Disc brake conversion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Disc brake conversion  (Read 8347 times)

Offline mswyld

• Stallion
Disc brake conversion
« on: January 06, 2006, 02:34:54 pm »
Hi all,

just bought a 65 coupe running 3spd with 289

wanting to convert the drum front to disc any help?

Offline Pete

• Worked
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 01:05:14 pm »
There are also numerous conversion kits available. Two good ones I have used both use HQ Holden calipers and XB Ford disc rotors. Both kits retain your original spindles and bolt up in an afternoon. The kits are very similar. one is from the Castlemaine Rod Shop, the other from Mustangs of Melbourne. I found a remote VH40 booster to wotk well with both kits. If originality is your go, then you can't go past the Kelsy Hayes setup that Phill has for sale. Good Luck.  Pete

Offline 66ccode

• Stallion
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:11:21 am »
Originally posted by NOSMustangSupplies
WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

if you are after original Kelsey Hayes disk brake system for your 1965 mustang drop me a line as i have several restored systems which are ready to install onto 1965/66/67 mustangs.

system includes spindles, used rotors, rebuilt calipers, sheilds, pads and crossover lines for $1200.

if you require master cylinder and proportioning valve and brake lines i also have them in stock as well for an extra cost.

pictures available via email if required.

regards.

PHILL  BERESFORD
NOS MUSTANG SUPPLIES.
0412 455049.

Phill,

I'd like some ifo on the master cylinder and proportioning valve. I already have the original Kelsey Hayes disk brake system. Is it possible to add a booster to this setup aswell?

Brad

Offline 66ccode

• Stallion
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 09:08:26 am »
Phill,
Thanks for the reponse.
Mine is a 66 coupe c code, with the factory Kelsey Heyes disks. LHD
In terms of thinking about adding a booster, Im very happy with the brake performance (after I stripped the calipers them down and rebuilt them), however my wife cant get used to getting out of her focus, and into the mustang with the relative high pedal pressures required. Im terrified she is going to run up the bum of someone.
What Im looking for with the matercylinder is the more modern dual setup where (I think) if you rupture a break line, you still have one front and one rear diagonal brakes still working.
In saying this, as with all my modifications, I want it to be reversable, so that I can go back to original setup in the future if required.

Brad

Offline NOSMustangSupplies

• Thoroughbred
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 06:26:47 pm »
BRAD.

safety is the number one issue first and formost.

i personally think if you put new brake lines, crossover tubes, applicable brake fluid and stainless steel lines from front to back you will never have any issue.

And i really like the idea that a female will be driving this car, they seem to be a good in finding problems and issues us males seem to either avoid or just put up with as part of owning a vintage mustang.

you could use a brake booster from something like a falcon or as Pete suggested the company from Castlemain could help you with a better alternative.

reagrds.

PHILL  BERESFORD.
NOS MUSTANG SUPPLIES.
0412 455049.

Offline 66redcoupe

• Pony
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 01:20:11 am »
Hi, I also went down the route of falcon XA rotors and WB Holden calipers with the castlemain rod shop adaptors. I also got a VH40 inline booster to use. Fitted it all up, except plumbing in the VH40, and then discovered 14 inch wheels will not fit this set up. This is no good as I already had bought a new set of 14 inch style steel wheels. So it all came off again and I have now fitted a new set of 67 front drum brakes. The other gear now just sits in my shed. Hope this helps, Scott

Offline mswyld

• Stallion
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 02:09:50 pm »
XA XB BOOSTER WILL NOT FIT WITH THE MANUAL CLUTCH LINKAGES COMING THROUGH THE FIRE WALL

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline mswyld

• Stallion
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 11:25:33 am »
decided to go for the vh40 remote booster! see how that goes getting fitted

Offline Hally

• Pony
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 01:26:22 pm »
66redcoupe,

With the setup you have, it would be worth trying either HQ PBR calipers. It would be my guess that because you have WB calipers they are Girlocks and it seems that it is a common problem for them to foul 14" styled steel rims. If needed I could send you some photos of my HQ caliper setup and the 14" wheels I have on my 66.

Regards,

Andrew

Offline mswyld

• Stallion
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 01:28:20 pm »
I HAVE THE HQ CALIPERS WITH SLOTTED ROTORS
 I HAVE 17" WHEELS ON IT ANYWAY BUT YOUR RIGHT THE 14'S WONT FIT

Offline Hally

• Pony
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 01:32:10 pm »
Just to confirm, HQ PBR calipers will fit in a 14" wheel. Girlocks are a different story. Holdens came with both PBR's and Girlock's over the years (and I think ran the same brake pad).

Offline 66redcoupe

• Pony
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 01:27:10 pm »
Thanks Andrew and others for the info re HQ calipers. Yes Andrew, would like to see a photo of your disc brake installation with the HQ calipers, yes you are right, my WB units are girlocks. Perhaps I can get some disc brakes on my 14 inch style steel rims yet!
Thanks, Scott

Offline Hally

• Pony
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 01:16:08 pm »
Scott,

My home email address is thehalls@aapt.net.au

Drop me a line and I will respond back with some photos.

Regards,

Andrew

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 05:18:11 pm »
hi,

i am about to put an rrs strut kit under the front end...

it a combination of falcon bits and pieces it may be of interest to yourself....

Offline mswyld

• Stallion
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 08:53:22 pm »
just had the brakes done!

we have gotten over the drama of the brake booster!

i was given xf spindles and xf rotors with hq calipers

having trouble with the spindles not being long enough for the split pin to go through and the tighter you make the nut that holds on the rotor the lhd drivers side just jams!

am i better off putting the original spindles back on and using xb rotors with the hq calipers?

anyones help would be great on this one! :_:_:_:2:2:2

Offline Hally

• Pony
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 08:33:22 am »
mswyld,

Not sure what model Mustang you have but something seems odd....

If you have XF spindles and XF discs I can't understand why you would have problems with the split pin hole. Are you sure that they are both from an XF and are you using the correct bearings?? If you do go down the XF route (which I hear can cause bump steer issues in 64 - 66 models) why not use XF calipers????

Like I have mentioned in a previous post, I use the XA-XB discs on the original Mustand Spindle with the Mustangs of Melboure caliper bracket and HQ PBR calipers. This combo works fine (after I went to smaller rear whell cylinders).

I have sent pictures of my setup to a couple of people and would be more than happy to send them to you also. Just drop me an email and I will reply. If you are in Melbourne I would be more than happy to show you first hand.

Out of interest, what set up did you go for with the master cylinder?

Cheers,

Andrew

Offline mswyld

• Stallion
Disc brake conversion
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 09:14:57 am »
hopper stoppers 7" chrome booster and master cylinder

we had to adjust the clutch linkages through the firewall so that the booster would fit!