm »
I've got a couple of the big tempest towels and love them.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 08:50:07 pm »
This the stuff I was talking about for the convertible top.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/fabric-upholstery-protectants/products/carpro-cquartz-fabric-500ml-1l

I did the carpets, boot and seats of two big 4wd with the one bottle. It stinks for a couple of days but has survived toddlers surprisingly well.