DO NOT TRUST the Tyre Sealant and inflator kit if you have the 2015/16 V8GT.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: DO NOT TRUST the Tyre Sealant and inflator kit if you have the 2015/16 V8GT.  (Read 17191 times)

Offline Medsy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: George
2016 Magnetic V8 GT manual. Built 29/Jan - Delivered 23/April. CityFord Rockdale.

I punctured the sidewall today on the front left and had to have my baby towed as no one had an equivalent tyre.
I know it was the sidewall and the sealant probably would not work but I just wanted to raise the front left enough to make it onto the table top tow truck without the front spolier scrapping.
Well I fitted the hose / valve connector of the Tyre Sealant and inflator kit onto the tyre valve nice and tight and turned it on and there was a leak between the valve connector and hose which spewed white sealant all over the wheel. Not very happy !

Managed to get the car on and off the table truck without incident.  The towey was really good. Used our Ford supplied NRMA service no worries.

Anyway off the Tempe tyres tomorrow to talk replacement tyre

and
- New spare
- jack
 - wheel brace

To think, these were once standard items in every new car.

Have a nice weekend.
Regards,
George.

Offline Medsy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Now having a scotch and contemplating what to do on a Sunday without my weekend ride.
The wife might want me to work around the house !

:nopity:

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
Sorry to hear that. That is why I bought a spare from Mustang Motorsport in Melbourne the same as what is on the car. Even though it will sit higher than the floor area by 85mm I will build it up with high density foam. I thought that a new standard black front wheel with the Pirelli tyre off of a new Mustang for $420 was a good deal.

Offline dingobreath

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Is the spare you bought the size of the front wheels or the back wheels since they are different widths. You would probably have to get 2 spares

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Just need the one spare that fits both ends ... enough to get you back home safely so you can get it repaired.

Offline Medsy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Yep, exactly what I am doing.
Getting an identical front wheel / tyre and sticking it in the boot.
Don't care about the extra height
The front should fit on the back no worries.
The only reason you cant use the space saver tyre that the Ecoboost has is it won't clear the GT Brembo brakes.

Offline Medsy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
There is another option I  was toying with.
I saw a youtube clip a few weeks ago of a guy that installed HUB extensions on his GT to move his wheels out by some 35 mm on each side to line up the wheels with the external guards. Bit over the top I would imagine as it changes the dynamics and alignment of the front.

But I was toying with maybe storing one "Hub extension" in the boot with the ecoboost space saver tyre as it would probably clear the calipers????? So you could limp home.

But I like the real spare option.

Regards,
George.

Offline Medsy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Sorry actually called "Wheel Spacers" and not "Hub Extensions".

Regards,
George.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
The entire wheel & tyre would have to protrude out past the plane of the calipers, and you then risk fouling the guards.

Offline cap70

• Worked
Gnome on 6g forum has already done the hard work and got a custom option from simmons for a spare total with tyre $650
about the 6th post down shows pictures and sizes
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41050&highlight=spare&page=5

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
Is the spare you bought the size of the front wheels or the back wheels since they are different widths. You would probably have to get 2 spares

The front is all you need and that is what I got

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
Gnome on 6g forum has already done the hard work and got a custom option from simmons for a spare total with tyre $650
about the 6th post down shows pictures and sizes
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41050&highlight=spare&page=5

Yes he has done a lot of work. I think the one that he ended up with still sticks up a bit in the boot but not by much. I also note his post that talks about potential insurance/warranty issues if something happens with one of those wheels fitted (which is probably unlikely anyway). I just decided to go with an original front one. The wheel I got was new as it was removed from a new Mustang that was undergoing a Shelby upgrade and $420 for the wheel including the new Pirelli on it was a good deal I thought.

Offline Medsy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
I called Mustang Motorsports Melbourne and they apparently have a huge waiting list for the front GT wheels.
I might look at the Simmons option above at Tempe.

As I stated the tyre inflation/repair kit hose was faulty as the sealant went everywhere. As soon as I got the car home I washed the wheel.

Lucky it happened at a family  luncheon where I could eat, drink and simply wait for the cover of darkness (couldn't have anyone snap a photo of my baby on a tow truck ! .... had to go incognito !)

Anyway thanks for all the good info.

George.

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
hi medsy
talk to sam at tempe tyres spare was $550 with bridgestone tyre out of stock on the wheels for 3 weeks it will get you home no worrys sits in great with the fg jack and foam holder I have a mat from cj pony over the top looks good little slope on the sides that's it
cheers tim
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline Medsy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Thanks Tim,

Spoke with Sam from Tempe Tyres today and looks like a 4 week wait now.

George.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
If in SA you can pickup an FG jack kit complete in the holder for $45 from Athol Park Ford Wreckers. 242 Grand Junction Road. I got one yesterday and am assuming they would have others.

Offline Medsy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
I ended up purchasing 4 new 2016 black wheels and tyres from QLD for $1500.00. They were swapped out for 20 inch rims.
Now I have a spare in the boot.

Offline austang

• 2015 Mustang GT Fastback
  • Stallion
I ended up purchasing 4 new 2016 black wheels and tyres from QLD for $1500.00. They were swapped out for 20 inch rims.
Good price.  How is the fit in the spare wheel well?

Offline Hak

• Worked
  • FORD
  • Name: Hakan
hold on a sec are you telling the mustang does not come with a spare?
71 Mach 1 Mustang PWETER 351 4V CLEVELAND NUMBER MATCHING
FGX XR8 SPRINT FOR SALE
FGX XR6 SPRINT FOR SALE

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827

Correct

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David

Ditto! I bought an identical set of the Nickel ones for mine, taken off the car after it was driven from the dealership to the tyre shop (27 kilometres). $1,500. Now I have a spare in the boot and three other potential replacement wheels in the event of gutter rash etc. 4 brand new Pirelli P Zero tyres! Will just buy an ecoboost jack from Ford
IMG

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed

The GT - def no spare wheel, just the tyre foam crud.

The Ecoboost - I believe it has a space saver spare
IMG

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
Tempe tyres will do a spare Simmons wheel with tyre for around $400 with several members on a FB s550 owners club site going that way. The FG falcon jack is the one to buy to go with the spare. I just picked one up from eBay for $50. Some are asking $160. Check a few local wreckers if you can.

Hopefully with the number of owners ditching the goo in favour of a spare, Ford will rectify this in The not too distant future.
IMG

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
Ditto! I bought an identical set of the Nickel ones for mine, taken off the car after it was driven from the dealership to the tyre shop (27 kilometres). $1,500. Now I have a spare in the boot and three other potential replacement wheels in the event of gutter rash etc. 4 brand new Pirelli P Zero tyres! Will just buy an ecoboost jack from Ford
The rear wider wheel when fitted to the front, fowls with the strut, it has a larger backspace, I tried it!

If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
+1 on the Simmons Wheel, too many instances of mustangs on the side of the road, those Pirelli 40 series are great handling tyres, but seem to puncture pretty easily.