2016/17 Mustang GT - Upgrade

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 2016/17 Mustang GT - Upgrade  (Read 7899 times)

Offline Lev

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Lev
2016/17 Mustang GT - Upgrade
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:06:01 pm »
Hi, first time on the forum and expecting delivery in 3 weeks (FINALLY)😀.

Looking at upgrading to achieve aggressive muscle sound and additional 70kW to 100kW.
power.

At this stage not interested in the super charge options as I can't justify paying $20k plus.

Options considering:

Harrop stage 2, 370kW
https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/harrop-stage-2-370kw?search=Mustang

Streetfighter, 396kW
http://streetfighter.net.au/mustang/products-upgrades/mustang-2016-gt-v8/power-packages/

www.mustangmotorsport.com.au and www.herrodperformance.com.au also do something similliar.

My question is - has anyone upgraded using the above or something similar and what are your thoughts? I want to find the best value option.

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
Re: 2016/17 Mustang GT - Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:47:42 am »
Hi, first time on the forum and expecting delivery in 3 weeks (FINALLY)😀.

Looking at upgrading to achieve aggressive muscle sound and additional 70kW to 100kW.
power.

Congrats. You will love it I am sure.

For sound, I have had a Borla S-Type 3 inch Cat-back installed on my GT ragtop, and the sound is fantastic. I got it via http://www.bestexhaust.com.au/ -they were great to deal with.

As for the other go fast options, my understanding is that any messing with the cars software will void the warranty on the entire engine / drivetrain. Which is why I am waiting another 30 months to get a 'stage two' upgrade done.

I have been told the supercharger is by far the best bang for your buck bit of go fast gear money can buy, but the sound just isn't my cup of tea - and besides, there is not a snowflakes chance in hell I will use the 300-ish kw's the thing comes with, let alone the extra 100 or so a supercharger will deliver.

Offline Lev

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:12:39 pm »
Hi Jason
Thanks for the reply!
The companies that do the upgrades offer a warranty with the work, are you saying that doing the stage two upgrade and the supercharge void your ford warranty?
Are you waiting 30 months so your car is out of warranty? Who will you get to do the job?
Thanks for the tip on the Borla exhaust.
Cheers

Offline JasonK

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:38:04 pm »
Hi Jason
Thanks for the reply!
The companies that do the upgrades offer a warranty with the work, are you saying that doing the stage two upgrade and the supercharge void your ford warranty?

Sorry, yes. Thats what I meant to say. I was told by the warranty manager at my ford dealer any messing with the software and the warranty is void for a lot of the car. I think the supercharger would void it as well. They explained to me the reason a 'tune' voids the warranty is that is makes the engine operate at levels it was not supposed to (for warranty purposes).

Are you waiting 30 months so your car is out of warranty? Who will you get to do the job?

Yeah. I think you are right about the after market offers including their own warranty, but for me personally it's just easier to stick with the manufacturers warranty. And then go to stage 2.

Not sure about who to use yet. By that time I will have put the an aftermarket air intake in. The exhaust is already done, so it is just a tune at that point. My preference is for someone local - and given Euro Haus (through Best Exhausts) did a great job on the exhaust I would be tempted to see if they could do it. But that is a long way away yet.

Thanks for the tip on the Borla exhaust.
Cheers

Everyone here seems to be tremendously helpful, so it is my pleasure to be able to talk up a forum sponsor. Be warned though, the S-type is pretty loud.

Offline Lev

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 10:49:11 pm »
I would really appreciate if anyone has any thoughts on either of the upgrade options offered from the companies in my email below. Thanks!

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 11:12:48 pm »
Lev, before you leap into upgrades, use your car without doing too much for the first 3 months and then see how you feel. Very easy to get caught up with heaps of mods at the first opportunity.

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 04:20:13 pm »
My understanding is that a good cat back exhaust, CAI and throttle-body upgrades will net you around 35kw/70NM extra without a tune. With a tune on top of that you would be looking at about 60kw extra above stock all up.

Since my GT will be on a lease, I'll leave the tune till after the warranty expires (which is a 1st for me, all my W/Audis got tuned within a month) and just live with the extra 35kw.

Already have these waiting in my garage for the GT to arrive in April. Thanks to Black Friday sales at CJPony  :grin:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/mbrp-cat-back-exhaust-system-race-3-stainless-steel-xp-series-fastback-gt-2015-2017/p/CBP34/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/bbk-cold-air-intake-kit-power-plus-blackout-gt-2015-2017/p/CAK176/

http://www.cjponyparts.com/bbk-throttle-body-power-plus-85mm-gt-2015-2017/p/TB114/

Got a GT350 gear lever knob (with red trim) to tart up the interior too!

Offline Lev

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 08:20:12 am »
What are the chances???

I've been tracking the Vessel containing the delivery of my Pony on Marine Trafffic and it is arriving today to Melbourne shores on the same day as my BIRTHDAY. 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Best Birthday Present Ever. 🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:40:55 am »
Tickford just released a base upgrade package. 360kw/585NM, intake, exhaust and tune.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/tickfordtuned-ford-mustang-revealed-20170123-gtxfu4.html

Figures are almost spot on with my previous post :)

Offline JasonK

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 09:33:52 am »
Tickford just released a base upgrade package. 360kw/585NM, intake, exhaust and tune.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/tickfordtuned-ford-mustang-revealed-20170123-gtxfu4.html

Figures are almost spot on with my previous post :)

I looked at this over the weekend, and was really tempted. The one glitch is that they do not seem to have a 'Sydney Solution' as far as I could tell. And whilst I could drive the thing to sunny Melbourne to get the work done, I am not sure I am that keen just yet.

Offline muzzza

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Murray
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 10:27:17 pm »
I had a Harrop supercharger kit fitted a week ago at "RealDyno Performance" Kippa Ring.  Engine now produces 509hp ( 380 kW ) at the wheels, which is OK...........750 Nm of torque at 2000 rpm and a massive 940Nm of torque at 5000 rpm. Stock exhaust( which will remain )  is probably what influences the moderate hp numbers and high torque.
Aceleration is brisk to say the least !! On the road, you can only but the power down effectively beyond third gear.  Driveability is unchanged - car is still quite happy to chug along in sixth gear at 60k's.  Can not believe the punch from 5 litres !!  Amazing.
No other mods planned at this stage - will just drive with a lot of mechanical sympathy !! Muz
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:33:29 pm by muzzza »

Offline JasonK

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 10:15:14 am »

Aceleration is brisk to say the least !! On the road, you can only but the power down effectively beyond third gear.  Driveability is unchanged - car is still quite happy to chug along in sixth gear at 60k's. 

For those that know nothing about this (me) - how does that work exactly? Are gears 1-3 virtually obsolete? Or does that mean you can use them, but have to be delicate with the throttle? And does that make it a pain to drive?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 10:26:33 am »
 :grin: you still use all gears but if you mash the pedal you mush the tyres     :burnout: :lmao: .the car will drive just like a std mustang until you hit the loud pedal  :burnout:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:59:44 am by GLENN 70 »