Lap Seat Belts in Qld

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Lap Seat Belts in Qld  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
Lap Seat Belts in Qld
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:21:37 pm »
Can any Qld Members tell me if it is possible to register a 1966 Mustang Hardtop (left hand drive) in Qld with the lap seat belts. I have heard of LO2 Compliancing with ADR but don't fully understand the requirements? thanks, Stuart

Offline FMACHI

• Stallion
Lap Seat Belts in Qld
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 09:24:41 pm »
Not sure what you mean by LO2. Vicroads and my engineer have made me install a three point seat belt on the front seats of my 69. This is and ADR regulation affecting all passenger vehicles built after 1st of January, 1969. It's an Australia wide regulatuion. Prior to 1969, there were no seat belt regulations.
Your car should pass as long as it is road worthy.
Why be standard, when custom is so much more fun!!!

Offline dazza

• Pony
Lap Seat Belts in Qld
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 05:03:13 pm »
:]

LO2 is for the code for a pre 1972 imported satety compliance in QLD, theres heaps of these different mod codes for different modifications.

You only need LO2 if your car is imported, i.e. doesn't have an australian compliance plate for QLD rego, makes no difference if its club reg etc and is seperate to a saftey certificate. If your car already has a AUSTRALIAN compliance plate you don't need this and the lap belts can remain.

Several things need to be changed to meet the applicable ADR's for LO2 such as the following:

Front seatbelts to be 3 point retractable
Rear seatbelts (outside) to be 3 point lap/sash
Child retraint points to every rear seating position
Change headlights to dip to correct side
Change front & rear indicators to comply (check what the engineer wants)
Rear reflectors

The seatbelts will require new plates & welding, best bet is to work with an engineer who will certify LO2 and discuss what you have from the start to get it right, I know a guy in Ormeau who is good if this is close to you.

Left hand drive is no prob for 30+ year cars just a few basic items like side mirrors to both sides.

Hope this helps.

PS I know all this cause I just had my LO2 insp today & passed :+ WOOHOOO!

Dazza

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
Lap Seat Belts in Qld
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 12:32:48 pm »
Many thanks, it is imported and doesn't have the Australian compliance plate so now I need to get busy. I am in Cairns and I will ask around for someone local who has Mustang LO2 certification experience, cheers,

Stuart

Offline dazza

• Pony
Lap Seat Belts in Qld
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 09:15:40 am »
If your ring your local department of transport office they will give you a list of engineers in your area.

Dazza