steering not returning to center

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: steering not returning to center  (Read 2488 times)

Offline 66redcoupe

• Pony
« on: January 12, 2006, 01:09:07 am »
Hi all, looking for anyone who has experienced their power steer mustang, 1966, not self centering (steering, as in go around corner, let go of wheel and car keeps turning) to be able to offer any advice. I have completed a 3 year full rebuild and have now had 2 attempts at getting past the examination for registration. They won't pass it due to this problem. The front end is basically new, all ball joints, tie rod ends, lower control arms, upper control arm shaft kits fitted (bushes tack welded in to prevent from coming loose) power steer control valve and ball stud rebuilt/replaced, power steer cylinder resealed and so on. Idler arm is new also. Did find the idler arm was a little tight, as was the steering box sector adjustment. After loosening off the idler arm a little to ensure was free and adjusting steering box for correct backlash (about 1 inch free play at the wheel) still no difference. Everything feels free though. Now, I have had the car wheel aligned by WA suspensions, a reputable company, to specs. My combined castor angle is +.4 degrees (spec is -1 to +1 degrees), tire pressures and brakes are all good. Has anybody any experience in going to a larger positive castor outside of the specs, or just any suggestions at all. Am getting desperado and just want to get on the road and enjoy the fruits of my labour. Thanks all

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:59:34 am »
No doubt you have been through the shop manual, but if you dont have access to one mine is available.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 66redcoupe

• Pony
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 01:29:33 am »
Thanks Nassi
I have a manual. The car is back at WA suspensions, think we are going to try going outside the castor specs and give it some more positive castor
will keep you all posted
Thanks, Scott