Cost of spray job

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Cost of spray job  (Read 20615 times)

Offline usajet66@gmail.com

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Frank
Cost of spray job
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:17:27 pm »
What should I expect to pay for just a spray job of white with blue stripes. 65 fastback has been edgeprimered and hi flow blasted so looking to block and paint??? Want to use glasorite paint.

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
Re: Cost of spray job
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:35:49 am »
I had a similar job done: painting top and bottom, engine bay, inside and out and all the panels and I wouldn't have gotten much change from $20k

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 11:01:18 am »
Ditto.... You pay for what you get...
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 05:43:17 pm »
15-20k on a good car, most shops will want to remove whats there now back to steel so they can have some confidence on what they are working with. You wouldn't high build a car without repairing it first so it will all need to come off.

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:56:34 pm »
too much ! thats what you will pay , painting alone is way over priced and they can say all they want about it but sorry we pay too much for car paint jobs
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:51:54 pm »
too much ! thats what you will pay , painting alone is way over priced and they can say all they want about it but sorry we pay too much for car paint jobs

I dont agree sorry, there is a lot of hours in good body and paint, materials are expensive, all these old cars need body work, some need heaps of it more then they are worth, couple K in paint materials alone if you use quality stuff 4L of quality base will cost $800 alone. Waste of time using acrylic and cheap 2k, A crook car will owe you 30+k to fix, I know a few bad ones in to 40-50k, and some exotic stuff into 6 figures, unless you are prepared to slap filler on them and poly them shit-less it costs. People are happy to dust 12-18k on an engine but want cars painted for 4k I dont get it
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:06:58 pm by shaunp »

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:47:28 pm »
The prep work is all done just need a good paint job using glasorite paint. I understand that a fiberglass bonnet will cost more but could someone give me an approx figure.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 07:50:52 pm »
Sounds like you need to find a tradie looking for some weekend cash and a couple hours booth hire.

Offline Michael H

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 08:48:56 pm »
Get some quotes and have a look at their work. Cost could be anything and like Shaun said, the high end guys will be reluctant to put paint on somebody elses prep.

Glasurit is of the highest quality money can buy but that doesn't guarantee a quality paint job.

The reason some of the top industry guys charge big money is because they can. Too many guys doing crap or average jobs allows them to.

You don't always get what you pay for but you will pay considerable money for a good job.

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:50:39 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good painter in Sydney?

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 08:51:25 pm »
How long has it been sitting in primer like that? The likelihood is that it will have taken up moisture deep in so if someone just blocks it back & puts the colour coats on then there'll be problems down the track, I've seen it happen several times.
It needs to be fully painted including the primer coats in one go. By the same person. That's if you expect any sort of warranty.

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 08:53:47 pm »
Just finished 2 weeks ago. Is that too long? It was being done by 1 person but now he doesn't have the time to finish it.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 09:53:11 pm »
I dont agree sorry, there is a lot of hours in good body and paint, materials are expensive, all these old cars need body work, some need heaps of it more then they are worth, couple K in paint materials alone if you use quality stuff 4L of quality base will cost $800 alone. Waste of time using acrylic and cheap 2k, A crook car will owe you 30+k to fix, I know a few bad ones in to 40-50k, and some exotic stuff into 6 figures, unless you are prepared to slap filler on them and poly them shit-less it costs. People are happy to dust 12-18k on an engine but want cars painted for 4k I dont get it

Makes you wonder how Suzuki can do a paint job that include a free car for $13K...  :ouch:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:34 pm »
BAC maybe they make you pay for the paint job and they give you the car for free  :grin:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 10:22:29 pm »
Makes you wonder how Suzuki can do a paint job that include a free car for $13K...  :ouch:
Cause they are doing them by the 100000's on brand new shells with machines, in about 10 mins a car there is no labour and they wont be paying 2+k in materials for the paint either per car. Most shops will have an hourly rate of $120 or so maybe more, 100 hours in repairs, assembly. dissasembly and paint + 2k min in materials there is $14k before you blink. You can spend more then a day rubbing and cutting a car there's $1000. It's what it costs. Or you can paint them flat black

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 10:27:15 pm »
Most shops will have an hourly rate of $120 or so

And there's the crux of the whole thing: $120 an hour for labour - I wouldn't mind making a thousand bucks a day! :toetapping:

Next someone will tell me plumbers are really worth the $200 an hour they ask because of their artistry with the pipes...

Simply comes down to supply and demand -  if there wasn't such a shortage of skilled tradies that $120 an hour would be a lot closer to $60.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:41:55 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 10:27:27 pm »
Just finished 2 weeks ago. Is that too long? It was being done by 1 person but now he doesn't have the time to finish it.

So why not get the guy who has done the work thus far to finish it?
You could try Steve at St Mary's prestige they have done many mustangs some very rough ones , if the work thus far is ok and he is prepared to paint over it, you may be ok and not cost you too much to finish.

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 10:29:38 pm »
Cause they are doing them by the 100000's on brand new shells with machines, in about 10 mins a car there is no labour and they wont be paying 2+k in materials for the paint either per car. Most shops will have an hourly rate of $120 or so maybe more, 100 hours in repairs, assembly. dissasembly and paint + 2k min in materials there is $14k before you blink. You can spend more then a day rubbing and cutting a car there's $1000. It's what it costs. Or you can paint them flat black

Or you could pay $13999 for some mass produced piece of junk that looks like every other car on the road that will be worth $2990 in five years time.
Quality costs $ its just whether you are willing to pay for it or not :burnout:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 10:36:13 pm »
Or you could get a one day paint job for only $400 , well in the USA   :thumb:

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 10:37:09 pm »
Or you could pay $13999 for some mass produced piece of junk

As opposed to a mass produced Mustang? 

Look, I fully appreciate some people want a show quality paint job that is 300% better than the standard orange peel stuff.  But what about those that have a straight car with tired paint that just want it freshened up with new paint to around the same standard as the original factory job?

I think there's a sizeable market there that no one seems to be interested in servicing..
Cheers,
Brian

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 10:40:41 pm »
See one day paint jobs in the USA  , one year warranty $399 , two years $499 and five years $599  :pepper:  :grin: . And they are really good  :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:43:33 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 10:43:41 pm »
See one day paint jobs in the USA  , one year warranty $399 , two years $499 and five years $599  :pepper:  :grin: .

5 year warranty paint job for $599 is a bargain!

You could afford to change your car colour every 5 years for the rest of your life and still not have spent the $20K it costs for one paint job here...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »
And there's the crux of the whole thing - $120 an hour for labour...  :toetapping:

Think Zupps Subaru dealer in Brisbane charge $160 for mechanical work just to change oil and brake pads. In real terms to buy and rebuild/ restore a  Mustang to a nice standard even a coupe will owe about 50-60K starting with a solid car and thats not concours, just nice. I dont really disagree with the hourly rate, I think that reflects the cost of doing business in this country.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 10:46:23 pm »
Or you could get a one day paint job for only $400 , well in the USA   :thumb:

Remember the The very fast paint shop in Brisbane back in the 80's Glen? $1000, but then they were re birthing cars out the back I guess.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 10:46:50 pm »
I think that reflects the cost of doing business in this country.

What it reflects more is the shortage of skilled labour in quite a few key areas of Australian society. 

I know of several skilled white collar professions that pay much less, simply due to the equation of supply and demand.
Cheers,
Brian