gauges not working

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: gauges not working  (Read 2323 times)

Offline whitehorse

• Pony
  • I'm new here
gauges not working
« on: October 02, 2015, 06:19:48 pm »
Hi all I just replaced my mechanical alternator regulator with an electronic one and all was fine until 30min later when gauges stopped working, I also have a solid state regulator haven't had any problems prior to change over, all fuses are good ran a test on bat and alt at 2000rpm with headlights on and getting a reading of 14volts.
Has the gauge reg carked it, or is there something I should be testing any ideas anyone.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Re: gauges not working
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 10:38:16 pm »
Check the gauge regulator is producing 5volts.

Offline whitehorse

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:33:58 pm »
Gauge regulator is a solid state do they was working for 30 min and then stopped, is it common they break down and how do I test it.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:54:30 pm »
how do I test it.

You need a multimeter, set it to measure DC volts and put the probes across the regulator outputs.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 04:38:40 pm »
Gauge regulator is a solid state do they was working for 30 min and then stopped, is it common they break down and how do I test it.

you replaced the regulator on the fender apron by the battery, but boofhead is asking about the small regulator screwed to the back of the instrument cluster.

check to see if the instrument cluster one has 12 volts going into it, if it does not, there may be a loose/bad connection on your starter solenoid or on the plug that goes to the regulator on the fender apron.

Offline whitehorse

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 10:41:28 am »
So I checked the icvr it must of shaken loose over time causing a bad ground connection replaced it and its good as gold now.
Thanks for all your help guys.