new nsw rta rego, whats the deal?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: new nsw rta rego, whats the deal?  (Read 40631 times)

Offline walbjj

• Worked
new nsw rta rego, whats the deal?
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:02:30 pm »
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/owning-a-classic-car-just-got-better-20150904-gjf84j.html

just read this article. i have my shelby and boss registered normally as i could never see the point of the historic plate rego, it was too restrictive. i rarely go to club events. i basically drive the car when i want, where i want.
will this new option from the rta be a better option. it mentions 60 days, which is essentially 1 day a week, but who's counting right? logbook?

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
Re: new nsw rta rego, whats the deal?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 10:21:29 pm »
Sounds similar to the SA scheme. We get 90 days per year here for historic reg cars. We have to fill in a log book whenever the car is used. If you get pulled over and the log book is not filled in then your car is considered to be unregistered.

Offline walbjj

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:29:17 pm »
please go on. what happens if u fill it out accidently leaving out days driven? lots of "honour system" stuff here

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:39:53 pm »
The log book has a date column. So basically you fill in three fields - date, where driven (normally metro) and signature. You would have to be pretty quick to fill in the date column if you left it blank and got pulled over. I find that 90 days is plenty for me.

Offline walbjj

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:49:08 pm »
Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial

The Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight, Duncan Gay, has asked Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime Services to develop a Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial.
The Log Book Trial will allow all operators of existing vehicles within the Historic Vehicle Scheme to opt-in. These vehicles may then be used for 60 days of general use (i.e. club events, maintenance and personal use) each year. Each day’s use must be recorded in a Log Book.
New entrants to the Historic Vehicle Scheme after the trial commences may apply for inclusion in the Log Book Trial, subject to the existing historic vehicle and registered operator eligibility criteria.
The trial will operate for two years, with an evaluation to be completed during this period as part of the Roads and Maritime Services review of the overall Conditional Registration Scheme.
The Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial will commence on 1 October 2015. Details on how to opt in to the trial will be updated on this page from this date.
Customers interested in the trial should email Historic.vehicle.logbook.trial@rms.nsw.gov.au

as far as the log book goes, i guess u could fill in a few entries legitimately, and leave off a few days here and there, and no one would be the wiser

im currently paying $600 odd a year for rego for each of the mustangs, saving a few hndred for historic rego isnt really an issue i guess. i would lose my current plates which will be a bummer, i guess ill wait and see how this plays out
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:50:51 pm by walbjj »

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 04:38:20 am »
It sounds like you guys are slowly catching up to Vic....   :thumb:

Offline teacherspet

• Worked
  • Name: Pete
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 06:49:02 am »
Makes me glad I live in Qld.  :thumb:

Offline gazzab055

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Gary
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 08:22:11 am »
Queensland has more dramas if you follow the historic/club rego to the letter of the laws imposed!

The word that I have been getting from those in the system is that we will eventually go to log books.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 08:28:48 am »
As for QLD I hope not ,I like it the way it is now .

Offline walbjj

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 08:34:26 am »
Any nsw owners want to share any info regarding this?

Offline mussy65

• Worked
    • http://nsw.mustang.org.au
  • Name: Phil
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 11:04:46 am »
Well done to the RMS for listening to the various motoring bodies involved in creating this class of rego.  MOCA NSW were part of this process via our affiliation with the Council of Motor Clubs (CMC).  A general overview of the scheme was provided to participating clubs two weeks back (at Wollondilly) with the full release due on 1st October.  Owners interested in transferring to the new scheme will be encouraged to do so at the next registration date rather than commencing a new registration on 1st October.

There is not a lot more to report other than the minister's press release (see above).

This is a NEW scheme to be run in addition to the Historic scheme that is already in place (and will continue unchanged).  The new scheme is for MODIFIED vehicles that are at least 30 year old.  The vehicle must still comply with NSW registration requirements and meet all the rules necessary to be on full rego.  So, if you have a blower standing too high in the engine bay, then that car will not be getting registered under any NSW rules - your car still needs to comply with the registration rules and you will need engineer certification plus pink slip - not sure about blue slip but I think it will need one for first time rego (emphasis on I THINK).

The log book is going to be a strict rule that you may not want to F*** around with (unless you are a F'wit fool).  No log book entry means no registration; means two fines of about $750 each - unregistered and uninsured (CTP).

Is 60 days really sufficient?  It seems reasonably generous for a car on limited use and would definitely be OK if you have other toys in the garage.  The saving from a full rego cost of around $1,000 going down to about $100 per year may well be an incentive but like all things, it is a choice the individual will make. 

You will still need to be a member of an RMS endorsed club (MOCA NSW is one of many) however the compliance falls more under the control of RMS via the need to comply with vehicle safety requirements - and that is how it should be (my view).

Phil Preston

Offline walbjj

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 11:35:26 am »
Thanks phil. I assume that because im already under full rego moving to this scheme shoukd be easy. Ill lose my plates though correct?

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 12:31:49 pm »
Thanks phil. I assume that because im already under full rego moving to this scheme shoukd be easy. Ill lose my plates though correct?

If you can't use them with the new scheme? ( I don't think you can) you could always transfer them onto your daily drive or keep in storage at the RMS for a measly $50 per year.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 12:42:09 pm »
This is very interesting.

How strict will the vehicle have to comply with factory spec.? For instance can you get historic rego if your Mustang has 17" wheels?

s

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 01:36:15 pm »

In SA we can register with custom or normal plates. Historical rego does not come with different plates.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 02:37:42 pm »
I'm the NSW Club Plate Registrar and have heard nothing from the RMS re what the changes are. I have a few questions. Do cars get to keep their plates or go to historic plates? Can those on full rego, cancel it and go to Historic? Do they need to do Historic declaration or a different form? Pretty poor form from the RMS to not advise those who are expected to manage the scheme on their behalf of the changes prior to going public. They have my details on the Historic Scheme list of Club Plate Rebistrars.
IMG

Offline mussy65

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 03:42:42 pm »
I assume that because im already under full rego moving to this scheme shoukd be easy. Ill lose my plates though correct?

You are the perfect candidate to go on the new scheme if you are happy with the terms - maximum 60 days per annum and religiously fill out a log book before you start your trip.

I doubt (but am not sure) you will keep your old plates.  If not, (as stated in the previous reply) then put them on your daily driver; into hold for $50 per year or you may be able to place them on a family member vehicle but do check that out.

I also had a comment made to me this morning that a vehicle has to first go on full rego for a year before transferring to the new scheme.  I believe that is NOT correct however it does support the view that RMS wants these vehicles to be fully roadworthy prior to (and during) registration no matter what scheme they fall under.  The RMS are saying to those currently on full rego, to stay on full rego until expiry (there is very little refund for early cancellation) and then transfer to the Modified Rego scheme.

Offline mussy65

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 03:54:10 pm »
This is very interesting.

How strict will the vehicle have to comply with factory spec.? For instance can you get historic rego if your Mustang has 17" wheels?

s
Stephen, the new scheme is for MODIFIED vehicles so therefore, factory compliance is not an issue or requirement.

I hope people will correct me if I am wrong in saying that if you change your vehicle (any vehicle) to make it different from manufacturers specifications, then those changes may require an engineer to certify the vehicle remains roadworthy.  ie, if you have a Toyota Landcruiser and put a GM 6litre engine into it (or a 5 litre efi motor into an early model Mustang), you need to get that engineered to say it is roadworthy.  Similarly, if you put different brakes into a vehicle or increase the wheel specs that applied to a vehicle, then you most likely will need an engineer certificate to pass rego.  Now, apply those examples or other mods to a vehicle 30 year old (or more).  Make modifications to your heart's content and you will be able to apply for a Modified Vehicle registration BUT, be sure you have an acceptable engineer certificate saying that your modifications are legal, comply with RMS regulations and keep your vehicle totally roadworthy.  Do not expect an engineer to pass anything that would not normally be passed.  Once you have the engineers certificate, you then need to have your vehicle pass the pink (or blue) slip inspection and that person will pass it when he sees the engineer certificate and if all else is correct.

Stephen, your vehicle is a contender for the modified plate but have an engineer certify the mods that you have done.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:02:19 pm by mussy65 »

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 05:00:13 pm »
Thanks for all the info Phil, pity it's not coming from the RMS though. Not sure re the having to be on full rego for a year first though? Cars on Historic have to have Pink Slips just like cars on full rego so that seems to be mute.
IMG

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 05:21:40 pm »
The RMS are saying to those currently on full rego, to stay on full rego until expiry (there is very little refund for early cancellation) and then transfer to the Modified Rego scheme.

Brilliant! My rego expires tomorrow; looks like I'll have to wait a year.  :(

I always thought the refund was pro-rata; if you cancel after 6 months you get half back. No?

s
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:30:22 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline marksince1984

• Stallion
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 05:59:16 pm »
From http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/get-nsw-registration/historic-vehicles.html

Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial

The Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight, Duncan Gay, has asked Transport for NSW and Roads and Maritime Services to develop a Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial.
The Log Book Trial will allow all operators of existing vehicles within the Historic Vehicle Scheme to opt-in. These vehicles may then be used for 60 days of general use (i.e. club events, maintenance and personal use) each year. Each day’s use must be recorded in a Log Book.
New entrants to the Historic Vehicle Scheme after the trial commences may apply for inclusion in the Log Book Trial, subject to the existing historic vehicle and registered operator eligibility criteria.
The trial will operate for two years, with an evaluation to be completed during this period as part of the Roads and Maritime Services review of the overall Conditional Registration Scheme.
The Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial will commence on 1 October 2015. Details on how to opt in to the trial will be updated on this page from this date.
Customers interested in the trial should email Historic.vehicle.logbook.trial@rms.nsw.gov.au
1969 Mach 1 S Code

Offline marksince1984

• Stallion
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 06:03:18 pm »
Thanks for all the info Phil, pity it's not coming from the RMS though. Not sure re the having to be on full rego for a year first though? Cars on Historic have to have Pink Slips just like cars on full rego so that seems to be mute.

Dave, looks like an update of the club's policy is going to be in order - I believe the 3 events attended rule should still be applicable despite the new rules so wording will have to reflect that just because you can operate vehicle independently that you are still expected to be a active club member. Just my thoughts

Also another question - do the 60 days include or exclude club runs/shows.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 06:06:09 pm by marksince1984 »
1969 Mach 1 S Code

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 06:20:55 pm »
I cant see the reason we must hand in custom plates or even standard plates in this day and age of on board number plate recognition, the authorities can see all the info in front of the screen ?

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 06:23:18 pm »
I cant see the reason we must hand in custom plates or even standard plates in this day and age of on board number plate recognition

I think not all cop cars are fitted with it; it's currently only highway patrol?

s

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 06:43:44 pm »
What I have found in the link below

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/owning-a-classic-car-just-got-better-20150904-gjf84j.html

From what I read it mentioned the 60 days not including club endorsed events.