Wilwood Brake Upgrade

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Wilwood Brake Upgrade  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Shep69

• Worked
Wilwood Brake Upgrade
« on: August 04, 2016, 06:31:27 pm »
 Im looking at upgrading my stock power disc brakes on my 69 to a set of wilwood units. WILWOOD BRAKE DISC AND CALIPER 140-13476    . Just wondering if anyone are using these and are they much better than the standard power discs that im running.

Wilwood 140-13476 Mustang Disc Brake Dynalite V8 65-66/67-69

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Re: Wilwood Brake Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 07:40:30 pm »
Check with your engineer, I hear there is some issues with RMS.
luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:09:41 pm »
Yes, i have Wilwood all round and never had an issue.

I also use EBC Yellow Stuff pads which makes a massive difference again.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:11:52 pm by Fitzy1980 »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:10:15 pm »
I wouldn't spend the money on that wilwood kit. The rotors are 23.8mm thick, which is thin, and only 285mm rotors. Standard falcon discs are 28mm x 298mm, which you can get in a kit locally for cheaper. You'd be better of reconditioning your current kit in my opinion than buying those, or go for a better wilwood kit. The biggest difference you'll notice on the street anyway is a good set of pads, often overlooked.
And as mentioned above wilwood have always had an issue with engineers due to their luck of dust seals.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 09:47:57 pm »
No they make them with dust seals now, they make 2 sizes one fits in 14" wheel could be these, and the next size needs a 15" The Trans-am cars use a set of Willwoods that fit in a 15"  but not sure of the part number

Looks like 320mm fitts in a 15"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:51:05 pm by shaunp »

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 12:13:58 am »
I wouldn't spend the money on that wilwood kit. The rotors are 23.8mm thick, which is thin, and only 285mm rotors. Standard falcon discs are 28mm x 298mm, which you can get in a kit locally for cheaper. You'd be better of reconditioning your current kit in my opinion than buying those, or go for a better wilwood kit. The biggest difference you'll notice on the street anyway is a good set of pads, often overlooked.
And as mentioned above wilwood have always had an issue with engineers due to their luck of dust seals.
Yes Husky they are the small rotors as you said. What local kit do you recommend . I have 15 in rims.
Cheers Mark.

Offline BlackNotchBack

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Justin
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 07:48:53 am »
I've been looking at upgrading to the kit shaunp posted above. Ideally I'd like to go with the Trans-am/Lincoln setup but my pockets aren't that deep. Anyone have any other recommendations under $1500?

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 08:42:23 am »
Yes Husky they are the small rotors as you said. What local kit do you recommend . I have 15 in rims.
Cheers Mark.

I'm using a UPC kit which are twin piston PBR calipers and 298x28 DBA rotors. My original KH setup had to be rebuilt, so I thought I'd go with these instead and see how they go. If they were good enough for a VE SS then a car 500kg lighter should be no problem.

In saying that, this is a street kit. If i was going to do any sort of track work I would go with this setup if I wanted to run smaller wheels http://www.streetortrack.com/street-or-track-12-trans-am-front-disk-brake-kit-pr-24455.html.
If I was going track it and run bigger wheels they I would get some adaptors made up for some brembos like a mate just did for his 69 at Racebrakes.

What do you actually want from your brakes? What is the problem at the moment. A good condition KH setup with GOOD pads and discs should be a good street setup.

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 08:49:46 am »
I'm using a UPC kit which are twin piston PBR calipers and 298x28 DBA rotors. My original KH setup had to be rebuilt, so I thought I'd go with these instead and see how they go. If they were good enough for a VE SS then a car 500kg lighter should be no problem.

In saying that, this is a street kit. If i was going to do any sort of track work I would go with this setup if I wanted to run smaller wheels http://www.streetortrack.com/street-or-track-12-trans-am-front-disk-brake-kit-pr-24455.html.
If I was going track it and run bigger wheels they I would get some adaptors made up for some brembos like a mate just did for his 69 at Racebrakes.

What do you actually want from your brakes? What is the problem at the moment. A good condition KH setup with GOOD pads and discs should be a good street setup.
My car won't be used on the track. Just a street cruiser . Just not that happy with the stopping performance of the stock discs. Like BlackNotchBack says our pockets aren't that deep. I was looking for something under $1500.
Also wanted to use the standard vacuum and master if possible.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:55:45 am by Shep69 »

Offline BlackNotchBack

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Justin
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 09:03:39 am »
Maybe it's worth having your rotors machined, install a pad like a Porterfield R4-S and bleed the system with a good quality fluid. The original KH discs should be fine for the street.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 09:11:24 am »
Does your original brake system have a problem ? . All I have done in the past is fit XF falcon calipers (new)  then machine the rotors and a set of good brake pads ,job done .  If your calipers are in good condition and the rotors are very good just try a good set of pads . I use QFM pads but up in there range .  Make sure your rear brake shoes are good and adjusted and the drums are in good condition .

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 09:17:57 am »
Does your original brake system have a problem ? . All I have done in the past is fit XF falcon calipers (new)  then machine the rotors and a set of good brake pads ,job done .  If your calipers are in good condition and the rotors are very good just try a good set of pads . I use QFM pads but up in there range .  Make sure your rear brake shoes are good and adjusted and the drums are in good condition .
Glenn I'm not sure if they have a problem without driving another mustang to compare. They won't lock up if I punch them hard. Replaced most parts except the front calipers and rotors. Will XF calipers bolt straight on to my original setup? Are XF calipers any better than originals. I would have thought the wilwood units would be better than the standard.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:03:16 pm by Shep69 »