importing an enclosed car trailer

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: importing an enclosed car trailer  (Read 6717 times)

Offline skip70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
importing an enclosed car trailer
« on: May 02, 2016, 06:18:10 pm »
Contemplating importing an enclosed car trailer. Been quoted a purchase price of just under $10k US. As I am out of touch with the costs of importing etc what would the costs be to get that over here to Melbourne? That is freight 20ft enclosed trailer (new) + brokers fees, duties and taxes? Oh I understand they are 8'6" wide so considered oversize here in Aus. but registrable? Thanks.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: importing an enclosed car trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:45:47 pm »
I would be getting onto one of your local importers  in VIC and getting a price off them .  1st asking VIC roads about rego . Quite often its the axle width that's too wide but sometimes its the wide wheels and their offset as well . Shipping would be drive on drive off .  The rest ,duty,GST etc the importer will sort that out when you ask for the quote . I wouldn't bother unless  it had a car on it /in it at the same time .
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:48:59 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:50:35 pm »
Interesting problem. I looked into RORO when I transported my car, but ended up thinking it was too risky.
At 8'6" it's too wide for a container, but I don't know if they take trailers RORO. I thought all vehicles have to be driveable, and I was also told that you aren't allowed to have anything inside the vehicle.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:42:50 pm »
A friend of mine was going to import a trailer (a large horse float with tack storage room ) which was about the same size as an enclosed car trailer, in width and length. Was told by RTA it was too big for registration in NSW and the construction was non compliant to Aus design rules. Look carefully into it before you decide, as no-one wants to do hard earned coin on a white elephant.

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 05:54:19 pm »
From what I've been told the wiring doesn't comply either.
stormin

Offline Mattstang

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 06:06:48 pm »
Maybe check the tow hitch setup as well...

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 06:55:25 pm »
for all the reasons above, not sure this is as straight forward as you would expect

anyway, have a look here for some ideas/prices for local - http://www.my105.com/Classifieds/cid/5503

cheers

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:07:02 pm »
Yes wiring/ lights ,tow hitch ,axle width ,trailer width and even the brakes can be all an issue .

Offline skip70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:52:31 pm »
Guys, all sound advice thank you.