Do you have to degree a new cam ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Do you have to degree a new cam ?  (Read 490815 times)

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Re: Do you have to degree a new cam ?
« Reply #1500 on: May 11, 2016, 11:03:06 am »
Maybe we are over all the   :sick:  you talk  Barnett.  :lmao: :lmao:

Well unlike some others, at least some of the shit I talk has gotten his car back on the road and achieved what others thought to be unachievable.  :lmao:

As of 5 minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDdAffThE4I&feature=youtu.be

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #1501 on: May 11, 2016, 11:06:53 am »
Mic on ph isn't the best either.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1502 on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:28 am »

Oh, by the way . Here's his comments from the drive with the cam I told him to buy instead of the pos cam the big time "professional builder" put in it.

Sounds and idles fine.

Choppier than the last cam for sure, pulls so much better in 1st than last cam.

It's not missing so i'm stoked.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:09:39 am by barnett468 »

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #1503 on: May 11, 2016, 11:09:00 am »

Oh, by the way . Here's his comments from the drive with the cam I told him to by.

sounds and idles fine.

Choppier than the last cam for sure, pulls so much better in 1st than last cam.

It's not missing so i'm stoked.

I'll get a better vid some how. I was only in 1st most of that vid

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1504 on: May 11, 2016, 11:13:02 am »
...plus my distributor gear choice is still spinning the distributor and doesn't even show a wear pattern.  :thumb:

Please excuse me but I just can't help myself.  :lmao:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:17:37 am by barnett468 »

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #1505 on: May 11, 2016, 11:14:36 am »
Here we go..  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #1506 on: May 11, 2016, 11:15:21 am »
1st drive in 7 months...

Almost wanted to start touching myself...  :lmao: :lmao:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #1507 on: May 11, 2016, 11:15:37 am »
Now this thread is getting boring   :grin: Maybe a new post on how Barnett fixed Fritzy s cam problem

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #1508 on: May 11, 2016, 11:17:56 am »
Now this thread is getting boring   :grin: Maybe a new post on how Barnett fixed Fritzy s cam problem

But how long will it stay together Glenn ?  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1509 on: May 11, 2016, 11:18:56 am »
1st drive in 7 months...Almost wanted to start touching myself...  :lmao: :lmao:

Pleeease don't post a video.  :sick:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1510 on: May 11, 2016, 11:20:03 am »

Perhaps one asking where the best body shop is to fix is car at would be more interesting.  :lmao:

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #1511 on: May 11, 2016, 11:34:04 am »
Perhaps one asking where the best body shop is to fix is car at would be more interesting.  :lmao:

Already sorted for tomorrow. Family member owns a smash repairer.  :thumb:

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1512 on: May 11, 2016, 11:39:59 am »
Well I hate to introduce a note seriousness into this thread and the one that preceded it about tuning webers that was actually about a stuffed dizzy gear, but after being along for the ride from the beginning let me say that I reckon you are to be admired for having a go at this and getting to the end. I've never been game to go inside my engine and I'm just very, very impressed. Congratulations.

I know you've had 20 or so pages of help from the forum brains trust and a 100 or so pages of bullshit but I seriously reckon you should be really pleased with yourself. I'm full of admiration.

Now get it straightened out and go drive the thing!

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1513 on: May 11, 2016, 11:40:58 am »
Already sorted for tomorrow. Family member owns a smash repairer.  :thumb:

Post a photo of the gruesomeness first . We might have some ideas what the best plan of attack is

Try to get the paint code and paint mfg for the paint that's on it so it will match half way decent.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1514 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:20 am »
I know you've had 20 or so pages of help from the forum brains trust and a 100 or so pages of bullshit...

Bullshit? . Who said talking about lemon party's and gay soccer players is bullshit? . The entertainment was a moral booster for him . Besides, he is the one that brought those topics up anyway...or was it gay football players.  :lmao:

Also, don't forget to count the 30 plus pages of pm's.  :thumb:

We are doing some tuning as I post this.

The carbs will have to wait because he does not have the Colortune yet but I think we can get it where it will be reliably driveable until then.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:49:09 am by barnett468 »

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #1515 on: May 11, 2016, 11:54:45 am »
Well I hate to introduce a note seriousness into this thread and the one that preceded it about tuning webers that was actually about a stuffed dizzy gear, but after being along for the ride from the beginning let me say that I reckon you are to be admired for having a go at this and getting to the end. I've never been game to go inside my engine and I'm just very, very impressed. Congratulations.

I know you've had 20 or so pages of help from the forum brains trust and a 100 or so pages of bullshit but I seriously reckon you should be really pleased with yourself. I'm full of admiration.

Cheers buddy, very much appreciated.

I may still end up divorced but we got there in the end...  :lmao: :lmao:

Fingers crossed it stays together for awhile  :lmao:

He's probably aged 20 years through this but i couldn't have done it without Barn's help..

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #1516 on: May 11, 2016, 11:59:04 am »
Ok Fitzy . This is the first step . Post the results and video and I can make a plan for the next step right away.

1. Rotate crank until you see the engraved top dead center line . This will be between the two 10 degree marks . Put a white line on it and write 40 to the right of it as you face the engine.

2. Loosen the distributor bolt around 1/8th turn.

3. Start engine and verify that it is still on the white line on the 282 mark [22 degrees btdc].

4. Locate the new 40 mark without turning the distributor and note where it is.

5. Advance the timing slightly and listen for a change in rpm or rough running or popping sounds.

6. Retard timing to where it was in step 4.

7. Retard timing slightly and listen for a change in rpm or rough running or popping sounds.

an

Do you want clean plugs for this ?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1517 on: May 11, 2016, 12:03:30 pm »

Do you want clean plugs for this ?

No.

I also had to change it a little . Below is the new one.

This is the first step . Post the results and video and I can make a plan for the next step right away.

The basic goal is to advance the timing and see if the rpm increases . If it does and the engine still runs smooth, you will get a little more power and better throttle response with more advance.

1. Rotate crank until you see the engraved top dead center line . This will be between the two 10 degree marks . Put a white line on it and write 40 to the right of it as you face the engine.

2. Loosen the distributor bolt around 1/8th turn.

3. Start engine and verify that it is still on the white line on the 282 mark [22 degrees btdc].

4. Locate the new 40 mark without turning the distributor and note where it is.

5. Advance the timing slightly and listen for a change in rpm or rough running or popping sounds . Don't rotate it quite as far as half the distance between the distributor cap posts like we were doing because this will be WAY too far . The most you want to go is around 1/8 the distance between the post or around 4 degrees on the crank which will be two lines.

6. Retard timing to the 282 mark.

7. Hold rpm at around 2000 to 2500 rpm or 1/3rd throttle and advance the timing a little like you did in step 5 and listen for a change in rpm or rough running or popping sounds.

8. If the rpm increases and it still runs smoothly, try to see what mark it is on or where the new 40 mark is in relation to the timing pointer.

9. Let it idle and tell me what mark it is on.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:28:05 pm by barnett468 »

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #1518 on: May 11, 2016, 12:58:19 pm »
 :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :smilies: :cheers: :cheers: :burnout:

Bloody well done Fitzy! Like Geoff said - I'm impressed!

And good onya Barn for helping out  :thumb:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1519 on: May 11, 2016, 12:58:42 pm »
ENGINE OIL

You should change this before you drive it outside your neighborhood . If you plan to drive it to the body shop, change it first.

Post a photo of the oil . It is safer to run the other 5 qts of cheap stuff through it first with a new filter, or if you don't have one, at least drain the filter . If the shop is close and you put the cheap oil in it, you can leave that in until you get the car back.

You need a new filter with the PENNRITE.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1520 on: May 11, 2016, 01:15:35 pm »
:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :smilies: :cheers: :cheers: :burnout:
Bloody well done Fitzy! Like Geoff said - I'm impressed!

And good onya Barn for helping out  :thumb:

Thanks, it was actually a lot more challenging for me than I thought it would be, as Fitzy can attest to, cuz I'm actually not a very patient person, and we exchanged around 30 pages of pm's in addition to what is posted on his thread, but I had faith in him from the beginning based solely on his desire because I had no idea what his mechanical experience was, and after going through this process, it seemed like it was virtually zero which makes his achievement all the more impressive . The only reason he did this himself is because I kinda told him it wouldn't be that hard.  :lmao:

I have actually taught auto mechanics to some on a few occasions and have written portions of instruction manuals, so I had a plan on how to write things that might make it easier for him, but it still took some additional explanations to get some of the things clarified for him  which is fine because it showed that he really wanted to understand how things worked, and he made it through and now can actually drive his car again and tell people that he did it on his own which he did . Not a single person other than him touched that car . The only outside work he had done was drilling the hole in the distributor shaft after I had him set it up properly on the dis shaft which was also a bit of a pita because of how I had to do it, but he easily could have drilled the hole himself.

Next plan is setting the distributor curve which "should" be fairly easy, then it's on to the Webers [God help us all]. 
 :thud:

Of course his wife is ready to divorce him now [and his driveway is full of oil and gas], but that will be another thread.  :lmao:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:32:27 pm by barnett468 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #1521 on: May 11, 2016, 07:12:34 pm »
I purchased some gears to compare, the Crane defiantly has a different coating, the gears them selves are very similar, MSD, Mallory and Crane. I have a Mallory that has done about 4000km in 69ish's 408 its hardly marked, though I put it together, not Fizty's mate. I really think its the set up, and the oiling that's the deal breaker. I'd be happy to use any of the 3

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1522 on: May 11, 2016, 07:47:19 pm »
I purchased some gears to compare, the Crane defiantly has a different coating, the gears them selves are very similar, MSD, Mallory and Crane. I have a Mallory that has done about 4000km in 69ish's 408 its hardly marked, though I put it together, not Fizty's mate. I really think its the set up, and the oiling that's the deal breaker. I'd be happy to use any of the 3
from my phone so iit may  be messy lol . thats good info .   i knew the crane gear from the old dauys .  i hadnt seen the new one and i didnt have an  msd in hand to look at so i had to go by the photos i posted . and   the crane was definitely smoother but the msd photo might have been old .m they are both  melonized but they are different colors   so either the process is slightly different or the color of the base gmaterial of the gear is different and it shows thru  the melonizing . i just didnt want to take any  chances because i wasnt  d installing it myself and i would have looked  like an idiot if his gear ffailed right  away lol .  yeah i agree with the oil holes . i had him use a .016 bit and after he cranked the   engine over for around 15 seconds  then removed the  dist to look at the  gear he saif  it was covered with oil . having a nice gear on the cam also helps and the howards gear  is as    sdmooth as can be .  they  make  nice stuff.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:55:48 pm by barnett468 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #1523 on: May 11, 2016, 09:17:17 pm »
The melonizing is not the same on the crane it its very thick or it has some other coating as well, where as the MSD & mallory look the same. I dont think the Crane gear is actually any/ much or any smoother, the coating makes it look as though it is,  also kind on sparkly like it has, maybe graphite or something in the coating. MSD also provide break in moly lube with the gear as they do with a new disy. The cam in Rods 408 is Lunati Voodoo roller and like I said the mark on the disy gear is tiny after 18months use.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:19:48 pm by shaunp »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #1524 on: May 11, 2016, 11:56:13 pm »
The melonizing is not the same on the crane it its very thick or it has some other coating as well, where as the MSD & mallory look the same. I dont think the Crane gear is actually any/ much or any smoother, the coating makes it look as though it is,  also kind on sparkly like it has, maybe graphite or something in the coating. MSD also provide break in moly lube with the gear as they do with a new disy. The cam in Rods 408 is Lunati Voodoo roller and like I said the mark on the disy gear is tiny after 18months use.

ok, thanks again . based on your info, i just told a friend of mine that he can use the MSD gear as well as the Crane.  :thumb: