Steeda cold air intake

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Steeda cold air intake  (Read 6016 times)

Offline WHITEMARE

• Pony
  • Platinum owner
  • Name: Karl/Louise
Steeda cold air intake
« on: March 02, 2017, 04:04:02 pm »
I take delivery of my Platinum white GT this month and I've already ordered a Steeda air intake which claims over 22rwhp. Has anyone fitted one, if so any tips and can you feel the difference? Also this was a relatively cheap mod at just over AU$600, is there any other mods that won't void the warranty? :cheers:

Offline GTA302

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: pete
Re: Steeda cold air intake
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:53:00 pm »
who did you order the Steeda CAI from ?? I'm going to fit one as well

Offline WHITEMARE

• Pony
  • Platinum owner
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 07:58:22 pm »
Ordered from USA via ebay, it worked out cheaper at current exchange rate than buying in OZ. Hurry it says 'Almost gone'

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 07:57:15 pm »
Be aware Ford will void the engine warranty with a CAI, I went to fit the roush to ours and Ford were very clear, big no no until warranty period finished.

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
  • Name: Tim
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 09:35:08 pm »
My dealer was a little less strident than that. 

Talking to guys at Autotech - Mustang guys in Canberra - they said that the modification needs to lead to the malfunction to run foul of warranty.  Even if that is the case, I think Ford's right to say 'no' to a warranty claim over a CAI would outweigh anything I would say, short of court action.

Still no sign that Ford Australia will bring in the three GT performance packs now offered in the US, noting Australian media in 2016 suggested Ford Australia would probably do so in order to get a slice of what is currently 'after market' $ in Australia.  I must admit, COI is such a minor change, and improves engine efficiency that is galling that Ford Australia can't even stomach that.  The US performance kit # 1 simply provides parts that are fitted to the GT350 so we know it won't stress engine/transmission.  I blow a raspberry to Ford Australia!!

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 09:47:36 am »
Yeah agree cto maple tell, originally we were told By the dealer they would fit the CAI, they then referred us to a mustang place here in Sydney and the guy was a right wanker, quoted me 1500 to supply and fit CAI, my feeling is Ford don't want to warrant, until they release there own, in order to get a slice of the market, Tickford now seem to be in discussion with Ford after Roush couldn't get a deal done.

Offline WHITEMARE

• Pony
  • Platinum owner
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 08:47:20 pm »
Spoke to my dealer today and his reply was "As long as the problem isn't related to the CAI, then its ok". But on the Insurance side of things all the cheap quotes of around $700 won't insure you with any mods. Will continue to get more quotes from Insurers that will. :burnout:

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:52:58 am »
Spoke to my dealer today and his reply was "As long as the problem isn't related to the CAI, then its ok".

That was exactly the attitude of my dealer's warranty guy.

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 12:37:10 pm »
Ford has to prove that the CAI caused whatever the warranty claim is for. The ACC and the Courts will have a field day with them if they deny a claim without them being able to prove it 100%.

Not even a tenous link from the CAI to the problem will be good enough to totally deny a claim. That is the law.

If they try to deny me, I'd be making the right noises  :kickass: ...... worked for me so far with my other non-Fords ....  :evilone:

mild mods (CAI and exhaust and even a throttlebody) is very difficult to deny a claim on. ECU tune etc much easier

Besides, removing the CAI before visiting the dealer is only a 30min job, well worth spending that time to prevent any discussions even.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:43:00 pm by Sharkierulz »

Offline Spike-S550

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Mike
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 06:59:51 pm »
Fitted it to mine w/o the tune and yes in my opinion it does improve performance. Once the warranty is out will remove the restrictor and get a tune which should release its true potential! 

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 04:29:45 pm »
Well, a CAI that adds 22HP (Steeda claim 22rwhp) is about 5%, probably not enough to feel but enough to hear - maybe not worth the money if it's going to be a stand-alone modification.

Unless it's part of a 'system' of modifications - CAI, cat-back exhaust, tune etc - (and you would want to check if it's suitable for use with a blower if you decide to go that path one day) the CAI alone MIGHT be worth 22rwhp, but if you do this PLUS a cat-back, and a tune then it will probably give you a cumulative effect and get you towards the 60-80 rwhp mark - and you WILL feel that..

Also worth remembering, the gain is only likely to be felt at the very top-end of your rev-range, or at the most in the last 25% of the rev-range, so how often are you going to take it up there? 
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 08:24:08 am »
Also worth remembering, the gain is only likely to be felt at the very top-end of your rev-range, or at the most in the last 25% of the rev-range, so how often are you going to take it up there?

That's a really good point I had never thought of - as someone who rarely gets it past 5,000 rpm, I wonder if a CAI, Cat-back and Tune will make any difference given the way I drive 99% of the time?

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 08:50:42 am »
Actually, no. The benefits of a good CAI is across the entire rev range. Most is apparent at the top, yes, but there is a benefit even at lower revs.

I'm fitting this to mine. No tune and see the gains (claimed).

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-2590_dyno.pdf

Offline davidald

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 11:40:35 pm »
If you fit any part that increases the power produced by the engine then you are increasing the load/strain on the drivetrain including engine components. If a CAI can be proven to increase power from stock then you can expect failures in the drivetrain (unlikely) to not be covered. Many tuners are now offering warranties for this reason. Why should the manufacturer cover power mods? Mods can make 20HP increases to 500HP. What should be the manufacturers cut off?