Registration plate bracket / mounts

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Registration plate bracket / mounts  (Read 5979 times)

Offline muzzza

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Murray
Registration plate bracket / mounts
« on: November 16, 2016, 05:23:24 pm »
My rego plates were fixed by the dealership with "Kingpin" bracket at the rear. Up front, the plates have been curved a little and fixed with double sided tape.
( not brilliant in the Queensland sun ) Not that happy with the way it looks.
Would appreciate any info on how others have mounted their plates.  Apologies if this has been the subject of another thread.    Muz

Offline muzzza

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
Re: Registration plate bracket / mounts
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:09:04 am »
I drilled new holes in the Qld plates to suit the US plate hole set-out.
On the rear I bolted the plate in the factory location with stainless steel bolts with acorn nuts.
Ditto on the front but there I added stainless steel spacers so the plate was pushed forward enough to clear the bodywork either side - I hate the way people often put a curve or bends in the front plate just so it bolts up easily, looks terrible.

Was thinking along similar lines for font number plate.............Could not agree with you more .......curved / bent number plates look pretty average !!   Muz

Offline muzzza

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:23:01 pm »
Thanks Mate............That bracket looks fine.   Muz

Offline Red67Coupe

• Thoroughbred
  • Restored
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 10:01:26 am »
When I got my Stang the plates had one new hole drilled and they'd used one existing hole so both plates were off to one side and the front one curved to fit.  :ouch: Really annoyed me.  When I got personalised Qld plates I didn't want extra holes or bend the front so I bought a bit of aluminium chanel about 20mm from Bunnings for the front. Turn the chanel upside down, drill through both sides for the car mounting holes (the front hole bigger than the back to fit the screw/bolt head through) then 2 holes to mount the number plate. I used ss Allen head bolts. The chanel being open on the bottom side lets you get a spanner to the nut for the plate. For the rear I used a thin bit of flat steel about 25mm wide and only 1or2mm thick to make a bracket that lines up the body holes then 2 holes to line up the plate. I had to step up the bracket away from the body for the plate holes so I could fit nuts behind. Was fiddly but I like the end result. I just like making stuff.  :grin:

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 12:25:07 pm »
I used the Lakin brackets which are perfectly fitted to your plates and to the car.

Offline Jors

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Jori
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 03:29:12 pm »
I have purchase a stow and show plate holder for the front of my Mustang that is due to be delivered to me this month. The bracket is fantastic quality. Was about $75 USD from CJ Pony parts. Delivery was long, about 4 weeks but I did choose the cheapest shipment.

Offline STEEL PONY

• Pony
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 02:26:20 pm »
Does anyone know if adhesive registration plates are legal in Australia
I know they are used on most cars in the UK
It would save drilling and using all those ugly plate holders and brackets
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:27:01 pm by Steel pony »
Cheers
AYJAY