Building a Bullit vs. importing...

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Building a Bullit vs. importing...  (Read 35347 times)

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
  • Not a bogan, but I like dem big V8's!
  • Name: Hugh
Re: Building a Bullit vs. importing...
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 02:55:50 am »
I've heard bad things about the RRS setup.

I had the TCP one already installed in mine when I bought it and I've heard these are better.
I've also heard, rebuilding the steering box is the best way to go from those that ditched their RRS setup.

OK, good to know, it's always good to hear other views before buying.  :thumb:

I do like some of TCP's stuff, however I can't say I've heard those RRS comments. In fact I've read one high end restomod story which quoted one of the best things they did as being fitting a RRS powered steering rack...
Certainly quite a few respected professional mustang builders stateside use RRS gear. So personally I'd be taking criticism of RRS's stuff with a grain of salt and wanting some justification on solid technical points before I wrote them off.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:01:19 am by mungus »
Grumpy old git!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 07:13:50 am »
So personally I'd be taking criticism of RRS's stuff with a grain of salt and wanting some justification on solid technical points before I wrote them off.

I absolutely agree, in fact it'd be wise to start a separate thread here asking for opinions on steering, suspension, etc. I'm sure you will get first some hand experience.

One common practice is people will replace their clapped out old steering box with a brand new rack and pinion and comment on how miraculous the difference is.  Well of course; they are comparing worn out junk with something brand new.  The real comparison would be to compare a brand new or reco'd steering box with a brand new rack & pinion otherwise it's not comparing oranges with oranges.

Myself, I only know what a TCP R&P feels like and can't tell you how the other options compare.

s
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:49:29 am by StephenSLR »

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 08:47:52 am »
Looks like a roller is the way. I agree that any fairly complete 67/68 fastback should do, as I'm making a non standard car, so paying S code premiums is a waste of $.
Have seen some for sale now, albeit real junk piles. But then as I'm doing a nut and bolt job that's not the end if the world.
I know you'd prefer a crap heap that you can put your stamp on with your build, but there's a nice looking '68 on Ebay at the moment that might end up going for around $40K AUD: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261931835787

You may be hard pressed to get a junker of a standard you could be confident of getting import approval for much less and there would be several grand worth of drivetrain  and other parts you could sell on locally to help reduce the net cost.

Shipping wise several places pitch at around $3500 AUD for USA to Melbourne. Sound about right from anyone's experience?
Depends if it's an 'all in' price or not.  If it includes USA paperwork, ocean freight, marine insurance and all Aussie customs and brokerage charges then it's a good price.  If it's just to get it as far as the docks here then no.  PM me if you'd like details of the shippers and customs people I used.

Also be aware that USA inland road freight to port can easily add $1,000 USD or more on top of everything else.

A related question, anyone know of folks having their permit to import refused?
Would be a bummer to buy a car then be told I can't ship it! Can't see why if u fill the form as directed etc?
This was the thing about importing that pissed me off more than anything else - it's such a chicken and egg situation. 

You are advised not to commit to a car until you have import approval for it, but in the 2 - 4 weeks it takes to get the approval, you may well have lost the car to someone else.  Obviously the more of a bargain a vehicle is, the more likely you are to miss out! Not too many people will hold a car on a small deposit for a month while you cool your heels waiting for import approval to come through...  :ouch: 

And people do apparently get knocked back sometimes - mainly if there is doubt as to the bona fides and/or viability of the vehicle as a registerable proposition (parts cars are a big no-no).

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:51:09 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 08:59:44 am »
Thanks Brian, sage advice.

So approvals wise, does it have to look like a runner? Can you call customs for advice or are they above speaking to the public these days; "read the website" line etc.

Most of the 68' fast backs I've found are complete rust buckets, but basically complete.
Grumpy old git!

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 09:04:45 am »
Gateway Classic in Missouri built a Bullitt Mustang for Chad McQueen.

You may find some of this usefull

I visited them when I did Route 66 and they told me they could build one from scratch with Dyncorn body and RHD for Aus., not sure if it would comply to current ADR's though they'd have no problem restoring and old one I'm sure.

Yup seen that one on the web, several stories on it in fact. Nice car but again to me it's not a real Bullit replica. No 390, bigger wheels etc. Initially I was surprised to see that happen, being the man's son, but I guess being a McQueen he can make his own Bullit and it'll still be regarded as something special!
Grumpy old git!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 09:16:20 am »
Depends if it's an 'all in' price or not.  If it includes USA paperwork, ocean freight, marine insurance and all Aussie customs and brokerage charges then it's a good price.  If it's just to get it as far as the docks here then no.

True, there are even dock fees once the car is here; if you want the car taken from the ship to the warehouse and released, plus cleaning fees if the car doesn't pass quarantine.

Here's some reading:

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,10569.0.html

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 10:56:58 am »
Thanks Steve,

Food for thought indeed. Although perhaps it was a batch issue they are over now?
To be fair all manufacturers can be afflicted by that sort of thing.
I'd be surprised if they were all like that as they've had several good reviews from the press and known builders etc.

I do like the subframe idea with the TCP rack too. I guess I am drawn to RRS a bit by them being local, as it can be a real pain chasing problems in the USA etc.
I've also been impressed by the RRS stuff I seen in the flesh. Nicely made and looks like it should do the business.

In the end I'll be buying a fair pile of their stuff so I may go to SYD and have a face to face with RRS and check out their stuff before I buy it all.
Grumpy old git!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 01:09:31 pm »
Although perhaps it was a batch issue they are over now?

I'm not sure; I'm only going from what I've heard and I thought I'd share. I'm sure when all the kinks are ironed out the RRS racks do the job, otherwise they'd be out of business.

s

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 08:35:54 pm »
True, there are even dock fees once the car is here; if you want the car taken from the ship to the warehouse and released, plus cleaning fees if the car doesn't pass quarantine.
Yup - forgot to mention those little extras... 

I reckon the ideal is to have a US company manage the export clearance and getting it on the ship and an Aussie company look after things once it lands on the docks here.  That way each end is handled by a local expert which hopefully minimizes the chance of hiccups along the way - just my 2c.

So approvals wise, does it have to look like a runner? Can you call customs for advice or are they above speaking to the public these days; "read the website" line etc.
I've only been through the sausage grinder once and by no means an expert.  What I do know is since the import approval process is handled by the Department of Infrastructure, there's no real point talking to Customs.  Once you have the approval, Customs is obliged to let it through unless there are other issues found (e.g. quarantine, contraband, etc.)

Dunno if you can talk to anyone from DoI for advice, but my gut feel would be you will have a much better chance of avoiding any hassles if the car at least looks like a complete running vehicle in the photos (e.g. all panels fitted and same colour paint, glass in all windows, etc.)  If it looks like a parts car or a pile of rust on wheels I think you may strike trouble...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2015, 09:23:47 pm »
Well just to make sure I called Dept of Infastructure today and the bloke told me it doesn't have to be a runner at all. As long as the photos and description satisfy their resident engineers that it's a complete car, with no serious mods, it's OK.

I even specifically asked about a resto project with some of the car in bits, and he said its no issue as long as they can see it's all there and the major parts are standard looking. Said they do quite a few basket cases just like that...

Also called that husband and wife mustang importing / sales team in NSW, that someone recommended here, (Forgotten her name now), and they seemed nice. $2800 all inc except AQIS if required, ex LAX to SYD.

Bidding on a 1967 fastback 289 manual now. It's a rusted out sh*t box basically, but it is complete. Don't think I'll get it, as it's got 5 days to go and already $8K AUD, plus it's East Coast so that's another grand... Might have to cool my heels and wait for the right one.
Grumpy old git!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:41 pm »
Bringing in a roller / no motor is fine ,but the shippers hate them but that their problem . 2800 is a good price but make sure that's all up  plus GST on car ( not including what you said) and make sure that's in a box/ container and not roll on roll off .
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:34:25 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2015, 10:00:48 pm »
Yup it's in a container.  She emphasised they pay more for decent  packing etc.
GST would be my problem in any case...
That' price is shipping, paperwork, approvals, processing etc.
Add 1K USD for getting it over to LAX then maybe $500 to my home from SYD.
So in round numbers I'm looking at $5K to get that particular car home.

Curious as to what folks here think a complete but rusted out 67 fastback manual would go for... There seems quite a bit of interest in the dung pile I'm bidding on now!
Grumpy old git!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2015, 10:10:08 pm »
About 1k in USD would be about right but to long beach not LAX  :grin: unless they plan on flying it over  :grin: . Price wise who knows ,but a good rust free restorer should be around 20k I would think these days as the prices have gone through the roof in the last 12 mths or so .  Get onto Barnett 468 and ask him as he is in southern CA .

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2015, 10:39:54 pm »
Thanks Steve,

Food for thought indeed. Although perhaps it was a batch issue they are over now?
To be fair all manufacturers can be afflicted by that sort of thing.
I'd be surprised if they were all like that as they've had several good reviews from the press and known builders etc.

Dont waste your money on RRS. Ive had all sorts of dramas with mine. If i had my time again i would of recoed the original gear. Ive learnt to live with the truck like turning circle. I know personally of a few others that have had problems with RRS racks. Poor build quality, not easy to install, parts missing etc.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2015, 11:36:30 pm »
$2800 all inc except AQIS if required, ex LAX to SYD.
Don't now how they are able to do everything for that price.  Just to break it down a little with some (not too conservative) numbers:

- Sea freight in shared container: $1500
- Marine insurance: $300
- Wharf charges in Australia: $500
- Brokerage/Customs charges: $1000

That's already $3300 without any allowance for USA export inspection/processing, local Customs lodgement/inspection fees, bonded storage, etc.  And also without a dollar of profit for the people who are bringing the car in for you.

Oh and rollers usually cost more for shipping and USA inland transport.

I would be asking lots of questions...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:39:47 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 09:32:15 pm »

Shipping wise several places pitch at around $3500 AUD for USA to Melbourne. Sound about right from anyone's experience?

I paid $3k in 2011 to ship my car from LA to Melbourne. I used Brock Classic Imports and they handled everything for me, all I had to do was turn up at Lilydale and drive the car home. Because they are registered Customs agents, you can buy the car and they are able to start shipping without getting the approval first. I suggest you give Danny Brock a call and ask some questions (mornings are the best time to get hold of him) and I'm sure he will be able to help you.
Buying a car from New Hampshire added US$1500 to the cost of shipping, so if you can find one in LA you're on a winner.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 11:00:42 pm »
Because they are registered Customs agents, you can buy the car and they are able to start shipping without getting the approval first.

Anyone can arrange to get a car shipped without import approval, but you can't get it released by Customs without one.  So in general it's not a great idea to do it - if there's problems with getting the approval you may end up paying big $ for storage fees or worst case have to re-export the car or see it crushed...

Buying a car from New Hampshire added US$1500 to the cost of shipping, so if you can find one in LA you're on a winner.

If you do find a bargain on the East Coast, some transport companies can ship via Port of New Jersey.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:03:45 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 05:41:33 am »
Thanks everyone, good answers.
There certainly seems to be a range of prices for similar services there.
Id imagine the brokerage would be where savings are made.
Anyway waiting for another quote to come in.
Besides I haven't bought a car yet!

The only fastback project I've found is a pile of rust but it is original and complete and less than 9k AUD, so perhaps I'll get that, but not if the auction goes any higher...
I've priced the panels from mustang depot (anywhere better?), and it may be doable but if prefer something easier!

We will see!
Grumpy old git!

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 06:28:50 pm »
Anyone can arrange to get a car shipped without import approval, but you can't get it released by Customs without one.  So in general it's not a great idea to do it - if there's problems with getting the approval you may end up paying big $ for storage fees or worst case have to re-export the car or see it crushed...

If you do find a bargain on the East Coast, some transport companies can ship via Port of New Jersey.

Yes it can be a risk shipping without an approval, but as Brocks were handling everything from pick up from the customer, US transport, shipping and Customs clearance, approval is assured as long as I had a clear title to the car and it wasn't outrageously modified.
I looked into shipping from the East Coast, but due to the extra cost and that so few ships sail to Oz from there, I didn't want my car sitting on the docks for weeks waiting for a ship.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2015, 09:29:58 am »
I looked into shipping from the East Coast, but due to the extra cost and that so few ships sail to Oz from there, I didn't want my car sitting on the docks for weeks waiting for a ship.

Yeah I got keen on a couple of East Coast cars when I was looking around.  It wasn't so much the cost or the availability of shipping dates that put me off in the end (both were reasonable), it was the fact that the ships go the l-o-n-g way around and your car ends up being on the water for a couple of months!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:18:07 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2015, 09:39:50 am »
I noticed in the latest Unique Cars magazine that www.musclecarfactory.com.au is selling 67FB shells that are basically Dynacorn assembled by them as right hand drive, and they are putting together cars for full rego.  They mention about ADR compliance etc. so they must know how to do it.

I think the price is somewhere around $30K for a shell. But it is right-hand drive already and won't have any rust.  Obviously all the extra pieces to turn it into a real car will be a motza, but you're already talking TCP or RRS for underneath. So motor and interior. I suppose they would have already done the hard work.  But still no VIN - not sure how that would work.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:25 am »
Scollist, this was spoken about earlier, and these cars must be registered a kit cars and probably aren't eligible for mustang club membership. Basically it would be a Kit car that looks like a Mustang.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2015, 10:25:57 am »
Scollist, this was spoken about earlier, and these cars must be registered a kit cars and probably aren't eligible for mustang club membership. Basically it would be a Kit car that looks like a Mustang.

Thanks Ron.  But this actual company with some knowledge wasn't spoken about in this thread. Only the reference to Dynacorn shells.

Yes, the ADR compliance may not be in line with what Mungus wants to do, but it cant hurt to ask those with knowledge.

And I disagree that it wouldn't qualify for MOCA membership in Victoria. While I am no expert in the club we are a pretty inclusive club, and I'd be disappointed if we rejected someone who has a love for mustangs that goes down this path just because it doesn't have a VIN. Especially when it could be identical to a car next to it at a show that is a member of the club.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2015, 10:40:46 am »
I disagree that it wouldn't qualify for MOCA membership in Victoria.

I think he's referring to historic rego; anyone with or without a Mustang can be a member of the club.

;)

s