Value of a project

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Value of a project  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Itsamitsi

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Value of a project
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:02:49 pm »
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.
I've heard second hand about a 65 convertible that's been a long term restoration project.
It may be coming up.to sale.
It has a long ago rebuilt 289 auto, power roof and a new pony interior to be fitted.
It's also right hook.
Body I've heard has no rust and is beautifully straight rust replaced with metal. Rear floors replaced
Needs roof redone
It's wearing colour so it's not been sitting in primer and it has had all the rust removed from near bare start. Needs final coats of paint
Owner mentioned to my friend nearly all parts for body are new like convertible roof fabric,shocks gas cap woodgrain wheel and other bits and bobs.
So after that long winded description what might a car like this be worth to  purchase?
If I go.look and it's as it's described what's a fair  price to pay? Bear in mind the final finish wouldn't be done by me I need to farm that out.
Thanks all. Bit hard without first hand or photo info yet.
Hoping to arrange to see it this week if possible just chasing up the owner
John

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Re: Value of a project
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 08:13:02 pm »
The problem is that you really have no idea where the body situation is because you do not know what is under the paint. Same with the engine - you really have no idea where the engine is as far as usability. So assume you have body work to do and engine to rebuild etc. Then look at what is required to do to fix her up and complete the build. If you are doing the work yourself it may be worth it from a financial perspective while definitely worth doing it from the personal satisfaction perspective. If farming all the work out it will be highly likely a better financial position to purchase one already done (in the price range you think is fair). Most build cost more than a completed car. The real value all depends on who is buying. For me I would look to the financial side on which as a project it is not worth much at all as I am looking it as a total mystery build.