Which IFS is best for a cruiser 67'?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Which IFS is best for a cruiser 67'?  (Read 18245 times)

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
  • Not a bogan, but I like dem big V8's!
  • Name: Hugh
Which IFS is best for a cruiser 67'?
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:30:12 pm »
Well hopefully I'm close to getting a nice 67' fastback on its way to my place!
One of my first choices is what front end to fit. As the car I'm hoping to get is a restored shell I'm starting from scratch running gear wise.

I'd always thought of using RRS's front struts together with their powered RHD rack, and I do still like them, however I've just seen the front end from Waddingtons (Rod Shop) in Castlemaine. Like some set ups from the state's it's the whole job, powered rack, upgraded brakes and adjustable IFS. It's just over half the cost of going the RRS route and the shop (of course) claims their kit is better than the RRS gear...

The other choice is buying something in the states from one if the many suppliers, and getting it fitted before it leaves. I'm also liking the TCP rack more these days, and also the cheaper idea of fitting a reconditioned XF Falcon powered box. But still the idea of a single set up that replaces and upgrades brakes, steering and front suspension all in one go, and for a better price, appeals.

So what's the best thing? Whose got what?
I'm not racing but want decent brakes and handling. And as my car has nothing under there I need to buy it all. Has anyone tried the Rod Shop set up?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:49:05 pm by mungus »
Grumpy old git!

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Re: Which IFS is best for a cruiser 67'?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 05:55:19 pm »
You couldn't pay me to put a rack on a car

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:08:39 pm »
You can get the stock design to work very well with a few minor upgrades coupled with improved  alignment specifications. So do not feel you will be left with a bad handling car if using stock layout. Most of the upgrade kits still use the factory mounting points so mechanically you get the same behaviour - hence stock layout with a Shelby drop with a good set of quality shocks and a modern figures based wheel alignment works very well.

Any case, lots of different options here - at the end of the day do what you want to do. Saying that;

I am not a great fan of the simple bolt in racks either and both my RHD cars are using the XF box with upgraded stock like components. There are some excellent kits around where my favourite (only looking on paper but I would like to try one as it ticks all my boxes) is the Detroit Speed offering though I am not sure a RHD version is available.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1964-1970-mustang-products/032050-aluma-frame.html#

There are also the less expensive Mustang II type kits but often they look weak around the wish bone mounting points from my engineering perspective view. I would likely strengthen that area if I felt it was needed once I had one in my hands.

Keep looking around and if you moving away from stock also consider what your engineer is prepared to sign off on. So ask him before you spend the dollars.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:51:31 pm »
Boof how fast was that 65 FB at Willow bank the other weekend? it was lapping late/current model HSV commodores, no trouble, made them look silly. When we looked at it in the pits had tweaked factory suspension, XF box, discs on the back and a watts link. The Holdens had no answer for it it lapped them all in 6 laps of QR. Thats all you need.

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
  • Not a bogan, but I like dem big V8's!
  • Name: Hugh
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:18:37 pm »
Thing is Boofhead, like I said in my first post, my car doesn't have ANY stock suspension or steering and I'm not inclined to pay good $$$ for standard 1960's stuff if I'm going from scratch.

I'm tempted to buy all TCP stuff. I like their front coil over spring conversion kit and their rear G link or G arm set up. I'm not anti boxes either, hence the XF idea, however the rack idea has been getting a few fans of late, hence I'm considering them.
The racks do have another advantage for me to, in that I'm going RHD and they have rack kits ready made for that, so there's no need to reinforce and add crush tubes etc for a RH box.

Anyway back to the subject. Has anyone fitted one of those Rod Shop IFS set ups?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:32:00 pm by mungus »
Grumpy old git!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 08:38:08 pm »
I never reuse the old parts, i chuck them in the bin, I buy a whole new set of stock arms, its like $300, they are cheap as, set of Kings springs, Koni shocks 24mm sway bar, trust me this 65 Fastback road rego trounced the best Holden has to offer with basically modified stock suspension, it was so much faster it was not funny

Offline RuffCoupe

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:52:18 pm »
That setup should work well in a coupe too I guess  :burnout:

Cheers

J

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 09:33:10 pm »
I'm not inclined to pay good $$$ for standard 1960's stuff if I'm going from scratch.

Why?  The "60's stuff" works great, and OEM spec will probably last longer then most "new stuff" these days... 

For a "cruiser" the stock stuff with minor tweaks is more than adequate.  If you want to spend a few $k on RRS or similar, go for it... but do a Shelby drop, roller perches if you like, as Shaun notes an upgraded sway bar (a whole extra $50 or so), good shock (I like Bilsteins), dial in the alignment and your going to be fine ... but no I'd agree with the view that there is little real value in the upgrades for typical street/highway cruising... other than bragging rights about how much you spent...
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:45:21 pm »
I am taking the upgraded stock route, using Open tracker control arms, roller perch, and adjustable strut rods, running bilstein shocks. By all accounts once setup these are awesome, however I can't comment on that yet.
What I can say is that you get a high quality part for a decent price, and in the future if something breaks or wears out, it can be replaced with a stock part from your local

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 09:47:45 pm »
Seriously if you wanna spend ya money buy your you buet suspension, but the hot rod supplers all seen  to sell upgraded suspension being mustang style for all the other makes, so it cant be all that bad, anyway how fast you gunna take a classic round corners!
luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 10:43:05 pm »
Boof how fast was that 65 FB at Willow bank the other weekend? it was lapping late/current model HSV commodores, no trouble, made them look silly. When we looked at it in the pits had tweaked factory suspension, XF box, discs on the back and a watts link. The Holdens had no answer for it it lapped them all in 6 laps of QR. Thats all you need.

Yes indeed - it was very impressive as it was dialled in perfectly and worked so well.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 10:52:45 pm »
I am taking the upgraded stock route, using Open tracker control arms, roller perch, and adjustable strut rods, running bilstein shocks. By all accounts once setup these are awesome, however I can't comment on that yet.
What I can say is that you get a high quality part for a decent price, and in the future if something breaks or wears out, it can be replaced with a stock part from your local

Yes - it is a very good set of components. I strongly suggest a Shelby drop as well. I am using some/most of those parts myself.  If your serious in terms of road work then look at possible a Watts link setup which really controls the rear very well. Other possible suppliers of suspension parts is 'Street and Track' as well as 'Maier Racing'. Having said that Good standard parts (upper and lower arms) using Moog bushes and ball joints with a Shelby drop uprated front sway bar, and springs with good shocks (front and back) with a front alignment with 6 deg positive caster works very well on the street.

Note: Under the Restmods sub-forum there is a turbo 6 build using a Mustang II front setup. Check it out for some ideas. I have a number of friends using the TCP parts including TCP rack for RHD conversion convenience. All working fine so go with what appeals to you.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:57:09 pm by boofhead »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 12:25:37 am »
Yes - it is a very good set of components. I strongly suggest a Shelby drop as well. I am using some/most of those parts myself.  If your serious in terms of road work then look at possible a Watts link setup which really controls the rear very well.

Yeah I am doing the shelby drop also. Blueprinted upper arms, roller bearing lowers. The rear is getting the del-a-lum shackle kit with bilstein shocks.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 05:50:55 am »
OK coil over shocks do not work any better than the tradional ones . . installing roller bearings on the inner lower arm bushing is overkill and will create a harsher ride . . anytime you install a hard bushing in place of a soft one your ride will become harsher. . the point is that it is incredibly easy to destroy the comfort/ride of your car . .
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:53:37 am by barnett468 »

Offline booah

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 07:49:56 am »
Check out Mike Maier inc
http://www.mikemaierinc.com

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 09:48:19 am »
My '68 coupe has basically stock suspension setup with Bilstein sports gas  shocks all round and a 1" Kmac stabiliser up front and handles very well. It was set up by a professional Mustang rally car builder who believes there is no point going to coil overs and that Rack and pinion steering, in most cases will increase your turn radius. His advice on my Mustang ha always been good.

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: jimmy hatziv
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 02:05:30 pm »
Can some one please explain the Shelby Drop, is it the mod where new holes are drilled above the OEM ones on sub frame?

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 02:08:36 pm »
Can some one please explain the Shelby Drop, is it the mod where new holes are drilled above the OEM ones on sub frame?
take a look here !  :thumb:

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-13525187779972/aarms.pdf
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: jimmy hatziv
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 03:22:33 pm »
Thanks Hertz thats what i thought but the other way round, has anybody done this?

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 05:33:17 pm »
I have completed a Shelby drop on my 65. So have a lot of people I know.
Questions?

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 06:07:25 pm »
installing roller bearings on the inner lower arm bushing is overkill and will create a harsher ride . . anytime you install a hard bushing in place of a soft one your ride will become harsher. . the point is that it is incredibly easy to destroy the comfort/ride of your car . .

With adjustable strut rods the stock bushings can be put in a bit of a bind the more castor you try to get out of moving the control arm. From what I have been told replacing the lower arm with roller bearings will allow the control arm to perform a lot better with adjustable strut rods.
I have had a few cars that I have replaced the control arms with spherical bearings, and I never noticed a harsher ride. A bit firmer, not harsher. The harshness factor came into effect with shock/springs setup, not the control arms. Personal experience only. ;)

Offline cap70

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 06:26:50 pm »
With adjustable strut rods the stock bushings can be put in a bit of a bind the more castor you try to get out of moving the control arm. From what I have been told replacing the lower arm with roller bearings will allow the control arm to perform a lot better with adjustable strut rods.
I have had a few cars that I have replaced the control arms with spherical bearings, and I never noticed a harsher ride. A bit firmer, not harsher. The harshness factor came into effect with shock/springs setup, not the control arms. Personal experience only. ;)
:pop:

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 07:25:55 pm »
I have completed a Shelby drop on my 65. So have a lot of people I know.
Questions?

Shelby drop on my 65 with King KFFL59 springs made a big difference on mine.
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 09:13:13 pm »
OK coil over shocks do not work any better than the tradional ones . . installing roller bearings on the inner lower arm bushing is overkill and will create a harsher ride . . anytime you install a hard bushing in place of a soft one your ride will become harsher. . the point is that it is incredibly easy to destroy the comfort/ride of your car . .
I'd be more worried about the roller perch bearings annealing as they don't rotate 360 deg..
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:59 pm »
I'd be more worried about the roller perch bearings annealing as they don't rotate 360 deg..

Meh, the open tracker perches have been out for over 10 years, and I have seen no negative reporting yet.
And if the bearing does go in the future, i'll just press a new bearing in ;)