"Change oil soon" warning

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: "Change oil soon" warning  (Read 12857 times)

Offline djneli

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Neil
"Change oil soon" warning
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:51:11 am »
I've just ticked over the 5,286km mark since my 16th Jan collection of the (GT manual Fastback) car. This morning when I fired her up I got an immediate "Change oil soon" warning pop up. I've heard the car comes with an "intelligent" oil life system that doesn't use sensors but instead calculations that are run on the computer. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had this pop up yet? I've spoken to my dealer and he reckons there is a way to clear the code, he's just as surprised as me it has come up after so little mileage (and not it isn't a track day car and neither does it get driven hard apart from every now and then).
2015 Mustang GT - Race Red

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
Re: "Change oil soon" warning
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 12:07:05 pm »
I have put a little over 6000 on the clock since April 9 delivery of my GT and haven't seen an oil warning of any description yet. And I hope posting this doesn't jinx me!!

Offline austang

• 2015 Mustang GT Fastback
  • Stallion
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:38:32 pm »
I've just ticked over the 5,286km mark since my 16th Jan collection of the (GT manual Fastback) car. This morning when I fired her up I got an immediate "Change oil soon" warning pop up.

You're not alone Neil.  I picked my GT up on 5th January and have only done 3,200km.  They haven't been hard miles either but this morning I got the "Change oil soon" warning.  Seems a bit excessive.

Offline djneli

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 03:39:46 pm »
You're not alone Neil.  I picked my GT up on 5th January and have only done 3,200km.  They haven't been hard miles either but this morning I got the "Change oil soon" warning.  Seems a bit excessive.
My dealer told me to just reset the code in the settings menu but I'm a little hesitant to do that - mind you I don't particularly want to have to change the oil every six months either as that is an added cost I'd rather not have. This morning the computer is reading oil @ 5% life

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 09:57:30 am »
Have you guys checked it old-school? What's the level like? What's the cleanliness like? Without that prompt, would you worry based on the visual inspections above?
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline djneli

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 02:26:49 pm »
Have you guys checked it old-school? What's the level like? What's the cleanliness like? Without that prompt, would you worry based on the visual inspections above?

It looks OK to me, but on Wednesday the service manager from my dealership is taking a look and he can make the call. That way if I reset the counter and go about my business till the first service is due and I have an issue I will have recourse =)

Offline djneli

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 10:23:22 pm »
So a lot of the Ford vehicles have the "smart oil monitoring" system - however most of them are pretty casual about it in their manuals. The mustang however is very explicit in the warning and what causes it. There are two pages dedicated to this in the service part (which I must admit I hadn't read). After careful consideration with my dealer I decided to give them the go ahead to do the first service on the car. Upside here is that the Ford fixed price serve for the 12 month on a Mustang is $450 and it only cost me half that. Peace of mind and the fact that really the car was built in October last year so was coming up on 12 months oil anyway.and instead of a NY service Iv now kicked the sequence out of whack :)

The other challenge is that the oil cap states 5-W20 on it but the manual and all Ford bulletins state 5-W30... Oh and the oil filter is hidden and the shroud is a bit of a menace in terms of catching oil to drop on e floor during changing.

All up, I am not even phased I just did a 12 month service at 6.5 months lol :)

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 06:41:36 pm »
Mine came on after 5,800 ks. (7 months old) U can reset it yourself. Go in to the vehicle settings on the menu, you can reset it there. Mine said I had 5% oil life left. Took it to Ford who assured me it was fine. I took his name and made a note - just in case.
IMG

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 07:42:02 am »
$450 for an oil change?...... :omg:
I may have to pack up and move my workshop to Qld...... :leaving:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 08:46:17 am »
$450 ,gee I hope that includes the oil filter  :grin:

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 10:07:45 pm »
...... Peace of mind and the fact that really the car was built in October last year so was coming up on 12 months oil anyway.and instead ....
mine also 3,200km but built in Oct 2015, now the warning.
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 11:07:50 am »
Im curious, for those that had the warning light come on, did you get your first free service at 3000kms, most cars are at 1000kms, but the Mustang first run in service is at 3000kms, where an oil change is done for free?

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 09:51:27 pm »
It's based on time vs mileage, which ever comes first, bloody smart computers!
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline austang

• 2015 Mustang GT Fastback
  • Stallion
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 01:39:38 pm »
... but the Mustang first run in service is at 3000kms, where an oil change is done for free?

I don't think they change the oil at the first 3000km service, therefore they don't reset the oil life warning.  I researched how it is calculated at the time and the oil life is supposed to be a combination of time, miles and type of driving.  eg. lots of idling in traffic.  I think it is over sensitive.  In my case it came on after 3200km and about 6 months after delivery, or 9 months after build.  When I checked the oil, it was clear and looked like new.

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 01:58:34 pm »
Not quite Mustang but just for some info,
It will be the similar to the algorithm used in the LS engines in commodores.
If you access the engineering mode in a commodore dash it is in there.
It is based on time, warm up cycles and durations, distance, all sorts of inputs.
I have a VE SS and if I take it to the Holiday house the oil life extends due to the long hot run and boil off of dilutions.
I have found it to be fairly accurate based on visual oil condition.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"