Relocating battery in boot - over diff hump

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Relocating battery in boot - over diff hump  (Read 2803 times)

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Zlat
Relocating battery in boot - over diff hump
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:46:48 pm »
Am in the process of relocating the battery in the boot and wanted to see if people have mounted a battery tray or box over the diff hump behind the rear seat backrest and how they secured it? Pics would be great if possible

cheers.

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: Relocating battery and starter solonoid in boot
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:07:13 pm »
For those who have mounted the starter solonoid in boot area, what size cable are you running from positive terminal to alternator? This will be fused with a circuit breaker.

I have run a 0 gauge for starter motor.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: Relocating battery in boot - over diff hump
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 07:56:21 am »
Mate, if I were you I'd either leave the starter solenoid in the engine bay, or use a mini starter with the solenoid on it.
Then just fuse the 0 gauge wire at the battery. No point putting the solenoid in the boot.
Keeps your wiring a lot simpler and saves you running extra power cable for no reason, plus extending the starter wire.

I'm using an automotive 200amp mega fuse from Jaycar to fuse the power cable at the battery. Similar to what some factory cars use. If you manage to blow these things starting the car, you should take it out of gear  :grin:

Offline zlat347ci

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 09:03:46 am »
i have it under the fender at the moment however dont want to run a constant hot 0 gauge cable for the length of the car. i have attempted a 200amp circuit breaker however keeps tripping on cold lengthy starts. A little harder to start now with high comp motor and dual carbs.

ive got a optima battery 845cca.

is your solenoid up front and you have your positive wire to starter solenoid fused? or you have a mini starter?   

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:25:13 am »
That's why I said to fuse it. Circuit breaker  is no good as it will trip at 200amps. The 200 or 250 amp mega fuses are automotive rated slow blow fuses. They will handle a high amount of amps for a short amount of time before they go. A short will blow them right away. I have a starter mounted solenoid and the fused cable goes straight to this. The alternator and main loom power also go to the starter, however they are both fused with fusible links.