2015 Mustang GT Auto Transmission problem – bunny hopping/ jerking/ clutch slip

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 2015 Mustang GT Auto Transmission problem – bunny hopping/ jerking/ clutch slip  (Read 6545 times)

Offline singo

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
My Mustang (2015 Launch edition, Auto, GT 5.0V8) has had this problem since new.

Watch the video of the problem here: https://youtu.be/x1CeUfy479c

(Each time in the video that the car is bunny hopping, I am pressing the pedal smoothly. Apologies for the low-quality vid!)

The problem is worse in Sport mode and when using the paddle-shifters. However, it can occur in full-auto (non-paddle shift) and in normal (non-sport) modes.

When accelerating moderately hard in 1st and 2nd, the car sometimes bunny-hops like a pimply teenager is driving, until I back off the revs. The problem occurs mostly after slowing down and downshifting, then accelerating. Eg: When slowing down at a roundabout, stop sign, or speed bump, the car downshifts, as normal, but when accelerating, it sometimes starts bunny-hopping. It can also happen from a standing start.

After a bit of spirited driving like this, when I stop, the car smells very strongly like burnt clutch (It is an auto).

I’ve taken it to my Ford dealer twice. I’ve had the Ford mechanic sit with me and he agrees there is a problem. The service manager agrees the problem is occurring, but says that is how the car is and there is nothing he can do about it. He says he’s tried driving an identical car and it had the same problem. I’m waiting for Ford HQ Technical Help to call me back to discuss.

I’ve searched the forums here and OS, but can’t find any other reports of this issue.

So… Does anyone else have the same problem? Or is it just my car? Any suggestions?

Cheers

Offline noblg

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
Singo,
I have a 2016 5L auto, and does NOT do that, nor does any other I know. If the dealer believes ALL mustangs do that, assure him they don't and ask to go for a drive in one of his from the dealership to prove his point.....

Offline singo

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Thanks noblg

It's the Service Manager who's telling me they're all like that.

I've seen the Sales guy I bought it from (same dealership) - He's happy for me to drive their demo for comparison, but it's out at the moment - will try next week.

It only happens intermittently - had to drive around a bit to catch those 2 instances on video. But it's bad enough to make it impossible to drive hard. Pretty embarrassing when a simple drag at the lights makes you look like an L-plater taking his first drive in a manual...

Also pretty disappointing when the service manager agrees your car has a problem, then shrugs his shoulders and hands back the keys

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
I've also got a 2016 auto 5L and mine does not do that either

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
To me that's not a transmission problem . I would be going to another ford dealership also ,then showing the service manager that clip you have ,then taking him for a drive till it does it . It has to be fixed now before it causes other problems . If they can't help tell them to contact Ford and tell them you will put it on the net and u tube .
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:17:33 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline singo

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Great - thanks guys. Just needed to confirm they're not all like this. Will update once its sorted.

While I'm here, my car's interior smells strongly like someone's spilled a full can of paint-stripper in it. Was hoping it would have gone away by now, but its still pretty stinky and a bit nausea-inducing. It's a dirt-cheap Ford, so I don't want to sound like a whinger and wasn't expecting Porsche-quality leather, but is this just my car or does everyone's smell like this?

Cheers

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
I never noticed anything other than new car smell when I picked it up. I then had the leather treated and interior done at the time when I had the car opticoated after which it smelled really good.

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
No odour issues with mine either. Just that lovely new car smell and the scent of leather.  :thumb:
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Another guy I here had the same problem with his .
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:38:16 am by GLENN 70 »

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
My Mustang (2015 Launch edition, Auto, GT 5.0V8) has had this problem since new.

I’ve searched the forums here and OS, but can’t find any other reports of this issue.

So… Does anyone else have the same problem? Or is it just my car? Any suggestions?

Cheers

Yep, I have a 2015 GT Auto and it does very much the same thing. On mine it is an intermittent issue.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Jason K have you had yours fixed yet ? . I wonder if it's the lock up converter not unlocking ? Ford has to fix this problem . Both of you guys have to get together on this and you won't be the only ones with this problem ,it's just that you are on here .

Offline singo

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
OK, so it's not just my driving ability... Jason K - my fault is logged with Ford HQ. The case manager is Susan, but I haven't heard from her yet. I called 13 FORD (13 3673) and emailed foacust1@ford.com to get a reference number. I'll send you my ref number if you want to ask Susan to sort out yours at the same time.

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
OK, so it's not just my driving ability... Jason K - my fault is logged with Ford HQ. The case manager is Susan, but I haven't heard from her yet. I called 13 FORD (13 3673) and emailed foacust1@ford.com to get a reference number. I'll send you my ref number if you want to ask Susan to sort out yours at the same time.

I will do that early in the new year. Mine is due for its 15k service soon at any rate, and I will try and film the jerky acceleration beforehand.

Offline Cadd

• Thoroughbred
  • 06 GT - 71 Mach 1 - 88 Foxbody GT - 17 Ecoboost
  • Name: Chris
  • Car: 71 Mach 1 + 06 GT
Interesting...My wife's  2012 focus has had This same problem for years ford know but refuse to repair it as they are now under a class action for it.Funny thing is exactly the same as the stang and its from leaking seals into the gearbox causing small amounts of fluid on the clutches .more you use the more it burns off and behaves but eventually scores the clutches..been back 10 to 12 times in 3 years same old excuses

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
That's good to know in case it starts playing up