Importing an '08 Mustang...

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing an '08 Mustang...  (Read 5662 times)

Offline Makinsmoke

• L Plates
« on: January 06, 2008, 06:39:55 pm »
Hey There...

I just recently decided to import a new mustang and I'm completely new to the whole business. I'm importing because it's cheaper than buying through a dealer here with the Shelby GT500s coming in at $200,000 at some places... Hell, the V6 version is nearly $80,000. I've checked out some things and and was told that you must own the car for 1 year prior to privately import. I think it's rediculous and I really want to know if there is a way to bi-pass the wait time?

Any help would be much appreceiated.

Offline johnpony

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:20:54 pm »
Sorry to say Makinsmoke that 1 year is correct and you need proof that the car is registered in the states in your name for the year to evade the import tax and bring in as a personal import. I know it stupid but by the time you bring it into the country and convert and rego it will be about 16 months old [took 3 months for mine as i ordered it with full options]. I spose that is how the dealers make money most people dont want to wait that long.You might want to look into compliancing as i know it can be very dificult also converting i know a lot of converters would rather do there own cars than someones personal import as they make more money selling there own ones.
Enjoy The Ride.    John Pony

2007 GT Tungsten Grey Premium Coupe. Auto.
IUP, Charcoal Aluminium Interior, Comfort Group, GT Apperance Package, Polished Exhaust Tips, 17" Polished Bullits, Hood Scoop, Shaker 1000, Shorty Antenna, Silver Racing Stripes, C&L CAI Predator Tune.

Offline Makinsmoke

• L Plates
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:06:44 am »
Ah well... I guess your right...

Thanks heaps John, you've been a tremendous help!

Offline johnpony

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:31:23 pm »
Dont get me wrong Makinsmoke i absolutley love the S197 model mustang and would buy one again in a second. But I don't see the point in spending 200k on a shelby you would not want to take out of the garage and drive on the road. I would much rather spend 90k on a second hand 05 and upgrade the brakes, suspension, rims, and supercharger which would make it lighter and faster than the shelby andf give you a one off customised high performance Mustang.

IUP, Charcoal Aluminium Interior, Comfort Group, GT Apperance Package, Polished Exhaust Tips, 17" Polished Bullits, Hood Scoop, Shaker 1000, Shorty Antenna, Silver Racing Stripes, C&L CAI Predator Tune.

Offline usa289

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 10:45:16 pm »
.... but does it then make it a SHELBY?

If you want a Shelby (and can afford it) then go for it ......

USA289
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline johnpony

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:19:58 pm »
I admit if i had a spare 200k just lying arround i would get one but i don't, wish i did though.