435hp to kW's ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 435hp to kW's ?  (Read 3599 times)

Offline GTA302

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: pete
435hp to kW's ?
« on: May 10, 2017, 04:55:48 pm »
I did a quick google, 435hp to kw's conversion and get 324kw , but Ford advertise the GT at 306 kw, what are your thoughts on this ,

Offline Prateek

• Pony
  • S550 Lighting Blue MY17
  • Name: Prateek
Re: 435hp to kW's ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:11:40 pm »
Hi Mate,

Left hand drive cars have 435hp in US, with Right Hand Drive they had to reduced the size of header pipe or exhaust ( not sure ) and AU / EU spec lost 25 hp

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:24:36 pm »
The measuring standards are different in the US. They measure HP WITHOUT ancillaries like alternator, A/C, power steering etc.We use the European DIN standard which includes these items, hence reducing the final figure.
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 06:49:25 pm »
The measuring standards are different in the US. They measure HP WITHOUT ancillaries like alternator, A/C, power steering etc.

You are 45 years out of date: the Americans have been using net horsepower measurements since the early 70's.  From Wikipedia:

In the United States, the term bhp fell into disuse in 1971–1972, as automakers began to quote power in terms of SAE net horsepower in accord with SAE standard J1349. Like SAE gross and other brake horsepower protocols, SAE Net hp is measured at the engine's crankshaft, and so does not account for transmission losses. However, the SAE net power testing protocol calls for standard production-type belt-driven accessories, air cleaner, emission controls, exhaust system, and other power-consuming accessories.

Cheers,
Brian

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08:55:09 pm »
SAE not DIN nether the less! two different standards.
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 09:05:41 pm »
In my world 306 kW = 410 HP

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 09:53:36 pm »
SAE not DIN nether the less! two different standards.

**Sigh** You said Americans measure their horsepower figures without ancillaries which is incorrect.  Muddying the waters by bringing DIN standards into it does not explain the differences the OP posted about. 

For the record:

DIN unit of metric horsepower (often denoted by the letters PS), 1 PS = 735.5 Watts
SAE net measures in mechanical horsepower, 1 HP = 745.7 Watts

1 PS = 0.986 mechanical HP, so power output quoted in PS will be slightly higher than if quoted as HP.

306KW = 410HP = 416PS, so unit differences do not explain the output figure discrepancy between US and Aussie spec cars.

FYI the official power measurement unit in the EU (and Australia for that matter) is KW rather than PS or HP.  We have never officially used the DIN standard for metric horsepower in Australia as far as I know, so I believe your other statement to be incorrect as well...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:29:41 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:13:13 pm »
Whether my previous statement was incorrect or not, that is the difference between countries, the standards, DIN vs SAE, that is why the difference...it has nothing to do with the LHD vs RHD exhaust manifolds...THAT WAS MY POINT
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:15:58 pm by GT Sally »

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:26:05 pm »
Whether my previous statement was incorrect or not, that is the difference between countries, the standards, DIN vs SAE, that is why the difference...it has nothing to do with the LHD vs RHD exhaust manifolds...THAT WAS MY POINT

And unfortunately your point is wrong... 

306KW (Aus) = 410HP (USA) = 416PS (EU/DIN)

None of the above figures equates to the quoted 435HP for US spec cars so there must be some reason for the discrepancy other than use of different measurement standards.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:14:35 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Prateek

• Pony
  • S550 Lighting Blue MY17
  • Name: Prateek
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 10:15:45 am »
Hi GT Sally,

The below article may have got the wrong power numbers for USA market but may provide you enough reasons for my comment,

it Clearly says "V8 makes slightly less power than originally intended. When converting the cars to RHD, the exhaust manifold had to be redesigned to clear the steering gear, making it more constrictive and robbing the car of a little power at the top end, Torque, acceleration and fuel consumption are reportedly not affected"

I have highlighted for quick read,

Cheers,

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/heres-why-british-v8-mustangs-are-less-powerful-than-their-american-equivalents/