Jerky Acceleration

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Jerky Acceleration  (Read 4857 times)

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
Jerky Acceleration
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:09:08 am »
Just wondering if it is me or something I am doing wrong, or something I need to have Ford look at.....

I have a 2015 GT convertible - auto.

In Sport Mode - mainly in 1st gear, but sometimes in 2nd gear as well, if I accelerate quite sharply to say 30k's and then level off without changing up to the next gear - the car will start to, hard to describe, but bunny hop like a 15 year old having their first go at a manual. When I keep accelerating through to the next gear change it seems okay, and in auto mode, doesn't seem to be an evident either.

Any ideas other than me booking into Driving School again?

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Jerky Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:45:36 pm »
Sounds like it can't quite make up it's mind up what gear it wants to be in when you suddenly back off. It's got it into its mind you are off for a for a bit of fun and then it takes a while to realise you've changed your mind. I would have said most autos display this phenomenon to varying extents when you stick your foot in and then back off before its in top gear. 

Offline JasonK

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 02:11:22 pm »
Sounds like it can't quite make up it's mind up what gear it wants to be in when you suddenly back off. It's got it into its mind you are off for a for a bit of fun and then it takes a while to realise you've changed your mind. I would have said most autos display this phenomenon to varying extents when you stick your foot in and then back off before its in top gear.

That may well be the case - although I have never experienced it before - also, this happens when you level off from a sharp acceleration. It also happens when you back off from a sharp acceleration. I don't know if the difference (backing off or levelling off) is important...

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 03:11:05 pm »
I've got the auto and I have been patiently waiting for my 1500 km to pass before I tried sports and paddle shifting. Now that the 1500 is up I'll have a go at both and let you know.

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 02:52:50 pm »
I tested the 5.0 today in sports mode - both activated from the gear shifter and through the toggle switch mode. Couldn't say that there was any jerkiness. In low gears definitely some hesitation while holding throttle as if it waits for you to sort yourself out - are you going, slowing or what? So maybe yours sounds a bit more than that.

By the by paddle shifting was great, the car was responsive, direct and steady around the winding slopes and the big brembos were terrific down Stanley River Road out of Maleny. A real treat.

Offline JasonK

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 07:51:26 am »
In low gears definitely some hesitation while holding throttle as if it waits for you to sort yourself out - are you going, slowing or what? So maybe yours sounds a bit more than that.

Going.....but mine is definitely doing more than that. I haven't been able to find any chatter about it on the net, nor here, so I am left with it being my driving or something fairly unusual, and will talk to the dealer about it again when the next service it due.

By the by paddle shifting was great, the car was responsive, direct and steady around the winding slopes and the big brembos were terrific down Stanley River Road out of Maleny. A real treat.

Yeah, it is a helluva lot of fun. I don't think I have ever driven a car that is as much fun to drive.

Offline Namda

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Adam
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 02:50:28 pm »
Sorry to drag up an older post, but I found this in my friend's '16 auto vert as well.

The throttle becomes very touchy in first. feels like the throttle body is either wide open or almost completely closed when you're just resting your foot on the pedal.

I don't think it's a defect, but rather the way that the throttle behaves in sports mode; it doesn't want to be baby'd  :grin:

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 02:57:49 pm »

What a coincidence. I took my 68 Coupe Frankenstang for a run out there on Sunday and cleaned up a Red Belly Black snake as thick as your wrist. Felt like a speed bump at 110kmh.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline noblg

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 06:11:51 pm »
Took my 5L auto to the track, I drove it like it was my red, headed step child's car.
sports mode was great, nice changes. Race mode was waaaaaaaay better, the car drifted in a more controlled manner. Paddle shift was a slow ewes time but felt moe responsive, it was hard to change gears due to me being trained n pull, push technique so the paddles were not always were you want them to be....
The car was faster in race mode, but only by less than a second.... :burnout: