What colour is this?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: What colour is this?  (Read 23513 times)

Offline Humey

• Pony
  • Fastback 65
  • Name: Ben
What colour is this?
« on: August 15, 2015, 11:49:54 pm »
I've been looking at colours to paint my 65 Fastback in. There are plenty of very nice options, but I keep coming back to this.

Any ideas what colour this is? All the searching I've done, and I have the pic that inspired it, and one other that's close...

See what you  think

Offline Humey

• Pony
  • Fastback 65
Re: What colour is this?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 11:50:49 pm »
Another one...

Offline malscar

• Worked
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:38:27 am by malscar »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 04:45:21 am »
1966 t bird blue saphire blue but you may want to timt it to your liking.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:52:20 am by barnett468 »

Offline coops

• Thoroughbred
  • been here a little while!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 08:12:17 am »
My 66 is nightmist blue and it looks very similar if it's an original colour you are looking for.
66 and 69 coupes.

Offline Humey

• Pony
  • Fastback 65
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:44:14 am »
Thanks guys!
It says in those links that is Guardsman Blue, but if you see my profile pic, that is what the car looked like when I got it. Apparently the stripes are Guardsman blue. The sample looks right in the link, but doesn't match the stripes on the car?

Perhaps this is because it's painted over the white?

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 09:09:12 am »
Whoever put the stripes on may not have used guardsman blue, but something similar, hence the difference in appearance, too. The stripes could also be Monza blue, which, I think, is the correct colour for gt350 stripes, BUT I could be wrong on that point.
Cheers, Ron B
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:15:21 am by Ron Beckhaus »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 09:17:49 am »
Any ideas what colour this is?

It looks like one of the turquoise colours but I've seen these look different in different light, etc.

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?pic=/1966/1966_00043_01

Some blue Mustangs here:

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/blue_mustang.shtml

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1965_mustang_colors.php

s
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:29:57 am by StephenSLR »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 09:41:46 am »
There's some Mustang colours here under 'Exterior Paint'.

Guardsman Blue is a 64 1/2 colour; just to let you know in case you want to stick to 65 colours.

http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topics/decode/decode.html

s

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 09:46:00 am »
It says in those links that is Guardsman Blue

Exactly what links are you talking about and exactly what are you trying to do?

there is no such thing as an exact match for your paint . . if you get any color paint from 5 different mfgs, you will have 5 different shades.

guardsman blue is a 65 color and is medium dark dirty blue . . your shelby photo is NOT guardsman blue.

IF YOU WANT TO MATCH THE COLOR OF THE BLUE STRIPES ON THE WHITE CAR, YOU CAN SIMPLy have a paint shop take a photo of it with their paint camera then make the paint . . it may need to be tinted to match better.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:51:31 am by barnett468 »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 10:03:35 am »
if you get any color paint from 5 different mfgs, you will have 5 different shades.

If you get 5 photos of the same car taken at different times of day, you will have 5 different shades. lol.

s

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 10:05:00 am »
I've been looking at colours to paint my 65 Fastback in. There are plenty of very nice options, but I keep coming back to this.

Any ideas what colour this is? All the searching I've done, and I have the pic that inspired it, and one other that's close...

See what you  think

........................................................................ this is guardsman blue

.................................................................................. this aint

.................................................................................. is

.................................................................................. isn't

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:11:40 am by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 10:06:33 am »
If you get 5 photos of the same car taken at different times of day, you will have 5 different shades. lol.

s

yup, so that makes 10 different possible shades . . definitely kinda hard to tell a lot by internet photos but its possible to eliminate some colors at least.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 11:48:34 am »
Given its on a Shelby, why don't you try contacting someone on the Shelby forums or Shelby registries, click the Shelby logo on right of the page or Google Shelby owners in USA.

Just a thought, as someone must know the car or colour.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 01:56:34 pm »
Given its on a Shelby, why don't you try contacting someone on the Shelby forums or Shelby registries, click the Shelby logo on right of the page or Google Shelby owners in USA.

Just a thought, as someone must know the car or colour.

factory shelby color is saphire blue

Offline Humey

• Pony
  • Fastback 65
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 02:17:55 pm »
The links I'm referring to are from malscar at the top of the thread.

I'm not after the same blue as the stripes on my car, I've actually stripped the paint off it now and have been ransacking google images for a colour. The original colour is Y (silver blue), but when I look at other cars/colors, that dark blue on the first two cars I posted really screams out to me.

StephenSLR posted a link with the colour chart (thanks champ) and there are two variations of turquoise that look damn close.

Offline Humey

• Pony
  • Fastback 65
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 02:30:23 pm »
Caspian blue? I think that's it.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 02:53:53 pm »
Caspian blue? I think that's it.
I had thought Caspian Blue at first but it depends on which image you see; in some images Caspian looks like a turquoise and in others it's a very dark blue.

Your first image looks like it's a metallic colour.

Here's another colour guide; as you can see, some labelled with same colour look different in different photos.

http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/colors.html

It'd be best to see the colours on the cars in the flesh or get some test panels done; your computer screen isn't 100% reliable either.

s

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 03:12:45 pm »
Buy test pots, pay someone to spray 300mm x 300mm or larger test patches on scrap steel panel.  A tiny swatch on a computer screen, or on a prefabbed sample card doesn't work...

Get the test patches and look at them inside, outside, in the sun, in the morning in the evening and see how the color plays to your eye... I went thru at least a half dozen before picking the color for the EXP.  IMO well worth the expense and effort to be happy with the color on the car.

As noted the same color from different manufacturers will look different.  I had the "same" color from one vendor in their VOC and water based formulas and they were so different side-by-side it was shocking...
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 03:17:44 pm »
pay someone to spray 300mm x 300mm or larger test patches on scrap steel panel

^ 'Speed shapes'

A good way to see how a metallic or pearl will look.

s

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 03:30:00 pm »
The links I'm referring to are from malscar at the top of the thread.

I'm not after the same blue as the stripes on my car, I've actually stripped the paint off it now and have been ransacking google images for a colour. The original colour is Y (silver blue), but when I look at other cars/colors, that dark blue on the first two cars I posted really screams out to me.

StephenSLR posted a link with the colour chart (thanks champ) and there are two variations of turquoise that look damn close.

nope, the turquoise will not be remotely close . . the color you want is either saphire blue or guardsman blue if you want it to match the shelby photos you posted. . the saphire blue is brighter . . there is no other color to look at . . your painter will not have color samples of it.

heres caspian blue.

this is guardsman blue.

so is this, lol. but this is closer to original

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:40:16 pm by barnett468 »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 04:21:24 pm »
the turquoise will not be remotely close
This is a twilight turqoise

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&ditzler=12893&syear=1964&smanuf=Ford&smodel=Mustang&sname=Twilight%20Turquoise&name=1964_00069_01&scomm=

The two blues mentioned and this turquoise all look similar, yet have subtle differences.

Apparently this is Midnight Turquoise on the Thunderbird below but I've seen some much lighter versions of Midnight Turquoise on Mustangs so it may be the shade making it look darker.

s
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:25:35 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 05:01:36 pm »

This is a twilight turqoise
unfortunately convert color its not even close to the orig twilight turquoise.

......... heres the blue shelby which is obviously not even in the same universe as twilight turquoise . . there is absolutely no green tint to this color.

thie link and the car below are the same car and are also twilight turquoise from the paint ref site and is as close to original as you can get from the formulae unless you tint it and the orig color doesn't have the bright color in the sunlight that this one shows . . twilight turquoise is blue green . . this is also most likely ppg solvent base paint.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&ditzler=12893&syear=1965&smanuf=Ford&smodel=Mustang&sname=Twilight%20Turquoise&name=1965_00085_01

............................this is much less green than it should be and is also brighter and lighter on the edges in the sunlight than the orig color was.

.............................heres another version that is close to orig but still a hair too blue..

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:32:44 pm by barnett468 »

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 05:19:50 pm »
unfortunately that color its not even close to the orig twilight turquoise.

this is also twilight turquoise and is as close to original as you can get from the formulae unless you tint it and the orig color doesn't have the bright color in the sunlight that this one shows . . twilight turquoise is blue green.

............................this is less green and brighter and lighter on the edges in the sunlight.

.............................heres another version that is close to orig but still a hair too blue..

HaHa barnett,that's my car before i bought it,that pic was taken in 2008 in Florida from the  previous owner,yes it was slightly more blue than green...that has been corrected...

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 06:25:25 pm »
the orig color doesn't have the bright color in the sunlight that this one shows . . twilight turquoise is blue green.

You're correct; the first pic doesn't have a green tint and the others do seem too blue, hence why I mentioned to get samples done or see the cars in the flesh. By the looks of it, it seems there's many owners out there that think their car is the original colour and isn't.

s
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:38:43 pm by StephenSLR »