Question about registering my Mustang in Qld for the first time

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Question about registering my Mustang in Qld for the first time  (Read 11752 times)

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
Hey Guys - in the next week or so I will be taking my 66 Mustang into Qld Transport for new registration after I get the Safety Certificate from my mechanic. I plan on getting CTP before this day so I can legally drive the car from home direct to my local Qld Transport. I am guessing I need to complete the registration application form and have the CTP paperwork ready with the DOTARS Import Approval letter and Bill of Sale from owner in USA. I assume the Qld Transport worker will then go outside to verify VIN and Engine number. As I have been told that 65/66 Mustangs did not have engine numbers, would it be OK to use the last part of the VIN as a substitute for an engine number and if so, do I need to have this number stamped into the engine somewhere? I have my own personalised plated that I will take with me so I should be OK putting these on the car after the registration process is finaled. I have to pay and $900 in Duty fees based on approx $25,000 value of the car and eight cylinders which is $4 for every $100 of value. Can you guys please let me know if I have forgotten anything?

Many thanks,

Stuart from Cairns.
 :thumb:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
You will need to sort out the engine number 1st ,and yes it needs one stamped on the engine . Then with the import approval .RWC , the bill of sale , a filled out fitting sheet for the plates . If you are going to put it on club rego more paper work .  The engine number is before the RWC or LO2/08 .  Full rego or club?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:40:32 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
It will be full rego, thanks, I forgot about the form to fit my own plates  :thumb:

Offline Ray68

• Thoroughbred
I went through the same thing you are about to with your car. All sounds good. They don't need to see the car however if you have it with you they may ask to see it and will just check the compliance plate. They shouldn't look for the engine number as this should have been sorted when complianced. When I did mine the girl wanted to see the import plate   :lmao:

Fortunately one of the other girls there has mustangs and set her straight on that one. Fitted my plates there and drove away on full rego.
68 Coupe
351W, mild cam, Performer intake
FMX tranny
9" diff
Petronix Ignitor III Ignition
Hedman Elite headers
24" Alloy radiator - twin thermos

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
I went through the same thing you are about to with your car. All sounds good. They don't need to see the car however if you have it with you they may ask to see it and will just check the compliance plate. They shouldn't look for the engine number as this should have been sorted when complianced. When I did mine the girl wanted to see the import plate   :lmao:

Fortunately one of the other girls there has mustangs and set her straight on that one. Fitted my plates there and drove away on full rego.
I think you must have been very lucky, I have had 3 fresh imports that I have put on full rego and because they have never been registered before they have insisted on inspecting both the vin and the engine number.
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
If no block number just use the casting number on the underside of the block where the gearbox bolts up too etc. And as for telling them what u paid on stamp duty they don't need to know why make things more expencive for yourself. Just put a much smaller amount down.

From what I'm told now they don't check them because that's the roadworthys guys job to do. Qld transport have desided to let them do the checks rather then some office girl that knows nothing about cars.

And as for lo2 that's a thing of the past just change ur headlights and off you go. don't need to get them done u less you like wasting money.
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Yes L02 and L08 has gone if its pre 1969 .  You do need a engine number for them and the RWC guy . Pm me for details how to do that .  I always show them the bill of sale from the USA and that's what they want unless you bought it here . Rewrite one for a less price well that's up to you .

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
Yes L02 and L08 has gone if its pre 1969 .  You do need a engine number for them and the RWC guy . Pm me for details how to do that .  I always show them the bill of sale from the USA and that's what they want unless you bought it here . Rewrite one for a less price well that's up to you .

Last five recent imports registered by me in QLD, three at Greenslopes and two in Townsville, a Bill of Sale or Receipt was not accepted and was then required to fill out a Statement of Acquisition Form for each car.

This has to show Date, Price paid and Sellers details.

This is a legally binding Statutory Declaration, which is kept by Transport on the cars Registration file.

With Anna Packofs***'s Treasury broker than any QLD government before, who knows when it will be before they find this stream of recoverable revenue!.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:08:25 am by Ausfox »
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Aus fox  the last 5 or 6 I just gave them the original bill of sale from the USA seller ,and for the amount i paid in US dollars ,just the same as the amount on the import duty paper work ,and 2 or 3 I had to fill out a stat dec and I had no problems with that .  If you do your own bill of sale with your own amount and a false sellers name (here)  in Australia well that would be fraud Wouldnt it ? .  When I asked them they said the bill of sale from the seller even from the USA .   They didn't even try and convert it into Aust dollars ( thank God)  or even the rest of the costs like shipping etc .

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
Aus fox  the last 5 or 6 I just gave them the original bill of sale from the USA seller ,and for the amount i paid in US dollars ,just the same as the amount on the import duty paper work ,and 2 or 3 I had to fill out a stat dec and I had no problems with that .  If you do your own bill of sale with your own amount and a false sellers name (here)  in Australia well that would be fraud Wouldnt it ? .  When I asked them they said the bill of sale from the seller even from the USA .   They didn't even try and convert it into Aust dollars ( thank God)  or even the rest of the costs like shipping etc .

Obviously, Motor Registry staff in Greenslopes, Townsville City, Townsville Garbutt and Cairns (where I assisted a new purchaser to register his car) do not know what they are doing.

Have always used my original U.S Bill's of Sale up until a couple of years ago when Statement of Acquisition's were introduced.

Must be a discrimination thing against the north!!.

In thirty years of importing, over two hundred vehicles, including 144 Mustangs, I have never advised anyone to Falsely state the Declared Value for Stamp Duty purposes and am a little concerned that posters on this thread would publicly encourage others to do so, or to insinuate that I have done so.
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
i had to pay stamp duty on the lower value in Glass's guide for the nana car i just registered at Maroochydore.
Even though i had the receipt, the bimbo wouldnt accept that i paid $100 for a 91 Festiva, looked up on the interweb and set the price at $800.
That $6 was gonna buy me 1/2 a tank of petrol.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Question about registering my Mustang in Qld for the first time
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 08:50:15 am »
Ausfox no no no I wasn't saying you at all .  What I was saying was some people do that when they have bought and imported a car from overseas and don't use the original bill of sale that they got . I have only registered maybe 20 cars that I have bought in from overseas and used the original bill of sale . And I haven't registered one for about 3 years now so things might have changed .

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
I  now have a digital copy of the Statement of Acquisition of a Vehicle  from Qld Transport so if anyone would like me to email it just send me a PM. :thumb:

Offline Sundance Kid

• Thoroughbred
  • Wtd time machine ..... in good working order
  • Name: Tony
It's surprising how some things change in differents parts of the state and had two differents experiences first time was casual didn't need title or bill of sale , the other wanted everything . Good luck and take all the paper work or they may make come back
1970 boss 302 mustang