Bought a dog of a pony

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Bought a dog of a pony  (Read 18191 times)

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Re: Bought a dog of a pony
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2017, 05:19:18 pm »
thanks barnett - got a fair chunk of that list already covered, which is good as we're on the same track ;) Engine was running 10.5:1 before hand, and will remain that way with the new build as well.

:thumb:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2017, 05:32:02 pm »
I might be wrong here but I thought you had the head gaskets just replaced ?  So are the heads Aussie 302 Cleveland heads ? . Anyway it will be up and going before you know it .

Offline robbie

• Pony
  • I don't even...
  • Name: Robbie
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2017, 05:51:47 pm »
no mate it was the inlet manifold gaskets that had the previous engineer stumped for some reason. They were replaced though eventually.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2017, 06:39:25 pm »
Ok  :thumb: . Also pulling cast iron Cleveland heads is hard enough in a 67 on mustang but in a 65/66  :thud:  not me .  If it needs a new crank etc a stroker bottom end is the go ,and those big heads will work much better than in a 289/302  cu in engine .

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2017, 11:52:01 pm »
Ok  :thumb: . Also pulling cast iron Cleveland heads is hard enough in a 67 on mustang but in a 65/66  :thud:  not me .  If it needs a new crank etc a stroker bottom end is the go ,and those big heads will work much better than in a 289/302  cu in engine .

:thumb:

Yeah, if you need to machine the crank, it won't cost a whole lot more to get a stroker crank or possibly even a 351 crank that if that is more cost effective, but GLENN, shaunp and boofhead will know prices better and boofhead may have some of these pats so send him a pm if you are interested.

351 cranks should be dirt cheap in oz because zillions of people yank them out to put stroker cranks in.

Offline gbx78

• Stallion
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2017, 06:25:02 pm »
wow surprised to see this thread. Ive been in that car when it was completed many years ago. The thing is like a rocket, superb handling and sticks to the road like sh!t on a blanket. At the time i was nearly ready for paint and Sean wanted to give me an taste of the tcp setup which is what i have. All i remember was flying down a windy road with a roaring engine. Left a big smile on my face!. From memory the engine was a boss? or to spec?

anyway already some good advice on direction

Good luck im sure you will sort it out with minimal effort and costs

Offline robbie

• Pony
  • I don't even...
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2017, 07:31:35 pm »
wow surprised to see this thread. Ive been in that car when it was completed many years ago. The thing is like a rocket, superb handling and sticks to the road like sh!t on a blanket. At the time i was nearly ready for paint and Sean wanted to give me an taste of the tcp setup which is what i have. All i remember was flying down a windy road with a roaring engine. Left a big smile on my face!. From memory the engine was a boss? or to spec?

anyway already some good advice on direction

Good luck im sure you will sort it out with minimal effort and costs

Thanks mate - you've spent more time in the car than I have by the sound of it! The rest of car is as you say quite awesome, the motor just needed some attention, which it's now getting. Hoping it won't be long before I'm flying down the windy roads myself in it :)

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2017, 04:35:15 am »
Hoping it won't be long before I'm flying down the windy roads myself in it :)

Just don't forget to wear a hat to keep your hair from blowing off, otherwise you might end up looking like GLENN.  :bolt:

Offline robbie

• Pony
  • I don't even...
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2017, 01:30:25 pm »
haha I haven't met Glenn, but I can guess we share the same (lack of hair)cut.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2017, 07:10:30 pm »
haha I haven't met Glenn, but I can guess we share the same (lack of hair)cut.

No not at all he has plenty of hair.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2017, 07:49:07 pm »
Hey Barnett I have more hair on my head than you my friend  :grin: . And just because I owe you 5 U.S. Dollars does mean you have to be mean  :grin:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2017, 11:10:33 am »
Hey Barnett I have more hair on my head than you my friend  :grin: . And just because I owe you 5 U.S. Dollars does mean you have to be mean  :grin:

Don't forget the 137% daily interest rate too!  :lmao:

Offline robbie

• Pony
  • I don't even...
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2017, 10:22:58 am »
IT'S ALIVE! Finally drove my car home from the mechanics yesterday with it's newly rebuilt engine. Everything's still a bit tight (including my driving style while driving left hook :P ) but it's going and registered.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and helped out! Now to start cruising :) Here's my little trouble maker when it was almost complete.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2017, 10:27:25 am »
Great to hear you've finally been able to drive it.  Looks like an awesome car.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2017, 10:40:51 am »
There's only one big problem with that engine.

Its not in my car :grin: :grin: :grin:
Always dreamed I'd have one!