VASS in Victoria

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: VASS in Victoria  (Read 5866 times)

Offline pumped

• Stallion
    • www.leapoffaith.com.au
  • Name: Tony.
VASS in Victoria
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:28:43 pm »
Hi Guys,

Have finally got my 69 Mach 1 through customs and it is now sitting at the mechanics getting a RWC. I have just been informed by Vicroads that 69 models onwards need a VASS approval certificate. Has anyone else with a 69/70/71 ect had to get one of these? If so is it a lengthy process?

Best Wishes Tony.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
VASS in Victoria
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:37:39 pm »
My brother had to do it with his 73 Pantera.

Basicly, it needs and engineers report, to say that it complies with all the ADR's applicable in 1969.
His engineer handled all of the paperwork, the VASS, Engineers Report, and the RWC.
He dropped the car off, got the report, took the car back and fixed it all, then took it back for the final inspection.
In his case (1973 car) it needed headlights (so will yours) Seat Belts (so will yours) and brake hoses (maybe yours will?) and whatever else they pick. The Pantera seats are velcro'ed in, and the wipers are very small, they both had to be modified to comply, longer wipers and arms, and the seats bolted in.

It was done by Archie Robinson in Bayswater
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
VASS in Victoria
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:26:23 pm »
pumped..  were you planning on full rego..or getting club rego where all of that isn't required?

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
VASS in Victoria
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 02:15:55 pm »
Pumped.

I had to get one for my 70 Fastback. It cost $700, but yours should be cheaper as my car had the RRS coilover front end which required some extra as the engineer had to ensure it complied with all the relevant ADRs. As BLKPNY says, you will probably need lights and seat belts. My rear brakes were locking up, so I had to fit a proportioning valve to avoid lockup as it was failing the brake test.

Hope to see your car one day.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline pumped

• Stallion
    • www.leapoffaith.com.au
VASS in Victoria
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:44:11 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I have decided to register it full until the legislation for 80 or 90 days a year driving comes in. Will not do heaps of driving but more than just taking it to club events.

It is pretty much original so all things going well should just need the belts and headlights. Spoke to a guy who said you can get the belts from Repco. I would imagine that I have to get all 4. The guy I spoke to does the test and report for about 300-400. Getting the RWC and work done seperately.

Also seemed to get a few scrapes on the trip over. Need to get new Mach 1 stripes. Can anyone suggest a good parts supplier in Melbourne.

Best Wishes Tony.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
VASS in Victoria
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:27:09 pm »
Tony...how about a pic of your baby..

Offline pumped

• Stallion
    • www.leapoffaith.com.au
VASS in Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 07:24:48 pm »
Hi Mac1,

Happy to get pics through to you once I have her back. Have some pics from the guy who sourced it in the States. However I am a professional photographer and am so passionate about shapes and curves that I would like to wait to do my own pics before posting. Think I will be able to get some pretty amazing pics with all the Mach1's design beauty. Is it easy to upload pics on this site?

Best Wishes Tony.