1968 coupe full restoration

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1968 coupe full restoration  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Pete68

• P Plates
  • Name: Peter Davies
1968 coupe full restoration
« on: July 20, 2016, 10:58:30 am »
Hi Guys

I have just joined the forum and I have just committed to buy a 1968 coupe that is a rolling shell with lots of boxes of bits. I have been researching this project for a couple of years now and I am looking to do a resto mod to suit my tastes hence the purchase of this project car.

One of the main things to decide on is the contentious issue of right hand drive conversion. I am using the car for a daily driver (why would you have it in the shed under a shower cap?) so I am going to do the conversion, it is just a matter of how.

I have researched three options:
1/ Use the Dynacorn panel set.
2/ Modify the existing panels
3/ Do a combination of the two, i.e. mod the original upper and lower cowls and use the dash, inner fender and firewall from Dynacorn

The question that I have is does anyone know of anyone who has used a Melbourne based professional converter who I could run these ideas across. I intend to do most of the work myself (remove and install panels) but if I go ahead with the original panel modification I would very much like for an experienced professional to modify the panels prior to me refitting them.

looking for ward to your good ideas

Thanks

Pete68

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
Re: 1968 coupe full restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 11:43:33 am »
Pete, Welcome..especially to another '68 owner. It depends on how you want the firewall to look. If you don't care about mirror image contours or a RHD concourse look, then use the Dynacorn firewall, as I believe they are actually flat. That would simplify the process immensely. Stick up some photos please.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: 1968 coupe full restoration
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 11:44:22 am »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase.

There's a few guys on the forum that have done the conversion themselves.  Probably worth doing some searches on here and then giving the guys a call to discuss their conversion.

Make sure you take lots of photo's along the way and post them up on a build thread so others can learn too.